Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"GameofThrones will prob go 8 seasons, and a prequel sounds pretty likely after that"

Options
  • 31-07-2015 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭

According to HBO programming president Michael Lombardo

https://twitter.com/AnthonyMaglio/status/626884725001617408

Interesting, seeing as D&D have repeatedly said that there will be 7 seasons. 8 seasons seems more realistic though, can't imagine the whole story being finished in two more seasons.

What do people think the prequel will be? Robert's Rebellion would be pretty awesome IMO.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

According to HBO programming president Michael Lombardo

https://twitter.com/AnthonyMaglio/status/626884725001617408

Interesting, seeing as D&D have repeatedly said that there will be 7 seasons. 8 seasons seems more realistic though, can't imagine the whole story being finished in two more seasons.

What do people think the prequel will be? Robert's Rebellion would be pretty awesome IMO.

Great news, way too many loose ends to close off (without rushing/cramming)) in 2 seasons..!

Robert was such a well casted character in S1, anyone else will have a tough act to follow!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Great news, way too many loose ends to close off (without rushing/cramming)) in 2 seasons..!

Robert was such a well casted character in S1, anyone else will have a tough act to follow!
    to be fair, a few more red weddings and you'd have all loose ends tied up fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

There is plenty of lore to make up a prequel where they could possibly go back hundreds of years before the show started if they so wished although the obvious choice would be to do the rebellion and events leading up to it as so many of the characters are mentioned throughout the show and books. Seeing the mad king go mad seeing rhaegar steal lyanna and seeing some of the legendary fighters of the time arthur dayne and a young ser barristan would surely be the obvious choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Could the prequels be the "Duck and Egg" books?
    I'm a non book reader so don't really know anything about them

Roberts Rebellion could be a lot of fun aswell though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Sean Bean would be back and surly they couldn't kill him off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Frynge wrote: »
    Sean Bean would be back and surly they couldn't kill him off.

I'm afraid Sean Bean is contractually required to die on screen in every role he's cast in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

The shows a massive cash cow for HBO, viewing figures are increasing every season and they are making a fortune on merchandise. It's a no brainer to get another season out of it, the content is there.

A prequel season also allows them to recast a whole new cast and cut the ties with the other actors who will have probably gotten weary of spending 2 months every summer in Belfast.

The prequel season would have a lot more large scale battle scenes. Might actually get to see what happened at the Tower of Joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

I'm afraid Sean Bean is contractually required to die on screen in every role he's cast in.

I knew there was a catch!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Might actually get to see what happened at the Tower of Joy.

Think we might see that to a certain extent in the next season anyway based on locations and castings. Although seeing the whole build up to it would be good as opposed to just a flashback.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

The casting of Robert's Rebellion would be difficult, wouldn't it? It took place around 17 years before the events of Season 1. That's too much of a stretch to bring back Sean Bean et al., but is it far back enough to cast younger versions of the characters?

Someone on Reddit made a great suggestion - they could adopt a True Detective approach and have each season be a different part of history. You could then have a season for Robert's Rebellion, a season of Dunk and Egg, the possibilities would be endless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,106 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The casting of Robert's Rebellion would be difficult, wouldn't it? It took place around 17 years before the events of Season 1. That's too much of a stretch to bring back Sean Bean et al., but is it far back enough to cast younger versions of the characters?

Someone on Reddit made a great suggestion - they could adopt a True Detective approach and have each season be a different part of history. You could then have a season for Robert's Rebellion, a season of Dunk and Egg, the possibilities would be endless.

Let the fantasy casting begin!

0716_tywin-lannister_416x416.jpg

3c70077629cf24bf63be7d4c4ca62497.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 54,619 ✭✭✭✭walshb

So another 3 seasons of characters aimlessly wandering around stabbing and raping each other. I can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

walshb wrote: »
    So another 3 seasons of characters aimlessly wandering around stabbing and raping each other. I can't wait!

Yeah, cos that's all the show has been so far.

Yeah, I take it you haven't seen the show then, either that or you are quite unintelligent.

Unintelligent? That sounds more like the show and its scripting. I have watched the show. It's the same old sh1t each episode with next to nothing actually happening apart from the OTT violence. Very overrated and very disjointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

walshb wrote: »
    Unintelligent? That sounds more like the show and its scripting. I have watched the show. It's the same old sh1t each episode with next to nothing actually happening apart from the OTT violence. Very overrated and very disjointed.

From your post history you seem to regularly post on the Fair City thread so you are in no position to lecture us on our choice of entertainment.

If you don't like it, don't watch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

//MOD

Let's keep it on the original topic shall we?

//MOD

From your post history you seem to regularly post on the Fair City thread so you are in no position to lecture us on our choice of entertainment.

If you don't like it, don't watch.

I am not lecturing anyone. I just made a point about the show. FC is drivel, as are all soaps. The FC thread, on the other hand is quality!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Jason Issacs(Lucius Malfoy style) for the Mad King Aerys II.

Who can play Rhaegar Targaryen I'm still not sure as he was 24 when he died if the prequel covers all of his life or at least the tales we currently know a few actors will be needed for the roles.

Kevin McKidd and James Purefoy have both said they don't want roles on Game of Thrones over the years, which is unfortunate given that many of their Rome co-stars have been excellent as cast members

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭fitz

Ray Stevenson would have been a great Robert.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Could the prequels be the "Duck and Egg" books?
    I'm a non book reader so don't really know anything about them
    Dunk and Egg, you mean! :pac: That was my first thought, but those stories take place about 90 years before GoT, which is a bit far removed.

(Dunk is Ser Duncan the Tall, a young barely-knight just figuring out his way in the world, and Egg is a young boy who decides to be Dunk's squire whether Dunk likes it or not. Thing is, Egg is short for Aegon, and the boy is actually the future King Aegon V Targaryen, a.k.a. Aegon the Unlikely, who we also know as the younger brother of Maester Aemon Targaryen.)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
Advertisement