Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roadie switching to MTB

• 21-08-2015 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

Been thinking about getting a MTB for the winter. A lot of the club members would switch from road to MTB over the winter and ride the local forest parks or trails. I'm not sure if I would like it or not but I'm going to give it a go anyway. Anybody did the same thing? Does it help keep in shape for the road or help your road cycling at all? I will still be getting out for some road cycling and turbo work but it's going to be a long winter and the MTB should help break that up a bit!

Next question is advice on a new bike! Spend decent amount or go cheap and see if I stick at it. My previous experience of buying cheap is that you usually buy twice! Budget currently in around 1300 euro!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

I do it for last few years to varying success especially at tail end of the winter. I take the dog up the ballyhouras for the company.

I do find it helps strength wise but that might have more to do with my waist and trek 4000 series bike which ain't the lightest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭bikedude

Where are you based, you could give it a go renting a bike with www.biking.ie before dropping the money on a new bike.

I do the opposite, use the road cycling to get fitter to go out mouthing biking but I think each one will help you develop more skills and confidence on the bike, and will be beneficial.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,614 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Have you thought of switching to CX OP? That seems much more popular over the winter months for roadies than MT Biking. The racing (both in Ireland and Ulster which is due to host the nationals in January) continues into the new year finishing just before the next road season starts

It's a discipline that is much closer to road with a similar drop bars bike setup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Lots of our club have done this over the last 2 winters.
    Much more likely to get out in bad weather as its all part of the fun.
    You tend to do less time but the efforts are intense.
    And an extra plus is the amount your bike handling skills develop.

We are lucky as the Connacht MTB league caters for every level so we get to do a bit of racing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Beasty wrote: »
    The racing (both in Ireland and Ulster which is due to host the nationals in January)

Is this some Ulster in a far-away land completely different to the Ulster in Ireland?
    What nation would be holding its championships there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

shaka wrote: »
    I take the dog up the ballyhouras

What you do in your own time is nobody's business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

It'll certainly make you stronger, it's more intense for shorter periods than Road cycling. You really need to dig in. Your upperbody will get stronger especially but youre cardiovascular and legs too. Used to love it for my 'short spins' I'd be just as knackered as my long road spins but with tired arms and shoulders too. Biggest problem for me with mtb was the price of everything and constant maintenance. I pretty much always had a replacement part in the post! Totally recommend it tho. If my shoulder wasn't do f""ked from a road crash ironically I'd still be doing it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

I also fancy doing this. Must get a new shed to make room first tho!

For that budget u get a pretty decent entry level full suspension

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/boardman-mountain-bike-team-full-suspension-650b

of course if ur looking at a hardtail a lot more brands come into the equation, Cube etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

No need to spend 1300.

Get a used 26 hardtail with tubeless wheels and a minimum of Rockshox Reba or Fox.

With 27.5 and 29 now the norm really good 26s have sold for a song. 700 is will get you a lovely bike.

Spend on decent lights and ditch the turbo.

No need for a winter bike when you have a mtb. You'll smile more when riding it, maybe more pain faces to ☺

27.5 in large

http://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/1819758/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

If you really want to spend the entire 1300 get yourself over to the canyon website there's some bargains to be had in their outlet store and they're starting to release the 2016 range so the 2015 stock is reduced.

They're new spectral for 2016 is stunning but way over budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I got a new Lapierre Raid 129 hardtail with disc brakes and 29" wheels for €500 about a month ago. Been doing woodland trails and road spins.

It's my first proper bike, I went out last Summer on a old steel bike, which was laying in the yard at home, that was too small for me and was surprised how much I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Don't do it. Mountain biking sucks, it's almost as bad as road riding!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I don't think MTB is a suitable winter option for a road cyclist. That's what CX is for ;)

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Can still take part in Cyclocross races on an MTB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

Treat it like intervals, Give it beans up the hills, and use the downhills to recoup a bit, or take it easier on the climbs and give it a bit more pace on the downhills, which requires a bit more focus, and is surprisingly tiring. 45km of MTB riding on trails will have a similar effect on the legs as 80k of a road spin

As someone above said, MTB is incredibly expensive, there is always something breaking, or you'll meet someone on the trail with something awesome that you then must have. It is very fickle too, with new stuff being released every year, which claims to be faster, stiffer, lighter and more reliable, I've bought into it before, and can honestly tell you, the only things that are worth the money are dropper posts, and short stem + wide bar combos, the rest is a marginal difference designed to make your existing stuff obsolete. Any of the wheel sizes will do, its the geometry of the bike makes a bigger difference than the wheel size, a gravity orientated 26" is going to do better in a rock garden than an XC 29"

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Doing my head in trying to find what I am looking for. So many options and so many components I haven't a clue about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

You can rent a bike and get someone to show you a few mtb routes.

I find it very mentally draining focusing on singletrack descents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Get yourself down to bike par Ireland if you can.

They've a great price €50 for lads looking to try it out in their beginner package.

http://www.bikeparkireland.ie/Booking_Info.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

MTB all winter here. Beats the road on the dark, wet and windy days. Good few places up here now although you could get bored of the same half dozen places by the time spring starts to appear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Can still take part in Cyclocross races on an MTB

I don't understand why anyone does, would find it slow and boring. CX should be for cross bikes only unless you're a child.

I started mountain biking earlier this year and will be doing that and cyclocross over the winter. Finding mountain biking in the rain a lot more fun than going out on the road bike.

• Advertisement

nak wrote: »
    I don't understand why anyone does, would find it slow and boring. CX should be for cross bikes only unless you're a child.
    I started mountain biking earlier this year and will be doing that and cyclocross over the winter. Finding mountain biking in the rain a lot more fun than going out on the road bike.

Usually just people who haven't bought CX bikes yet..

The MTB won't get much of a look-in for me this winter, will just get wrecked in the wet and mud, CX is where it's at for the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Positives: If you go riding with MTBers, you find you're at least twice as fit as them and destroy them on the uphills
    Negatives: Years of riding skinny wheels on tarmac make you a scared little bitch on singletrack and you ride half the speed of everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Enduro

seamus wrote: »
    Positives: If you go riding with MTBers, you find you're at least twice as fit as them and destroy them on the uphills

You do know that Ryan Sherlock is more MTBer than roadie... d'ya reckon you'd destroy him on a climb fairly handy? :D

seamus wrote: »
    Positives: If you go riding with MTBers, you find you're at least twice as fit as them and destroy them on the uphills.

My experience has been that roadies think they're fitter by tearing up the climbs not realising that the mountain bikers are taking it easy so they can have a chat and warm up in a sensible fashion. No point going full gas at the start of a 2-3 hour spin.

The descents are physically taxing too, especially the more technical ones. 27km on the MTB yesterday and I'm knackered, it's hard going, whole body effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Peterx

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    Doing my head in trying to find what I am looking for. So many options and so many components I haven't a clue about!

I would go second hard, then if it isn't for you at least you will recoup most of the money you spend.
    As for components your budget should easily stretch to 2x10 speed Shimano XT, a good fork and strong but slightly heavy wheels. Or else 3x9 speed Shimano XT with very good wheels and fork.

As others have already said, there are some amazing second hand MTB 26" hardtails on sale. 26" is seen as old tech and so is cheaper but will do perfectly well for a roadie looking to get through the winter.

A CX bike will provide you with many more racing opportunities but nothing can beat the freedom a hardtail MTB gives in the winter. Tarmac, fireroads, trails, carry a bike if need be, you can go pretty much anywhere with one.
    On crappy wet windy days in the winter a couple of hours on an MTB in a forest is good for what ails you.
    What size are you?

edit - the downside is the cleaning in fairness. MTB bike get unbelievably mucky. And break much more than roadbikes.

Peterx wrote: »
    I would go second hard, then if it isn't for you at least you will recoup most of the money you spend.
    As for components your budget should easily stretch to 2x10 speed Shimano XT, a good fork and strong but slightly heavy wheels. Or else 3x9 speed Shimano XT with very good wheels and fork.

As others have already said, there are some amazing second hand MTB 26" hardtails on sale. 26" is seen as old tech and so is cheaper but will do perfectly well for a roadie looking to get through the winter.

A CX bike will provide you with many more racing opportunities but nothing can beat the freedom a hardtail MTB gives in the winter. Tarmac, fireroads, trails, carry a bike if need be, you can go pretty much anywhere with one.
    On crappy wet windy days in the winter a couple of hours on an MTB in a forest is good for what ails you.
    What size are you?
    Cheers!
    Im 6ft and was looking at a hardtail 29er. Most of the fellas in the club have one and race on them. I would be more confident getting a second hand road bike but a MTB is bound to be more of a risk going by the abuse they would take.

Cheers!
    Im 6ft and was looking at a hardtail 29er. Most of the fellas in the club have one and race on them. I would be more confident getting a second hand road bike but a MTB is bound to be more of a risk going by the abuse they would take.

Test bike from a bike shop could be a bargain, 2015 models are being sold around now.

I got a HT 29er in April and am now looking at full sus 27.5 options as I am enjoying natural trails more than trail centre stuff. My HT is a bit limiting as if only has 80mm of travel. Will keep the 29er for XC races next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

I was in the same position and find the 29er very versatile for winter / leisure / exploring. It is harder work off road and certainly feel it more in the upper body once you hit the proper trails. Id be careful with second hand incase the fork might need a service etc so if your not too familiar Id be tempted to look at rose / canyon online you can get a decent HT for that budget. Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Start out with a budget hard tail, about 300 - 400 euros should do the trick, something along the lines of e.g. this. You would lose nothing on that if you moved it on and found out you didn't like MTB, or upgrade.

invest more in protection gear, as you will fall of course, and if looked after would be fairly easy to move on second hand, but you could just do what I did and ride fire roads the whole time which is good crack and fairly safe.

As you get more confident and you attempt the more technical bike parks and the likes of ballinastoe or carrick, you will need - Elbow, knee, back and hip protection, the evoc hydration back packs come with back protection built in but retail at 200 euros but you can't put a price on the protection they offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Plenty of good second hand long travel hard tails out there, brands such as ragley and cotic. Good geometry,26" wheels and a frame that'll take up to a 140mm fork which is all you'll need for anything in Ireland!

http://www.adverts.ie/mountain-bikes/specialized-epic-expert/8714846
    assuming fit and forks are fine it will suit your needs.

Looks the part but im up north! Going to rent a bike out at rostrevor trails this weekend and do the red trail and see how I get on.

Looks the part but im up north! Going to rent a bike out at rostrevor trails this weekend and do the red trail and see how I get on.

The red trail is great, tricky enough in parts for a beginner, plenty of climbing. Trails were very wet on Sunday, lots of puddles, the river crossing was surprisingly sketchy compared to a dry day. Castewellan is a bit more beginner friendly. Enjoyed both trail centres.

The red trail is great, tricky enough in parts for a beginner, plenty of climbing. Trails were very wet on Sunday, lots of puddles, the river crossing was surprisingly sketchy compared to a dry day. Castewellan is a bit more beginner friendly. Enjoyed both trail centres.

I don't really care where I go as long as it involves going up hills and my legs feeling like they're on fire then I will be happy. One thing that does put me off a bit is having to drive to the area where you cycle and then driving home again. Whereas the road bike you jump on at the house and cycle all day and return home.

I don't really care where I go as long as it involves going up hills and my legs feeling like they're on fire then I will be happy. One thing that does put me off a bit is having to drive to the area where you cycle and then driving home again. Whereas the road bike you jump on at the house and cycle all day and return home.

Our legs were on fire! The tarmac climb at the start is horrible, so much so I had blocked that bit out from the memory of the previous trip there and I usually like climbing. The rest is fun. Very scenic on a clear day.

We ended up buying a car for mountain biking after 10 years without one, wasn't happy about it initially, but getting to see a lot more of the country as a result. Big mountain spins are amazing.

• Advertisement

I see the problem, you need to move to either Rathfarnham or d'Alps :)

The MTB XCM champs are on in Rostrevor on the 13th September (i think) if you are in the area there might be lads selling bikes there on the day, or you could arrange to meet there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Peterx wrote: »
    I see the problem, you need to move to either Rathfarnham or d'Alps :)

Or Wicklow, or just build your own trail somewhere, its actually fairly easy once you do a little research.

http://www.mountainbikeni.com/events/45687/mountain-bike-kayak-auction/

Tollymore are selling their fleet of rental bikes on Sunday 6th September from 13:30 to 15:00

Viewing from 11:00 to 13:30
    http://www.tollymore.com/2015/07/auction/

My first mountain bike experience today around the trails in castlewellan :eek:

I enjoyed going up and the fire road climbs were great. Going down and jumping off rocks and all that was a bit much tbf. It was a bit tedious at times in that I could never get a rhythm going like you can on a road bike. I like on a road bike that I can sit for long periods of time just below my max heart rate and feeling completely ****ed at the end. The MTB was constantly breaking the rhythm with a tree in the road or a rock to jump over :rolleyes:

It wasn't very tough on the legs or anything today, just took a lot of concentration and bike handling. When it came to any climbs (got in three strava top 10s as well :) ) I was way ahead of my MTBer friend even though I am not a great climber on the road. The down hills and rock gardens etc were a different story. He was a mile ahead of me! Flying into the jumps and rocks. I was near over the handlebars about 4 times when I had to go off the steep rocks. I enjoyed it but as a roadie looking for winter training options I think I would get more benefit out of the turbo. For fun and keeping things fresh I will definitely used the MTB. My cycling club has a MTB section as well and over the winter a few of the other roadies jump in with them and go around the local trails with the head lamps twice a week and then back on the road Sat and Sun. Or if I could find a less rocky route that has loads of long drags or climbs I would definitely go to that regularly.

I still really enjoyed today and can't wait to get a go on the trails again. I just don't want to come off and wreck myself!

I definitely won't be switching over from road to MTB!

*Mountain bikers reading this and saying 'what a pussy'.

^^^^^ This is why a lot of roadies switch to Cyclocross for the winter! :D

• Advertisement

I wouldn't write off mountain biking just yet; has taken me several months to start enjoying it and will be several years before I get good at it. Small steps, it takes time to develop the skills and if you build up gradually you shouldn't wreck yourself. Knee pads also help. I have been road riding a while now and do cyclocross, but mountain biking is a step up again skill wise.

Not much climbing in Castlewellan (it's still fun though), but plenty of climbing to found elsewhere. Most of the mountain bikers I know don't spend much time riding the official trails in trail centres. The big mountain spins are tough.

Not much cyclo cross stuff around where I am up north. Not that I know of anyway. Mountain Biking seems more accessible. Don't get me wrong I did enjoy it and got a good work out out of it, but it wasn't what i thought it might have been in terms of keeping me fit for the road bike when the roads are icy. As I said I love the fire roads, just sitting and spinning up them at a constant effort with out having to work about cycling over a big stone or tree. Suppose that's what MTB is all about though!

Not much cyclo cross stuff around where I am up north. Not that I know of anyway. Mountain Biking seems more accessible. Don't get me wrong I did enjoy it and got a good work out out of it, but it wasn't what i thought it might have been in terms of keeping me fit for the road bike when the roads are icy. As I said I love the fire roads, just sitting and spinning up them at a constant effort with out having to work about cycling over a big stone or tree. Suppose that's what MTB is all about though!

There are a lot of pace changes, but for me that works better for improving my fitness.

The Ulster cyclocross league is brilliant, 8 or 9 races this season plus nationals. The races are so well organised, well worth traveling for, great bunch of people too.

There are a lot of pace changes, but for me that works better for improving my fitness.

The Ulster cyclocross league is brilliant, 8 or 9 races this season plus nationals. The races are so well organised, well worth traveling for, great bunch of people too.

Yeah I was on their site earlier but I mean where do you go to train? I don't even know anyone that does it. Looks great too!

Yeah I was on their site earlier but I mean where do you go to train? I don't even know anyone that does it. Looks great too!

Anywhere you want; local park, in the hills, on the road. Think there's an intro day at Rostrevor mid September. They run a MTB race before the CX races.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭conor1979

My first mountain bike experience today around the trails in castlewellan :eek:

I enjoyed going up and the fire road climbs were great. Going down and jumping off rocks and all that was a bit much tbf. It was a bit tedious at times in that I could never get a rhythm going like you can on a road bike. I like on a road bike that I can sit for long periods of time just below my max heart rate and feeling completely ****ed at the end. The MTB was constantly breaking the rhythm with a tree in the road or a rock to jump over :rolleyes:

It wasn't very tough on the legs or anything today, just took a lot of concentration and bike handling. When it came to any climbs (got in three strava top 10s as well :) ) I was way ahead of my MTBer friend even though I am not a great climber on the road. The down hills and rock gardens etc were a different story. He was a mile ahead of me! Flying into the jumps and rocks. I was near over the handlebars about 4 times when I had to go off the steep rocks. I enjoyed it but as a roadie looking for winter training options I think I would get more benefit out of the turbo. For fun and keeping things fresh I will definitely used the MTB. My cycling club has a MTB section as well and over the winter a few of the other roadies jump in with them and go around the local trails with the head lamps twice a week and then back on the road Sat and Sun. Or if I could find a less rocky route that has loads of long drags or climbs I would definitely go to that regularly.

I still really enjoyed today and can't wait to get a go on the trails again. I just don't want to come off and wreck myself!

I definitely won't be switching over from road to MTB!

*Mountain bikers reading this and saying 'what a pussy'.

Out of curiosity how many km's was the spin and how long did it take?

And what sort of spins would you do on the road time and km wise?

conor1979 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity how many km's was the spin and how long did it take?

And what sort of spins would you do on the road time and km wise?

I work in miles so it was about 15 mile and about 2 hours. We had stopped a few times to talk to a few others at times though. Not really sure what it was moving time.

On the road I could do anything from a 100mile spin to 30 mile fast spin. Between 200 and 250 mile a week I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

I did the red loop in Ballyhoura last week, 48k in 4 hours, about 3 1/2 hours moving time.
    I'd average around 26 to 28 kph on the road.

Advertisement