Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house in Dunsink Drive, Finglas 11

Options
  • 15-07-2015 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello! I'm considering buying a house in Dunsink Drive, Finglas 11 (on the end that opens towards the park in Wellmount Road).

However, I've heard that some areas in this zone, especially in the 'Dunsink' area, can be very rough and troublesome.

I'm looking for advice from people who've lived in this area or who know it very well; I know that a couple of bad apples don't set the tone for the entire neighborhood, I'm just wondering at the amount of bad apples we are talking about here :)

I appreciate any advice or suggestions! Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Going from my own experiences of living close by I personally wouldn't live there. It might have changed recently but it was never the best of areas.

Looking at the pros you get a big house for cheap.

Cons the area isn't that nice. Wouldn't let my children out to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭uli84

I wouldn't take the house there for free, sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

In 2013 there was a taxi driver shot by his passengers. Last year there was an altercation / riot by the travellers up by Cappagh hospital. In 2012 and 2013 there were several car jackings in the Tesco Clearwater Carpark, and in 2010 there were two people shot at the Tesco petrol station. As a general rule, east of Finglas Rd is not good.

I'm not sure what the price is of the property you are looking at, but if D11 is on your list, I'd look at either the Lanesborough or Hampton Wood estates, or Finn Eber Fort opposite the Finglas Village. There are some nice older homes around Ballygall as well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

on_my_oe wrote: »
    In 2013 there was a taxi driver shot by his passengers. Last year there was an altercation / riot by the travellers up by Cappagh hospital. In 2012 and 2013 there were several car jackings in the Tesco Clearwater Carpark, and in 2010 there were two people shot at the Tesco petrol station. As a general rule, east of Finglas Rd is not good.

I'm not sure what the price is of the property you are looking at, but if D11 is on your list, I'd look at either the Lanesborough or Hampton Wood estates, or Finn Eber Fort opposite the Finglas Village. There are some nice older homes around Ballygall as well.

I presume you mean West of Finglas Road?

When I lived in Finglas we used to call the whole area bounded by Finglas Road, Tolka Valley Road, and Ratoath Road/M50 "The Triangle of Death" due to the number of violent deaths contained within it. It must have the highest number of shootings and stabbings per square mile anywhere in Ireland.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

on_my_oe wrote: »
    I'd look at either the Lanesborough or Hampton Wood estates, or Finn Eber Fort opposite the Finglas Village. There are some nice older homes around Ballygall as well.

Lanesborough/ Hampton Woods are no go areas imo. Lots of drunkenness, robbed cars, on street fighting etc.

I live in or around that Dunsink Drive area. I looked at a house on Dunsink Drive years ago and decided the at particular area/street wasn't for me. not too sure what it is like now.

Deanstown is across the road, lots of houses for sale much nicer area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

John Mason wrote: »
    Lanesborough/ Hampton Woods are no go areas imo. Lots of drunkenness, robbed cars, on street fighting

Completely disagree with above. Know the lanesborough/melville side for the last 10 years and it's pretty settled and never seen any of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ITGirl33

John Mason wrote: »
    Lanesborough/ Hampton Woods are no go areas imo. Lots of drunkenness, robbed cars, on street fighting etc.

I completely disagree too. I've lived here for a year now and have not once seen anything you're stating. I have had friends living in this area for years too, when they bought in the boom. It's a lovely settled area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 The Indecent Prancer

I read this and I thought it rather one sided. I’ve lived on Dunsink Drive for over half a decade now. I’m originally from the U.K. and my wife bought the house during the boom (at the top as it turned out). She grew up on Dunsink Drive too.

I have honestly never felt threatened or in danger for the whole time I have lived here and do not recognize the description given above. It is a socially disadvantaged area and that does come with baggage (mostly aesthetic), but that does not mean that the people who live here are in a constant state of belligerence, or that you would be anymore unsafe here than anywhere else in the city (statically your actually less likely to be robbed here than many other ‘good’ areas of the city). My children play in the street with the other children and there has been nothing to worry about apart from the usual childhood disputes that don’t last past the next distraction.

The only negatives I have suffered are some minor criminal damage (teens with a football) and picking litter out of my garden on bin day: I think that has more to do with the position of our house than much else. My wife and I are professionals and our neighbours are an eclectic mix and most have jobs and careers, it is nothing like the poverty shows on Channel Four.
    There are tons of activities and groups to get involved with whatever your interest and, being a mature area, lots of established shops and businesses. It’s a fortyish minute cycle to the city centre, or you could go the other way to the airport, on a bike. There are lots of schools one is a leading national school in Dublin.

Dunsink Drive is not a place I plan to grow old, but as a first step onto the property ladder it seems to me to be a reasonable place to start, and if for some reason you get stuck, well, rather than a shoe box and a ton of debt, you’ll have a decent sized house (by Dublin standards) in an affordable part of town with a pretty small mortgage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I was on my way to a hospital appointment and unfortunately my car broke down there. I managed to get a taxi- and had my scope. On my return a few hours later to collect my car with a mechanic- I found the bonnet popped, various components stolen, and petrol spilled inside the car (i.e. they were going to burn it out- but I obviously got back before they actually lit the match).

The Gardai actually managed to catch the miscreants involved (rather surprisingly I thought) they were out on bail for other offences.

I was invited to the local Garda station about 3 months later- where I was presented with 300 Euro reparation towards the damage caused and the missing parts (it cost 2 grand to repair- the 300 was a token gesture).

I avoid the area like a plague- if you paid me I wouldn't go near it, day or night.

I also changed hospital consultant, and despite quite a hike- go to St. Vincents instead.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I was on my way to a hospital appointment and unfortunately my car broke down there. I managed to get a taxi- and had my scope. On my return a few hours later to collect my car with a mechanic- I found the bonnet popped, various components stolen, and petrol spilled inside the car (i.e. they were going to burn it out- but I obviously got back before they actually lit the match).

The Gardai actually managed to catch the miscreants involved (rather surprisingly I thought) they were out on bail for other offences.

I was invited to the local Garda station about 3 months later- where I was presented with 300 Euro reparation towards the damage caused and the missing parts (it cost 2 grand to repair- the 300 was a token gesture).

I avoid the area like a plague- if you paid me I wouldn't go near it, day or night.

I also changed hospital consultant, and despite quite a hike- go to St. Vincents instead.

What hospital where you going to that involved going through dunsink drive?
    Where were you coming from?

I think many people get mixed up between the dunsink drive area and the dunsink lane area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

kceire wrote: »
    What hospital where you going to that involved going through dunsink drive?
    Where were you coming from?

I think many people get mixed up between the dunsink drive area and the dunsink lane area.

I'd guess Cappagh or even taking the back roads to James Connolly

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I wouldn't buy there. There are really nice areas of Finglas especially in the East.

Advertisement