Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sous vide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

LOL some funny stuff in here. I'd rather my brisket done in our smoker to be honest but each to their own. If its your hobby to sous vide then all well and good, but the average cook doesnt need one no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

How could a sous vide brisket be good, no smoke. Does the 48 hours break through the meat plateau?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

LOL some funny stuff in here. I'd rather my brisket done in our smoker to be honest but each to their own. If its your hobby to sous vide then all well and good, but the average cook doesnt need one no.

Perhaps you're under the assumption that posters here are average cooks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,798 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

@photo-sniper - You seem to be suggesting that us non-professional (& some pros here too) cooks should know our place & stick to our hobs & grills, & stay away from sous vide cooking & the like, which should remain the privilege of 'the pros'.

That's the way it comes across anyway. And as a home cook who likes to chance his arm at different cooking methods from time to time, I find that a bit disrespectful tbh.

We use this forum because we love our grub. We welcome people of all talents & tastes. And I certainly love reading about other members trying new things. That's the ethos of the forum. I hope you get the picture.

Happy cooking,

tHB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

If your confident at cooking, the only and best way to cook a steak should be to sear it on a viciously hot pan.

No thanks, I like my steak medium-rare from edge to edge, not just in the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Dubl07 wrote: »
    They'll mostly want a steak so I'm thinking of sealing each steak/pair of steaks in a ziploc, firing all the bags in a cooler full of water at 145°F and bringing the meat up to 130°F over two or three hours. That should equate to med-rare. Does that sound right?

Thanks for the reminder. I've a sous vide machine (Sous Vide Magic, one of those rice-cooker hack jobbies) that I really don't use enough. And I've never gotten around to doing steak with. Moves to the top of the to-do list to buy steak now! Will follow the advice on the thread here and report back :)

Oh, doh. My vacuum packer packed in, that's why I've not been using it. Are Ziplocs really a runner?

Thanks for the reminder. I've a sous vide machine (Sous Vide Magic, one of those rice-cooker hack jobbies) that I really don't use enough. And I've never gotten around to doing steak with. Moves to the top of the to-do list to buy steak now! Will follow the advice on the thread here and report back :)

Oh, doh. My vacuum packer packed in, that's why I've not been using it. Are Ziplocs really a runner?

Ziploc bags are fine, as long as you squeeze all the air out and keep the seam above the water line, clothes pegs work grand

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I saw a tip lately that involved almost closing the ziploc bag fully, and using a straw to suck the last of the air out. It seemed to work in the video :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

duploelabs wrote: »
    Ziploc bags are fine, as long as you squeeze all the air out and keep the seam above the water line, clothes pegs work grand

Do you mean clothes peg the bags to the side of the machine so they don't fall in?

On the squeezing the air out: I bookmarked this video on using water pressure to help get the air out
    http://youtu.be/RxVPcAMh28g
    I'm super clumsy though so not convinced I'll be able to successfully do this!

• Advertisement

just put your meat (I presume) at the bottom of the bag, and tightly roll it up towards the seal, that will push out all the air and then when you get the the loc seal then zip it closed. Yes, use the clothes peg to clip the top of the bag to the container holding your water bath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

@photo-sniper - You seem to be suggesting that us non-professional (& some pros here too) cooks should know our place & stick to our hobs & grills, & stay away from sous vide cooking & the like, which should remain the privilege of 'the pros'.

That's the way it comes across anyway. And as a home cook who likes to chance his arm at different cooking methods from time to time, I find that a bit disrespectful tbh.

We use this forum because we love our grub. We welcome people of all talents & tastes. And I certainly love reading about other members trying new things. That's the ethos of the forum. I hope you get the picture.

Happy cooking,

tHB
    Wasn't my suggestion at all. But wasn't trying to stir anything. Apologies.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

RasTa wrote: »
    How could a sous vide brisket be good, no smoke. Does the 48 hours break through the meat plateau?

Different types of cooking but you can combine, for example 48h sous vide then cold smoke.

Sous vide is low very slow cooking that slowly breaks down connective tissues without over cooking. The stall/plateau is a BBQ thing where evaporating moisture moderates the temperature of the meat. In sous vide its all sealed in a bag so different physics. You would still finish it on a skillet/bbq/blow torch/what ever to sear the out side (get the maillard reaction) like any meat sous vide.

I'd love to try, seems like way to much effort though unless it blows a bbq brisket out of the water.

Waiting 13-14 hours for a bbq brisket kills me, so this would be a no no.

I would use one for fish and maybe the odd steak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Thud

you lob it in and forget about it, or maybe turn it once much less effort bbq/smoking

Thud wrote: »
    you lob it in and forget about it, or maybe turn it once much less effort bbq/smoking

Same as smoking but I do have a pretty fancy bbq. How do you know when it's reached it's target internal temp?

• Advertisement

Same as smoking but I do have a pretty fancy bbq. How do you know when it's reached it's target internal temp?

You don't have to. The water bath is set to the target temp so it never gets hotter then the target. Hence you can gook it for 48 or 72h and it come out medium rare.

Hmmmm fair enough. My bbq can hold a temp for 15-20 hours however I'd be lost without my meat thermometor

Hmmmm fair enough. My bbq can hold a temp for 15-20 hours however I'd be lost without my meat thermometor

Sous Vide machines will hit a temp and hold it indefinitely to about 0.5 of a degree C precision. In some circumstances you do want to know when core has been heated to target and you use foam tape on the the outside of the bag and push the temp probe through that. The foam maintains the seal, thats for pretty high end stuff though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I jerry-rigged some equipment last night and did two fillet steaks over 90 minutes in squeezed out food bags with a bit of dripping and a sprig of thyme. Then I seared them all over on the pan at 240C and served with some mushroom sauce and saute potatoes. Rather lush for a first attempt. I may even purchase some proper kit. Thanks for the input.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Rew wrote: »
    Different types of cooking but you can combine, for example 48h sous vide then cold smoke.

Great excuse to get a second egg ;)

image_176.jpg

• Advertisement

Minder wrote: »
    Great excuse to get a second egg ;)

image_176.jpg

Id like to be in a position to drop 1k on the first egg before thinking of a 2nd! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭rebelgourmet

Quick brain dump on this thread generally;

'MacGyver' style setups aren't worth the trouble, as the cost of a basic off the shelf sous vide setup has become more affordable for domestic users, is more flexible and takes up less space than the 'cooler' option. Also, the risk of contamination is higher using 'MacGyver' due to the inaccuracy of the water holding temperature(critical over long cooking times). Anyway, I don't see the point of having to stand over a cooler with a kettle and thermometer for hours on end monitoring the temperature and adjusting - surely the real benefit of the professionally made tool is that you can 'set it and forget it'?

Regarding cooking an average sized steak sous vide, that's probably not where the real benefit of sous vide lies, and you wont see it used for that purpose in many professional environments.

Regarding outcomes on smoked brisket as an example, the 'smoker only' method done by someone experienced and with the time to manage temperatures manually with the 'stall' etc.. , and done over real fire is the "dogs u know what", period! The meat with exposure to real heat has time to develop deep flavour and a proper 'bark' or crust.

In my experience of a hybrid method using smoker and then sous vide, I have had best results by doing the following:

- brining(white meats) for appropriate time then seasoning with 'rub' a of choice,
    - smoking for approx. 4 hrs (there is decent evidence that after 4hrs the true impact of real smoke penetration diminishes),
    - vac-pac and sous vide for the remainder of the cooking time
    - resting the meat and re-applying surface seasoning or sauce, followed by quick browning of the crust using blowtorch or similar before serving

This is a pretty good method giving better moisture control with less risk of drying out or overcooking than traditional smoking, however, the depth of flavour and crust from traditional smoking is still superior IMHO. Alternatively, with this process the meat can be chilled after the original sous vide cooking, then re-heated to original serving temperature later using sous vide without ANY moisture loss.

Hope this is useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 rspeedie

I bought a Supreme Demi back in 2012. The main use I got out if it was cooking for very large groups and as part of a complex meal where it simply takes the guess work out of the cooking. I really think that's the main reason it's used so much in pro kitchens. The home vac packers aren't a patch on the pro ones and getting all the air out with a liquid in the bag is a pain. Easy on the big pro machines.

I'm in the Marcus Wareing camp these days...try a classic technique first...it's going to be far more flavourful. If anyone wants my Supreme, I'll let it go cheap :) Give me a pan or a pressure cooker any day.

rspeedie wrote: »
    I'm in the Marcus Wareing camp these days...try a classic technique first...it's going to be far more flavourful. If anyone wants my Supreme, I'll let it go cheap :) Give me a pan or a pressure cooker any day.

The same Marcus Wareing quoted here?

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/my-life-in-food-marcus-wareing-6292153.html

What are your most and least used pieces of kitchen kit?

I think I would say my sous vide machine. I have had one for about four years now and use it a lot in the kitchens at the Berkeley. It's a very good way of cooking: it's slow and you can keep the temperature under control precisely. I use it for meat and fish, the whole lot. But it works best with fish, it prevents it overcooking and drying out. Poach a fish and it tightens in the boiling water, you see; this way, it doesn't. Least used piece of kitchen equipment lives at home. We never use the kettle. My wife Jane had a new kitchen put in and she had one of those boiling water taps. And I'm from the northwest, so we only ever use boiling water for tea.

That article was 2012 Minder...things move on quckly.

I watched him on the MC Professionals in 2014 where he constantly berated every chef who came on for using sous vide as a lazy way out and talked a lot about going to back to classic cookery basics. As I said, it's best for pro kitchens and cooking in volume. I personally prefer a long slow braise or a pan roast, having used the sous vide a lot at home. Maybe I just got bored with it.

Yeah, I saw the date on that interview. He was probably on a sponsorship deal for sous vide goodies if he promoted the technique back then. As the popularity of the technique has grown, I noticed a reaction to it on a lot of the competitive cookery shows. Judges favour the classic techniques over the set & forget method as, I guess, it demonstrates more skill.

I use it for long, low temperature cooking. Confit of duck and boneless shoulder of lamb being the commonest. Did Turkey crown at Christmas year before last and it was great. Must get some brisket and try the 4 hour smoke, then sous vide mentioned by Rebelgourmet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭rebelgourmet

Minder wrote: »
    Must get some brisket and try the 4 hour smoke, then sous vide mentioned by Rebelgourmet.

Quick follow up note on this minder, I use a 6 rack bradley digital for smoking, and set the temp to 135c for the 4 hr smoke, good for pork butt, cheeks, lamb shoulder, pork belly or beef brisket. I finish out on sous vide at 82c for 10hrs for 'pulled' texture, less would do for more of 'prime cut steak' type finished texture, say 55 -70c for a longer time 48hr + depending on meat type. You know the drill...

Another note/tip, sous vide on smoked brisket produces a sensational stock (in the bag) which I save and user later

Sous Vide doesn't make for good TV, keep that in mind when quoting MC Professionals episodes. The unedited reality of the food they taste in those TV programs is that its cold and stale when the judges ooh and ahh over it and you wouldn't pay for it in a restaurant if it was put in front of you.

Sous Vide is as classic as any other the other techniques you want to throw out there. Unless you want to cook everything over an open fire or clay oven your cooking is modern. There are many top chefs who will tell you to sear a steak to keep the juices and flavour in. Thats completely untrue/wrong but its what they were taught and believe. Just because they are among the best in the world doesn't make them right about their beliefs. IMHO any and all cooking methods are equally valid and have there place, especially with home cooks who are just doing it for fun/hobby.

Sous Vide doesn't make for good TV, keep that in mind when quoting MC Professionals episodes. The unedited reality of the food they taste in those TV programs is that its cold and stale when the judges ooh and ahh over it and you wouldn't pay for it in a restaurant if it was put in front of you.

Sous Vide is as classic as any other the other techniques you want to throw out there. Unless you want to cook everything over an open fire or clay oven your cooking is modern. There are many top chefs who will tell you to sear a steak to keep the juices and flavour in. Thats completely untrue/wrong but its what they were taught and believe. Just because they are among the best in the world doesn't make them right about their beliefs. IMHO any and all cooking methods are equally valid and have there place, especially with home cooks who are just doing it for fun/hobby.

Well, yes I'm aware of exactly what happens on TV cooking shows, Masterchef especially, but the point is that Marcus Wareing as well as many other very good chefs find that some newer techniques get over used and often for the wrong ingredient, sous vide being one. Younger and inexperienced chefs copy trends at the top level of cookery but often without the understanding or skill of the innovator. Whether it's over using Feran Adria in inappropriate and unskilled ways, or Thomas Keller for sous vide, using the technique just because it's trendy rather than asking ... Is this the absolute best way to extract flavour from the ingredient? The classic techniques ala Escoffier don't include sous vide and that was really what I was referring to. It is of course a relevant technique. But there are very few people including Heston Blumenthal who ignore the classics.

As a hobbyist, doing dishes for fun and trying things out to learn and experiment, of course, sous vide is worth a bash. That's why bought Under Pressure, got all the kit, tried loads of dishes... but having said all that, I think the best use of it is in a commercial kitchen and a beef cheek cooked in the bag for a day isn't as good as a beef cheek slow braised overnight in a very low oven with a veal stock and a bunch of aromatics.

Added: I think this article sums sous vide up for me perfectly. Ignore the article title..it's just an attention grabber. A great technique in skilled hands...turns food to mush in many others

Take out the brackets http://[] insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/blog/2012/08/30/we’ve-banned-foie-gras-now-let’s-ban-sous-vide/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

As a hobbyist, doing dishes for fun and trying things out to learn and experiment, of course, sous vide is worth a bash. That's why bought Under Pressure, got all the kit, tried loads of dishes... but having said all that, I think the best use of it is in a commercial kitchen and a beef cheek cooked in the bag for a day isn't as good as a beef cheek slow braised overnight in a very low oven with a veal stock and a bunch of aromatics.

Added: I think this article sums sous vide up for me perfectly. Ignore the article title..it's just an attention grabber. A great technique in skilled hands...turns food to mush in many others

Take out the brackets http://[] insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/blog/2012/08/30/we’ve-banned-foie-gras-now-let’s-ban-sous-vide/

Blah-blah aside, anyone who bans foie gras is a numpty.

The wonder of the world is that we can diversely conduct our own little experiments and can if we wish include aromatics and the like inside a sous-vide pouch - either McGyver or techno.

• Advertisement

I don't think he was really looking to ban fois gras...kind of exaggeration to make a point.

I also don't think I suggested banning anyone making experiments? I thought it was a discussion with opinions. Boards.ie is so unnecessarily combative. You can, if you wish, cook anyway you like.

It's pretty hard to get the technique right without a commercial vac packer. The home versions are not good with liquid, no matter how you jimmy it, add on extra bag material, let the bag full of liquid hang down whilst doing the seal, dry the bag sealing point thoroughly whilst sealing...you get a sealed bag alright but there's still air in there along with the liquid...the whole point is that it's cooking under the pressure of having no air. Just sharing my experiences of having used the technique a lot...not looking to criticise anyone....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Thud

the whole point is that it's cooking under the pressure of having no air...

not really, the point is of sous vide is cooking to an accurate temp and holding it there (if necessary), the main downside of having air in the bag is that the bags float, a peg or weight will sort that out. The secondary downside is that aromatics may not be in contact with the food as much as in a proper vacuum pack but I would say the difference is negligible with the ziplock method and even less if using a home vacuum pack machine

Yes sous vide is about accurately controlling and holding temperature, but the total absence of air is essential for the technique to achieve it's full potential. I've often found that when I tried to compress rhubarb for example with a sugar syrup in teabag that it did not achieve the results Keller described. I'm using a Supreme Demi and a home vacuum packer. I found that air in the bag in any way altered the desired results.

From the Institute of Culinary Education

The absence of air allows the even transfer of heat to the foods that are in the bag, which gives them the same texture through and through, from surface to center. When textural contrasts are desired, such as with meat, which doesn’t offer the best sensory effect when completely soft, the food can be quickly deep fried or sautéed, which will give it a thin crus

I don't think he was really looking to ban fois gras...kind of exaggeration to make a point.

I also don't think I suggested banning anyone making experiments? I thought it was a discussion with opinions. Boards.ie is so unnecessarily combative. You can, if you wish, cook anyway you like.

It's pretty hard to get the technique right without a commercial vac packer. The home versions are not good with liquid, no matter how you jimmy it, add on extra bag material, let the bag full of liquid hang down whilst doing the seal, dry the bag sealing point thoroughly whilst sealing...you get a sealed bag alright but there's still air in there along with the liquid...the whole point is that it's cooking under the pressure of having no air. Just sharing my experiences of having used the technique a lot...not looking to criticise anyone....

The problems is, distilling down your comments, your saying they only belong in pro kitchens and that the pros shouldn't really bother with the either and everyone should cook in the classic french style and quote a celebrity chef who flip flops on the subject as your backup. I have more respect for the die hard classic chefs who spout nonsense like searing steaks to seal them at least they are consistent.

If you want to throw out chef names who are anti <insert whatever technique> its easy to throw out one that has the opposite opinion. This forum (I believe) is about cooking and recipes not chefs and their snobbery for their flavour of cooking and lets face it there is a lot of snobbery in food. Lets face it on any food related internet forum for amateurs suggesting home cooks shouldn't try <insert technique here> is going to go down in flames.

There are fundamental misunderstandings about sous vide and what you can use them for, you can sous vide a crème brûlée for example. Its a cooking method that you can use in as many different ways as you can an oven, hob, grill etc. All of those can ruin food as much as any other method. If someone came on and suggested the only way possible to cook a particular meat or fish was sous vide I would be equally quick to say otherwise.

Vac packing isn't required at all unless you want to do the super long cooks and the work around for liquids with home vac packers for long cooks is to freeze the liquids first. For super long cooks you need to retard aerobic bacteria growth hence the pac packing. Removing air is just to have maximum heat transfer from water to food you get that with a ziplock as already mentioned.

Sous Vide circulators are about €150 now. Thats cheaper then most appliances in a home kitchen. High end hobs are beginning to build them in. Its something that is going to become a lot more common.

I think you've distilled the comments incorrectly. Sous vide is a great technique in the right hands, it works better in a commercial kitchen from a maintainence of consistent quality and is convenient, but IMO is over used and often for the wrong ingredients. I don't see any problem with anyone giving it a go, why should I, that would be totally hypocritical, but I have a different personal experience of cooking sous vide to yours, it worked great sometimes, not so great a lot also...I'm obviously doing it wrong! Whenever I got into a kitchen with a pro vac packer, it work far better, for both short and long cooks. Just my experience. I don't think everyone should cook in the classic french style...I just wish that more chefs out there would get back to basics and just cook well. Anyway, I'm obviously not helping so will cease and desist.

By the way, great tip about freezing of liquids, never thought of that.

Sous Vide circulators are about €150 now. Thats cheaper then most appliances in a home kitchen. High end hobs are beginning to build them in. Its something that is going to become a lot more common.

It's a long way off becoming mainstream unfortunately, and I wonder why? There is comparatively very little sous vide recipe resources out there. The odd specialist cookbook, like Thomas Keller's Under Pressure mentioned earlier. For example, Madalene Bonvini-Hamel at the British Larder published her British Larder Cookbook in Nov 2012 and left out the sous vide recipes entirely. They are available on her website, but the decision to omit them was based on the assumption that the reader would want to be able to cook the recipes without having to buy a load of expensive kit.

But, as you say, the kit is getting cheaper and easier to get. So I wonder if the lack of recipes is due to the health risks if it goes wrong. Sous Vide enthusiasts quickly discovered ways to work around the need for expensive kit - far quicker than the prices reduced for the kit. Circulators are common and reasonably cheap. Water baths are less common and still expensive. Vacuum packers are cheap whereas chamber vacuums are still ridiculously expensive and there isn't a chamber vacuum available from a mainstream retailer yet. Or is it just seen as a technique for pro's and amateur enthusiasts only?

Personally I think water baths are obsolete now with the circulators being so good. The necessity of chamber vacs are far overrated ,though given the option I would of course love one and they do have their specific uses. Outside of vac packing you can use chamber vacs to remove air from jellies and other liquids that will be set to give you smooth textures. Im not sure what movement we can ever expect to see on domestic chamber vacs as they are pretty bulky to have in the average kitchen. For delicate things like fish you are actually far better off with the ziplock then a vacuum pack as you squash and distort the the flesh.

I wouldn't go out of my way to buy a pure sous vide book (I don't have and haven't read Kellers book). A lot of books have specific recipes (Blumenthal's At Home book and Changs Momofuku book for example). Online you have Chef Steps, Modernist Cuisine, Serious Eats and the sites for the Sous Vide bath/circulator manufacturers all have loads of good recipes.

You can experiment as well. I did venison haunch for 2 hours @ 55 C then onto crazy hot skillet last weekend and it was lovely. (id go 4 hours next time). I do the first step of triple cooked chips in the sous vide as well. I always had trouble with the first step when doing it in a pot so now I put them in a bag with brine and glucose then into the bath at 90 C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He wasn't exaggeration to make a point. The author is in california (Bay area) where fois gras has been banned since 2012.

From the Institute of Culinary Education

The absence of air allows the even transfer of heat to the foods that are in the bag, which gives them the same texture through and through, from surface to center. When textural contrasts are desired, such as with meat, which doesn’t offer the best sensory effect when completely soft, the food can be quickly deep fried or sautéed, which will give it a thin crus
    A large air pocket could well affect the temp transfer to the meat. But tiny little air pockets won't affect the temp. If all the surround meat is 52 degrees, then the area at the air bubble will reach 52 soon after. Whether its more contact with the water or the surround meat doesn't really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Joolzie

Renier wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if there a place in ireland that sell sous vide equipment for home use or would I have to shop online.

You can get it now in argos, under food sealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭dcollins

Hi Guys, I bought myself the Anova Sous vide precision and while waiting for it I was given one as a gift. :-/ so I ended up with two.
    I found getting one in ireland hard and I'm going to list the brand new one I bought on Adverts. but since ye're the foodies I wanted to ask if anyone here is interested.

I'm a long time boardsie - I'm putting this on here to be helpful, not schill. But please let me know or have a mod get on to me if I shouldn't, I just figured since its an often out of stock, relatively rare item there was scope to let ye know.

Separately if there is any questions you guys have about how/what I use it for let me know! As a bit of a food nerd I have to say I do love the steak from it, 63.5 custardy eggs are the GF's fav now. Still loads of plans to try more stuff. I'm going to try temper chocolate in mine.
    Has anyone tried chocolate making with it? -Dan

dcollins wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I bought myself the Anova Sous vide precision and while waiting for it I was given one as a gift. :-/ so I ended up with two.
    I found getting one in ireland hard and I'm going to list the brand new one I bought on Adverts. but since ye're the foodies I wanted to ask if anyone here is interested.

A freind might be how much are you selling for?
    Separately if there is any questions you guys have about how/what I use it for let me know! As a bit of a food nerd I have to say I do love the steak from it, 63.5 custardy eggs are the GF's fav now. Still loads of plans to try more stuff. I'm going to try temper chocolate in mine.
    Has anyone tried chocolate making with it? -Dan

Not chocolate but have done short ribs, steak, duck, venison, eggs, scrambled eggs probably something I have forgotten! :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Decided to buy a sous vide online after much procrastination.

And no sooner did I order it, I saw that they are now selling them in Lidl.

€69.99 for the machine.
    €29.99 for the vacuum sealer.
    €6.99 for the bags.

Maybe if the Lidl one isn't great quality I'll feel a little bit better. I think it's small enough though:

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=33285

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I bought a Lidl vacumn sealer about a year back. It was a nightmare to operate and I returned it within a week

Ive seen those Sous vide machines on Amazon they get bad reviews (inaccurate temperature reading, unstable temperature) and you are limited to the size of the water bath. If you bought a good immersion circulator I would feel confident in it being money well spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Decided to buy a sous vide online after much procrastination.

And no sooner did I order it, I saw that they are now selling them in Lidl.

€69.99 for the machine.
    €29.99 for the vacuum sealer.
    €6.99 for the bags.

Maybe if the Lidl one isn't great quality I'll feel a little bit better. I think it's small enough though:

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=33285
    You have 14 days to return it no questions asked if it was bought in the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ciog52

On Monday I bought the Lidl machine, sealer and bags. Early days yet. Getting used to it, tried to vacuum seal a bag with liquid in it . A definite no no.

First effort at steak not good as bag not sealed properly. Did it a second time and result was excellent but you have to sear the meat when you take it out of the bag.

Water going in needs to be hot as machine will take ages to heat. Veg a no no so far. Much easier to steam or bake

Going to try a round roast in it. Would love to hear anybody else's experiences with this or any other machine

ciog52 wrote: »
    On Monday I bought the Lidl machine, sealer and bags. Early days yet. Getting used to it, tried to vacuum seal a bag with liquid in it . A definite no no.

First effort at steak not good as bag not sealed properly. Did it a second time and result was excellent but you have to sear the meat when you take it out of the bag.

Water going in needs to be hot as machine will take ages to heat. Veg a no no so far. Much easier to steam or bake

Going to try a round roast in it. Would love to hear anybody else's experiences with this or any other machine

Freeze liquid before sealing (obviously not possible with oils)

Always double seal the bags (or triple)

Big thick steaks work best

Get a cast iron skillet for doing your searing.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ciog52

Never thought of freezing liquids. I now use a double seal and I have a cast iron griddle which I use to finish steaks

Cool, the griddle should be craze hot before putting steak on it also pat the steak dry with paper towel before you sear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Also, sear the steak in a crazy hot cast iron pan for 30 seconds on either side, then vacuum pack it with a pat of butter, sous vide it for 90 minutes or more at your chosen temperature (I'm liking 57C at the moment), then take it out of the bag, reserve the liquid in the bag to make a pan sauce with if you like that kind of thing, dry the steak with paper towels and sear the steak again in a cast iron pan for another 30-40 seconds on either side; add some butter and thyme to the pan and baste like a mad thing for that minute if you'd like (it's quite lovely). And have the butcher cut the steaks much much thicker than normal (1.5 to 2 inches). In fact, it's sometimes a good idea to just get the one steak for two people, but get it very thick, put all the time into cooking that just right and then slice and divide and serve. Same amount of steak each as if you just chucked something from the styrofoam into the pan, but it'll taste a damn sight better.

iueuofml.jpg

(I left that one in the pan too long on the second sear, hence the graduation at the top edge; but it's almost an edge-to-edge steak. I'll take that over a roast for sunday dinner thanks :) )

• Advertisement
Advertisement