Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steel Lintel for Corner Window of a timber framed house

Options
  • 01-09-2015 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Has anyone had this done?
    I'm getting it done soon on my timber framed house and the Technical Department have said the post will be outside the window and a second post will hold up the timber framework.
    He can't show me a photo of this on previous builds so I'm clueless as to what it will look like. Will it be seen poking out?
    I'm just wondering if someone has had this done could advise me.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...how come this wasn't designed as part of the TF system ??? Nonsense to need two posts......we do it all the time, but if your TF hasn't allowed for their system to be involved in support of the outer leaf, then you're at a crossroads alright. Your Arch should have sorted this much earlier, when he signed off the TF system for manufacture.

Took this pic on a site a few years ago (not one of ours), just to show it is possible - specially designed lintel to take inner + outer leaf (and TF designed appropriately), with one post.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Shanry

it doesn't look too bad at all in your photos. I don't know what the hell the Arch was at, he was supposed to have sorted it out from the beginning but has been less than useless the whole way through. He never answers his phone or gets back to us!
    Would you mind sending me a pm of your company? I'd like to get a second opinion. The company we are dealing with now are the only ones we've tried.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

http://keystonelintels.com/

Used these in my own build. They are insulated lintels, my corner lintel is similar to the one in the picture provided by galwaytt. Single post used.

Shanry wrote: »
    it doesn't look too bad at all in your photos. I don't know what the hell the Arch was at, he was supposed to have sorted it out from the beginning but has been less than useless the whole way through. He never answers his phone or gets back to us!
    Would you mind sending me a pm of your company? I'd like to get a second opinion. The company we are dealing with now are the only ones we've tried.
    Thanks!

We don't do the lintels ourselves, so try Curious George's recommendation or another possibility is https://batmetalwork.com/

https://batmetalwork.com/BAT1/BAT1-MAIN/images/pdfs/SPECIAL_LINTELS.pdf

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

http://keystonelintels.com/

Used these in my own build. They are insulated lintels, my corner lintel is similar to the one in the picture provided by galwaytt. Single post used.

George did you happen to see the insulation they installed in the lintel or was it sealed up on the ends. If so don't expect it to be PIR insulation as I has a major issue with them whe I discovered Rockwool stuffed inside mine.

• Advertisement

hexosan wrote: »
    George did you happen to see the insulation they installed in the lintel or was it sealed up on the ends. If so don't expect it to be PIR insulation as I has a major issue with them whe I discovered Rockwool stuffed inside mine.

...imho the only insulation for places like that is XPS. This because of its resilience, durability and being impervious to moisture.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

hexosan wrote: »

It was XPS insulation. Its open ended each side. Had been after the frameless corner but it was a huge effort (and cost) and not too many window companies to work with if we went that option.

Advertisement