Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on cover letters.

Options
  • 08-06-2015 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

im just looking for some advice on writing cover letters. What is the best approach when writing cover letters for sales and retail assistant jobs. What skills should you put in, how should you address them ?

Do you write generic ones or write a new one for each job ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Try and find out the persons name who is going to be looking at it and address it to them. If you want the job write one just for them a generic one will just make it look like you don't really care.

Your cover letter is your chance to get across more of who you actually are so sell yourself as a person people buy from people and that's it what retailers are looking for (I have a retail business and this is who I want working for me!). Explain why you want the job and why you feel you have the skills that they are looking for.

A lot of the time CVs are very samey but a good cover letter can really make you stand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭skallywag

Keep it concise.

You want it to accurately & promptly bring across what position you are applying for and why you would think yourself suitable. Do not babble or include any superfluous detail, the letter should feel crisp and to the point. Take extra care on spelling and punctuation, and keep the content to the point.

In my opinion you should not be going beyond 5 or 6 well formed sentences in total.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Emsloe

im just looking for some advice on writing cover letters. What is the best approach when writing cover letters for sales and retail assistant jobs. What skills should you put in, how should you address them ?

Do you write generic ones or write a new one for each job ?

New one for each job. The CV demonstrates your work experience, the cover letter should demonstrate how that experience makes you the right person for the job. You need to spell it out for them as they may not even read past the cover letter. It also helps if you can relate how your experience meets/exceeds what's listed in the job spec. Keep it as long or as short as you need to, mine are typically close a full page but I've worked for a lot of years in a lot of industries.

Advertisement