Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

advance weight of racing bike

• 01-09-2015 3:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭

What would be the average bike weight in A4 and A3 racing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭tommy_tucker

what do you mean by advance weight???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Take a piece of string, add quarter of its length to half its weight. Multiply by 3 and divide by a quarter of the distance from one end of the string to half way point. Take away 2 and that's it's weight (or length, I can't remember, either way it's the same answer)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

If a guy is doing a race season I'm pretty sure most guys would know the weight of his bike . I know the pros can't have it under the 6.8kg so was just wondering what kind of adverage weight would we be talking 8 or 9 kg or nearer to the pros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

I would assume op is asking what the "advised"weight of a bike is for competing in A3/A4.

For myself i wouldn't have any idea - minimum is 6.8kg or so right? After that I assume the answer is "as close to minimum as you can afford but the engine (aka the cyclist) is going to have a much bigger impact than the chassis."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

If a guy is doing a race season I'm pretty sure most guys would know the weight of his bike . I know the pros can't have it under the 6.8kg so was just wondering what kind of advance weight would we be talking 8 or 9 kg or nearer to the pros
    Are you playing the meow game with "advance" instead of meow?
    Anyway, in a4/a3 racing you'll see every mix of bikes. Have seen everything from 300 euro Carrera's to near pro spec bikes. Every meow and again you might even see a steel bike.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,612 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I would guess the weight of my bike is around 9kg. But TBH I don't really care, as what I eat that morning, how much water I have in the bottle, the gear I am wearing and what spare tubes, pump and tools I stuff in my pocket will vary my "total" weight by a kg or more ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

It doesn't take an awful lot to get a bike to the 6.8kg limit so I would guess many bikes are not far off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

Mine floats around 7kg on carbon race wheels. Wouldn't take much to drop it to the UCI weight limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭tommy_tucker

I think most people know there bike is above the limit and don't ever bother weighing it.

I think he actually means average weight, autocorrect probably changed it to advanced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

@Derrydingle if you need to edit the thread title to change "advance" to "average" go to "Edit" for your first post, then "Advanced", then "Change subject", I think it is, then change it and save it.

How much difference would 1 kg in weight really make , speed wise how much faster would you go say over 60k ?

How much difference would 1 kg in weight really make , speed wise how much faster would you go say over 60k ?

This is a great site to give you a rough idea:
    http://bikecalculator.com/

Tweak the weight and gradient to see what difference it makes to power and average speed.

ronoc wrote:
    This is a great site to give you a rough idea:

Very good cheers

I'm not a racer but my winter bike with full mudguards lights etc is roughly 2.3kg heavier than my good bike. All my PB's on Strava have been on the good bike with average speeds generally being 3-4kmph faster too over the same route.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,612 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm not a racer but my winter bike with full mudguards lights etc is roughly 2.3kg heavier than my good bike. All my PB's on Strava have been on the good bike with average speeds generally being 3-4kmph faster too over the same route.
    I typically go faster in the summer when I have lighter gear on and it's warmer, than in the winter. Equally I go faster when I'm in a good mood, not bothered about the weather, happily riding on the drops - typically that's my summer (over winter) experience. Yes weight makes some difference, but 2kg is, in my case, 2% or so of the total - very much at the margins (and I will usually put more than that on over the winter anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

A big difference if the weight is in the wheels
    A little difference in the frame
    Next to nothing in the overall

Advertisement