Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stair width- three storey house

• 03-09-2015 1:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I'm doing up a three storey mid terrace house and taking out the old stairs. Whats the minimum width of a stairs I can get away with?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Not less than 800mm clear space in a private dwelling
    Check out the up to date technical guidance docs for stairs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Technical Guidance Document Part K.
    It was slightly revised late in 2014.

Also be aware of your other requirements with 3 storey houses including protected enclosure, fire doors, fire alarm and escapeable windows from the rooms.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

kceire wrote: »
    Also be aware of your other requirements with 3 storey houses including protected enclosure, fire doors, fire alarm and escapeable windows from the rooms.

Its ok, the house is just for myself and the missus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

No it's not ok.

Yourself and your misses have to abide by the same rules as everyone else.

(edit: The rules are there to keep your and your family safe - can't understand why you would want to avoid them.)

What I meant to say is that I'm not getting a loan for this, so no bank to answer to, theres no architect signing off, etc. and the house is not for rent, its just for myself and and the missus, so theres no need for us to be going to needless expenses to comply with senseless regulations. Thanks for advice regarding stairs everyone though, much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

1. If you go to sell your house ignoring the building regulations at this point will mean a bank won't give anyone a loan to buy it.
    2. If you leave the house in your will to a family member they won't be able to sell it because you ignored the buidling regulations.

and there's one more minor point ....

3. If there's a fire your wife or another family member could die because you decided to ignore the building regulations.

I'd be interested to know which part of Technical Guidance Document B you think is senseless?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ruskin wrote: »
    What I meant to say is that I'm not getting a loan for this, so no bank to answer to, theres no architect signing off, etc. and the house is not for rent, its just for myself and and the missus, so theres no need for us to be going to needless expenses to comply with senseless regulations. Thanks for advice regarding stairs everyone though, much appreciated.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

http://insideireland.ie/2015/05/17/td-says-that-a-fire-in-which-a-man-died-at-a-house-in-stoneybatter-highlights-the-need-for-vigilance-around-fire-safety-108201/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

This attitude is completely mental, its like saying I wont bother NCT'ing my car as its only myself driving it.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

JimmyMW wrote: »
    This attitude is completely mental, its like saying I wont bother NCT'ing my car as its only myself driving it.

i wouldnt bother...

that poster has previous

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95641953&postcount=10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

sydthebeat wrote: »

I see your point, its no wonder conveyancing in this country takes so long when messing like this needs to be sorted out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Time to use the ignore option, really neat, right click on posters name

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Its ok, the house is just for myself and the missus.

Darwin Award please.

When you go for planning for this - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057485805 you will then have to lodge a commencement notice to building control. If they inspect, then you will have to comply with the full rigours of the building regulations, not just the ones you want to pick and choose from.

The fire regulations are there to prevent fire spread throughout the house, so god help you if you are ever in that situation.

kceire wrote: »
    Darwin Award please.

When you go for planning for this - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057485805 you will then have to lodge a commencement notice to building control. If they inspect, then you will have to comply with the full rigours of the building regulations, not just the ones you want to pick and choose from.

The fire regulations are there to prevent fire spread throughout the house, so god help you if you are ever in that situation.

If if's and buts were candy and nuts...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

If if's and buts were candy and nuts...

Ruskin we obey the law and building regulations on this forum, this attitude ends now.

BryanF wrote: »
    Ruskin we obey the law and building regulations on this forum, this attitude ends now.

Wow, thats me told.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Wow, thats me told.

Indeed....

Advertisement