Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wall question

Options
  • 25-06-2015 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

We build an exterior brick wall between our neighbours in the back garden. The wall extends to the side of the house at the front.

Is there a regulation saying the bricks can't be left exposed at the front of the house?

Thks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Ramonapixie

Hi, brick or block? any block/concrete wall visible from a public pathway/area must be rendered or plastered and capped.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Strolling Bones

Is there a regulation saying the bricks can't be left exposed at the front of the house?

Bricks are always exposed.
    Do you means blocks?
    Can you post a photo?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Refer to Class 5 of the exempted development regs governing boundary walls and their finish http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/si/0600.html#sched2

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Here is a picture of the wall, its the yellow park that I am talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Strolling Bones

Non issue.
    Scale is small and harmonises with other materials.
    If you have an interfering neighbour - what a pity they have nothing better to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,306 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Hi all,

We build an exterior brick wall between our neighbours in the back garden. The wall extends to the side of the house at the front.

Thks
    As a matter of interest is this a new wall and if so what agreement did you have with the neighbour as to:
    where it would be built
    access from their side
    who paid

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

As a matter of interest is this a new wall and if so what agreement did you have with the neighbour as to:
    where it would be built
    access from their side
    who paid

Its a new wall, a month old. Neighbour didnt have the funds so we said we build it and ensure no damage to their trees and decking. We built the wall on our property to accommodate this and also so they wouldn't have to move their shed. All access to each side is the same as before.

They painted it while we were on holidays without asking, we just want the paint off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,306 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Its a new wall, a month old. Neighbour didnt have the funds so we said we build it and ensure no damage to their trees and decking. We built the wall on our property to accommodate this and also so they wouldn't have to move their shed. All access to each side is the same as before.

They painted it while we were on holidays without asking, we just want the paint off it.

Okay so the plot thickens,
    I couldn't see the detail on the picture, even having been to specsavers.
    Did they paint your side?

You have two issues here:
    the first sets out the rules of the game for such work
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/act/pub/0027/sec0043.html#sec43

the second is that now the wall is entirely on your side of the property boundary wall so your land registry maps are wrong.

It also means that the ownership of the wall is entirely yours and there is a issue that when they come to sell, they need your consent or else they have to advise the purchaser that the expected boundary line is not what they would expect.

The wall is yours but they can still " mend" it etc as the act, but they cannot use it for a lean to.

Any cases I have dealt with here have been amicable on this front.

I don't mean to be putting the frighteners on you but you do need to know what armoury they have/have not if it gets messy as well as the realities on the ground re the boundary line.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Okay so the plot thickens,
    I couldn't see the detail on the picture, even having been to specsavers.
    Did they paint your side?

You have two issues here:
    the first sets out the rules of the game for such work
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/act/pub/0027/sec0043.html#sec43

the second is that now the wall is entirely on your side of the property boundary wall so your land registry maps are wrong.

It also means that the ownership of the wall is entirely yours and there is a issue that when they come to sell, they need your consent or else they have to advise the purchaser that the expected boundary line is not what they would expect.

The wall is yours but they can still " mend" it etc as the act, but they cannot use it for a lean to.

Any cases I have dealt with here have been amicable on this front.

I don't mean to be putting the frighteners on you but you do need to know what armoury they have/have not if it gets messy as well as the realities on the ground re the boundary line.

Thanks for the information and if they come to sell, they have our consent. Always want an easy life.

They painted the front part of the wall which is on our property, what they do to the other side i don't mind.

Thanks for the above info

Advertisement