Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software Development in IT Carlow

Options
  • 23-08-2015 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Just wondering if someone can give me a run down of the course Im looking to do it next year after a FETAC course in CarlowIFE. I got Waterford IT for software systems development but would prefer to go Carlow as Im hearing the course is better as its more practical.
    These are the few questions I have:

What the course consists off, I know programming (which I really enjoy) what coding languages are used?
    Where do most people get work placement is it possible to get it in places like microsoft and google?
    Is it difficult to get a job and how would the course be compared to just say Computer Science is a University when getting a job.
    What type of projects do get to do?

Lastly if anyone else has any other information about the course that might help me out that I didnt include it would be much appreciated.
    Thanks very much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

_JimPix_ wrote: »
    Just wondering if someone can give me a run down of the course Im looking to do it next year after a FETAC course in CarlowIFE. I got Waterford IT for software systems development but would prefer to go Carlow as Im hearing the course is better as its more practical.
    These are the few questions I have:

What the course consists off, I know programming (which I really enjoy) what coding languages are used?
    Where do most people get work placement is it possible to get it in places like microsoft and google?
    Is it difficult to get a job and how would the course be compared to just say Computer Science is a University when getting a job.
    What type of projects do get to do?

Lastly if anyone else has any other information about the course that might help me out that I didnt include it would be much appreciated.
    Thanks very much.

Hi, my answer below is for the software development strand only at IT Carlow.

Language of choice is Java in year 1 and 2. C/C++ in year 3. Other languages are also taught as needed (e.g. python, javascript, erlang).

Work placement is in year 3, it is not automatic you are to be prepared for it and work on your skills. Most people get placed in Dublin in international companies (but not Google from what I heard). Unum locally in Carlow always take 3 or 4 students on placement too.

Regarding work prospect nothing is guaranteed but employment rate is high (90%) within 3 months of finishing end of May after the 4th year. I do not know how this compares with Universities. Other change career by choice, go travelling or go for a master at one of the Dublin Universities.

There is a project in year 2 (dynamic website), year 3 (if you don't go on work placement) and year 4 (year long). Projects in year three and four vary hugely as we are very open to anything as long as it has a very strong programming element.
    There is an out of date page for 3rd year projects here https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Oz5iCGR_4Qoh11lOOCmYlCWKcugWCf_dzzfAZGogREI/edit?usp=sharing

and a sample of other 3rd year projects at:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/18_EYg5jY18Z7StyUmsek7O_gMrUbEsnaMOtlo1iEaxc/edit?usp=sharing

My list of 4th year project proposals

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ruHsw-Qt9HUiYNdP6X1yOISmCAYVn3gMBWqwu0rf2Uo/edit?usp=sharing

hope this helps
    Good luck

Chris Meudec (CW207 Course Director)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 _JimPix_

Thanks very much for your reply, it was very helpful.

Advertisement