Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 Cooking Club Week 23: Tabbouleh

Options
  • 24-07-2015 9:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭

Hello everyone!
    This week I decided to share a couscous salad recipe which is lovely and fresh in warm weather. (I know "real" Tabbouleh is made with bulgur wheat but I prefer it with couscous!).

Indredients:
    250g uncooked couscous
    4 ripe tomatoes
    half a cucumber
    3 spring onions
    25g parsley
    Zest of a lemon
    6 tbsp olive oil
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    1 crushed garlic clove

Method:
    I recommend preparing this a few hours in advance, to let it get really cool in the fridge, and to let the flavours infuse.

• Put the couscous in a bowl, cover with hot or boiling water, cover and let sit for 5 mins, until the water is absorbed. Fluff up the couscous with a fork.
    • Dice the tomatoes and cucumber (remove the cucumber seeds first). Slice the onions and chop the parsley finely. Add to the couscous with the lemon zest.
    • Whisk the olive oil, lemon juice and garlic together with some salt and pepper. Mix with the couscous, and keep in the fridge til you're ready to eat it.
    Enjoy!

(I'm making this this evening, I'll post photos later).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Yummers! I love couscous. Thanks Ivy x

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I love tabbouleh. I normally add a handful of chopped celery for extra crunch as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've never cooked couscous - I've only just gotten started with quinoa recently. This sounds delicious and I'm going to buy some couscous and try it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I've never cooked couscous - I've only just gotten started with quinoa recently. This sounds delicious and I'm going to buy some couscous and try it :)
    Couscous is great, it's really really quick to cook and it goes with lots of things. Cheap as well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Brilliant, I'm always looking for a reliable tabbouleh recipe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

How much water do you use? I am always making a mess of couscous by using too much water, is there a ratio that anyone knows that won't give me a soggy lump?

eviltwin wrote: »
    How much water do you use? I am always making a mess of couscous by using too much water, is there a ratio that anyone knows that won't give me a soggy lump?
    Ah, I don't know an amount, I go by ear, it works for me.
    Just looked it up on some French pages, they say one cup of water for one cup of couscous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I use 150ml water for every 100g couscous

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I made it and it's delicious :)
    I just had to keep the cucumber separate because some of us get indigestion.

2rdd8b8.jpg

Oh that looks lovely Dizzyblonde! Glad you liked it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭edeldonlon

Sent this link to my parents in Spain and it went down a storm today.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Just made this for a BBQ later. The flavours will improve with time!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,186 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I made it and it's delicious :)
    I just had to keep the cucumber separate because some of us get indigestion.

<picture snipped>

Don't mean to be picky but that's a couscous salad not tabbouleh. Tabbouleh is 90% parsley, tomato and onion and only a very small amount of bulgur wheat (or couscous). The balance is completely the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Roald Dahl

Really enjoyed it and I was very happy with the ratio of parsley to cous cous.

CC-2015-23-Tabbouleh.jpg

We had this to go along with the recipe from Week 34 in 2011.

Advertisement