Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep sport

Options
  • 26-08-2015 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭

I just read a reference on a website to 'sleep sport' whereby people try to outdo each other by sleeping in increasingly unusual places.

That said, I can't find anything else when googling it.
    Where is the oddest place/situation you have slept? Intentionally or otherwise?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The floor of McDonald's distribution centre in Nijlkerk, Holland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Slept in a suitcase in a wheelbarrow at Witness one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Were you 'working' there or just popped in? How long did you last?

I've slept in some cool places over the last year, a yurt, a tin hut and a wooden cabin, they were all deadly. I really don't think I am holed spending my whole life paying to live in a house, maybe that is because I am currently broke and rent is ridiculous.

I can't really think of anywhere particularly unusual I have slept (like odd or uncomfortable, beyond cars, trains and planes on occasion - when exhausted - I don't sleep easily)

Were you 'working' there or just popped in? How long did you last?
    Was that aimed at me?

Yeah, I had just delivered some of the finest Coleraine Cheeese there and had to pick up some of the finest Dutch flowers in Aalsmeer the next day, and I was tired and the floor looked lovely, and that was the story.:)

I also hadn't a licence to drive the lorry I was, but that's a whole other story.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Backwards man plays by his own rules. :)

• Advertisement

Backwards man plays by his own rules. :)
    Ah that was years ago though, when I was young and foolish.

As Toby Keith says, I'm not as good as I once was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I fell asleep on a golf green one night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I slept rough in Donegal one night in May. Disregard the fact that it was technically summer, because it was still absolutely freezing.

Why did I sleep rough? Firstly, I was very drunk, to the point where I couldn't last the 20-minute taxi trip back to Derry, where my B&B was. There's nothing worse than being in a car when you're head is spinning. I tried, and I'm pretty sure we stopped after 90 seconds, before I flung £20 at the driver and staggered away. I had no interest in getting my £19.60 change. I just wanted to get sick. Somewhere. Anywhere.

I did get sick, up against a hotel. Instead of bringing me to Derry I must've asked the driver to take me the nearest hotel, which is literally just down the road. I went into the hotel to get a room and, as luck would have it, they're booked out. Looking back, I'm certain they only said this because I probably had sick dripping from my chin, on to their carpet.

I'm stranded at this point. The people I was there with were long gone, and I was basically lost in Buncrana - and, as I said, it was ridiculously cold. The dizziness has given way to a zombie-like state at this point and I'm capable of walking and seeing again. I arrive back at the town, where I hope to get a B&B but they're all shut, which I still can't understand.

This is the weirdest part, but on my life it's completely true. I knocked into some random house at all hours of the morning. Some aul lad walks to the door. From the get-go I make it known that I'm not a psychopath, which probably made him a lot more anxious, but I do explain my desperate situation and ask him to phone the guards on me. My phone was dead.

My thinking here was that they'll take pity on me and take me back to the cell for a sleep. Turns out they just patronised me: "You're 27 like ya know." He was only 22 or something; basically that character, with the spots, who flips burgers in The Simpsons.

Long story short I find myself a nice little archway, which had a black bag full of cardboard sh*t in it. Some luck at last. I pull out some cardboard and use it as a mattress, pull my arms in from the sleeves of my jumper and go asleep. It was so cold, but remembering Arsenal had just won the FA Cup was enough of a comfort blanket.

A bath. With a dripping tap.

A stairs - the top few steps...that was pretty dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I was in with my daughter at her speech and language therapy appointment. She was working away with the therapist, and I fell asleep sitting in the chair. I don't know how I managed it, as I had never slept in public as an adult before. I could be on a long flight and wouldn't sleep a wink.

• Advertisement

In a field.woke up covered in frost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Some kind of a war memorial in Amsterdam, for about 3 hours, in the early afternoon, shortly after I had projectile vomited on the street.

Not my finest hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Fell asleep outside a petrol station by a main road once. Thank feck it didnt rain :pac:

Slept on a few benches in my time aswell also outside a church. I used to just give up wlking home on a night out and go to sleep somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Went to a debating competition in Glasgow while I was in college - in hindsight, I should have accepted that I didn't have the money for it. Left Dublin airport at 6.30am Saturday, competed all day, slept under a kitchen table in the convenor's apartment along with the others from my debating society. It wasn't until the following day that the brokeness kicked in: I hadn't been able to afford a Sunday flight, so I slept on a bench in Prestwick that night. Easily the worst three nights of sleep I've ever had. And I didn't even make the knockout rounds!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Absolutely nowhere special. A friend's sofa would be about the most exotic place. No idea how you manage to fall asleep rough, especially sober.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭circadian

Hammer89 wrote: »
    I slept rough in Donegal one night in May. Disregard the fact that it was technically summer ..............

Sleeping rough in Buncrana, that's tough.

I've slept in a ditch, bathtub, bus stop, in a doorway in Osaka but the most uncomfortable was sleeping on the 14 hour hard seat train in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

In a playhouse in Australia, in a rubbish room in Tel Aviv, on a beach in Kos, on the floor of a train in Turkey and some other similar places when I was young and wanted to save money.

Unintentionally on the shoulder of the most tattoo'ed, hairiest bearded, leatheriest clad biker I've ever seen in my life, a total stranger, in JFK airport after a flight was delayed due to snow. Apparently this lovely man had just sat there without moving for three hours so he wouldn't disturb me. Some people are awful, but most of them can be very kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Terminal five at Heathrow Airport. Nothing really unusual about that apart from the fact I wasn't going anywhere, I went out the night before on the piss and woke up in Heathrow, head split open, broken phone, lost my good earphones and no memory!

And I once slept under a lorry in an industrial estate in Milan in the middle of Jan! Fooking freezing!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

3 of us in a disabled toilet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Completely intoxicated one night in Cyprus slept under a car in a housing estate.

Also one night while staying in a really plush hotel in Limerick arrived back in my room completely hammered, opened the door turned on the lights and straight to the jacks to puke my guts up when the lights went out. I had forgotten to put the card in the slot, of course I was too drunk to realise. Couldn't for the life of me find the door back into the room. Spent 15 minutes going around the toilet on my hands and knees looking for the door to the room. Ended up jumping into the bath and slept there for night. Room mate got some shock in the morning when he went in for a piss to see my lying there in the bath.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Kaiser Sosay

I slept in/under a neighbours hedge after I lost my keys during a drunken walk home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Phone box. Galway.

reason: beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

In the toilet of an airplane.Head rested on the sink and out cold for 2.5 hours.

Took a sleeping pill and a load of vino on a long haul to Bangkok and woke up with an air hostess banging the door down as there was a large queue forming.
    I didn't mean to sleep there just rested my head for a sec while dropping a load.

the look on her face when I exited with hair all over the shop and a crease on my face being the side of the sink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

On the roof of a Chiva bus in Colombia.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Her side of the bed....it was weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

A disconcerting number of posts read more like answers to "what made you realise you had a drinking problem?".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

"what made you realise you had a drinking problem?".

When I ran out of booze.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

In a kilt, under an information kiosk in the Jewish district of Krakow on my birthday. Good night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

On a night out in Galway with 2 friends..

Had planned to stay in a hostel (the tidy sum of €5 pps) ...well shortly after the plan was made, it was a 2 to 1 vote for sleeping in my Ford Fiesta...

The smell the next morning was vile..

Advertisement