Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PVS vs Alu Clad

Options
  • 11-08-2015 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Some quick advice - putting a sliding door at the back of our house.

The company have quoted €1,500 for PVC and €4,900 for alu clad.

Kinda stunned at this - I expected a cost difference but not triple the price.

Am I being naive? was this to be expected? Or do they think we're set on the alu clad and are hoofing it in?

Cheers,
    quad
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

I think that's a fairly standard price difference.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

dos29 wrote: »
    I think that's a fairly standard price difference.

agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

quad_red wrote: »
    Kinda stunned at this - I expected a cost difference but not triple the price.

Nissan Note. Sticker price - from € 16,695
    Volvo XC90. Sticker price – from € 70,950
    Both are family cars with 4 wheels. One is 4 times the price of the other.

NB. Regardless of the framing material used sliding doors are notoriously ‘burglar friendly’. IMO it would be worth paying the extra for a door that has passed either PAS24 or EN 1627 (Class RC2) testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭D_D

fatty pang wrote: »
    Nissan Note. Sticker price - from € 16,695
    Volvo XC90. Sticker price – from € 70,950
    Both are family cars with 4 wheels. One is 4 times the price of the other.

NB. Regardless of the framing material used sliding doors are notoriously ‘burglar friendly’. IMO it would be worth paying the extra for a door that has passed either PAS24 or EN 1627 (Class RC2) testing.

My sliding doors and front door are passed to the 'Secure By Design' criteria. Is this equivalent to the PAS24 or EN 1627 codes?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

D_D wrote: »
    Is this equivalent to the PAS24 or EN 1627 codes?
    In a word – yes.
    PAS 24:2012 sets out the criteria and classification for enhanced security testing of windows & doors in the UK.
    EN1627 is the broadly similar European Standard but provides for increasing levels of security.

‘Secured By Design’ is based upon PAS24 but accepts EN1627 with a couple of additional UK specific tests. SBD also requires a third-party certification scheme including factory and product auditing to try and ensure the standard product is the same as what was sent for the certification testing.:rolleyes:

It’s not unknown for manufacturers to use SBD certified components – ironmongery, locks - and then assert that the whole product is ‘certified’. Similarly there can be ‘confusion’ on what products in a manufacturers range are SBD certified. And lastly SBD certification only covers products up to the size that has been tested and this requirement is occasionally ‘overlooked’ by the manufacturer.
    The SBD website has a list of certified products – manufacturer and their specific product. I understand that there were plans to have the certified sizes shown on the website but sadly that doesn’t seems to have been implemented for more than a handful of products.

UK Building Regs (England & Wales, Scotland) will shortly be introducing a security specific Approved Document Q (Technical Handbook in Scotland) that will require virtually all windows and doors in ‘accessible locations’ (ground floor or first floor ‘easily’ accessible) to meet the PAS24 standard (or ‘similar’ SPS/LPS standards). Thus every new dwelling will have to have enhanced security windows and doors, which evidence shows significantly reduces the incidence of burglary – for relatively little additional cost.
    Given the increasing incidence of burglary, particularly in Dublin, one would hope that our lads down in the Customs House will be following suit shortly. I won’t be holding my breath though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭little_monty

I've recently got aluclad windows and doors.

The aluclad were ~twice the price of equivalent (triple glaze) PVC.

I'm not surprised to hear a single door would be triple the cost.

In our case the sliding door was a big contributor to overall cost (though I don't have exact breakdown). I know we could have saved quite a bit if we went for same size French door instead of Slider.

Advertisement