Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 17-05-2015 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

Anyone watch the first installment of the Danish drama 1864?

I was very impressed with the introduction, especially the writing and acting.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Watched first two episodes today. Excellent stuff.

I've no idea of the history of it all but the characters have me caught up already. Beautifully shot too. Fun to spot all the familiar faces from BBC's previous Danish shows too.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

Watched first two episodes today. Excellent stuff.

I've no idea of the history of it all but the characters have me caught up already. Beautifully shot too. Fun to spot all the familiar faces from BBC's previous Danish shows too.

It is indeed beautifully shot.

I had no idea of the history either but it is a fun way to learn about it all.

And yes, many familiar faces in the cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I was reading up about it wondering if I'd go for it but the word "beastiality" crops up a lot in reviews. Is it a bit out there? I was expecting a flouncy period piece.
    Is this headline from the Radio Times reflective? :
    The new period drama comes with sex, war and bestiality galore

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-05-16/why-new-scandi-drama-1864-caused-a-storm-of-controversy-in-denmark

I was reading up about it wondering if I'd go for it but the word "beastiality" crops up a lot in reviews. Is it a bit out there? I was expecting a flouncy period piece.
    Is this headline from the Radio Times reflective? :

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-05-16/why-new-scandi-drama-1864-caused-a-storm-of-controversy-in-denmark

There was one brief scene where the drunken rich guys were bothering a cow. It was a weird one, for sure, but it was a few seconds at most. Unless it comes up again in later episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Is it good or is it just that Scandinavia shows on BBC4 are hip to hipsters?

• Advertisement

Is it good or is it just that Scandinavia shows on BBC4 are hip to hipsters?

I think it's good. The Scandinavian shows seem to focus more on characters and telling a good story. I'm fairly convinced that the US networks are copying this format with shows like True Detective and the likes.

I had feared that episodes 3 & 4 would fail to live up to the lofty heights scaled by episodes 1 & 2, but my fears proved unfounded as last night's installments delivered in many ways.

The writing in this show is top-class and very intelligent. I like the regular references to Shakespeare and other writers. The scathing attacks on the men and women war-mongers who send a nation's youth into battle was very poignant. The image of Monrad with blood on his hands was striking and the insanity of war was well illustrated throughout.

As mentioned previously, the cinematography is indeed quite magnificent and the battle scenes were very well done in 3 & 4.

The plots and sub-plots between the main characters are unfolding quite nicely and I am already looking forward to the next few installments.

This show just keeps delivering on all fronts.

Episodes 5 & 6 were a brilliant expose on the horrors, the brutality and the insanity of men killing each other. Some of the battle scenes were very graphic and grim, but I guess they only partly related the true reality of war.

Prime Minister Monrad, meanwhile, grows madder by the episode with impending defeat looming.

The tender relationship between the present day young Claudia and the old Baron took on a whole new dimension last night.

Didrich showed himself to be the out-and-out creep we suspected he was, especially after his antics last week.

I wasn't feeling the present day stuff for the first few episodes, it felt a bit clunky. Somewhere between 3 and 6 it started to work though.

Something that's so well done on these Danish shows is the pacing. They're all slow enough to allow for excellent character development but aren't so slow that you lose interest. I see a lot of American and even British shows trying to recreate that atmospheric slow burn but they rarely get it right. Happy Valley on BBC last year I think was the one example of them getting it spot on.

I'm wondering if Inge ends up with Didrich? I don't see how the Baron could have ended up with the big house if he's just related to Inge?

I wasn't feeling the present day stuff for the first few episodes, it felt a bit clunky. Somewhere between 3 and 6 it started to work though.

It really began to work in 3/4 alright and now seems quite apt.

Something that's so well done on these Danish shows is the pacing. They're all slow enough to allow for excellent character development but aren't so slow that you lose interest. I see a lot of American and even British shows trying to recreate that atmospheric slow burn but they rarely get it right. Happy Valley on BBC last year I think was the one example of them getting it spot on.

Well spotted. Now that you mention it, I will be watching the American and British shows with new eyes.
    I'm wondering if Inge ends up with Didrich? I don't see how the Baron could have ended up with the big house if he's just related to Inge?

I was beginning to fear the same conclusion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What an excellent TV show, ended up binging on episodes 3 to 8 in one sitting last night. Beautifully shot, fantastic acting and a great story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Well that was excellent.

My only objection was Johan's tricks on last week's episodes. I honestly thought
    that he was going to "revive" Laust again. It was so obvious he'd die after knowin Peter would survive the war.

Hard to see see Inge's change after she gets the news, just a shadow of the strong woman she was.
    And marrying Didrich knowing what he did to Sofia?

Let alone Monrad, so defeated and delusional...

Sure I'll rewatch the series again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Is it just me or does the actor who plays Didrich look rather like Michael Shannon? (Van Alden from Boardwalk Empire)

Wow. What a show.

I didn't think they could do much more with the battle scenes but episode 7 was just astounding from the war scene point of view. There were several sequences which were silent or almost silent (except for the sounds of war- cries, screams etc) which were very powerful viewing. The juxtaposition of Inge bringing life into the world against all the men losing their lives' was excellent.

I think it also worth mentioning that the scriptwriters, along with the camera work, effects, costumes etc, should take a bow. Some of the writing was simply fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Great series, some really strong acting which is to be expected with Scandinavian imports. Great mixture of romance, drama and war. The war scenes in episode 7 were very powerful. One downside, which could be avoided, was the coming next bits at the end of the episode. Basically told you everything that was going to happen in the next episode.

What is the next Scandinavian import to hit our shores?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Third season of The Bridge can't be far off, I'm hoping early Autumn. Not sure how long subtitling it would put it behind the Swedish/Danish air date though.

Trailer for season 3:

My word!

I had to wait a day to watch the last episode after watching episode 7. Almost an entire hour of a battle scene and yet it was memorising. I think it was obvious
    Laust was going to die but I didn't think saving Didrich would be the cause of it.

Also, for the poster above who said about
    Inge marrying Didrich after what he did to Sofia.
    I'm pretty sure in an earlier episode Inge said that Sofia never told them what happened until years later. Also, Inge's parents didn't really give her much choice in any of it.

I don't have much more to add to what everyone else has already said. An absolutely fantastic series and another example from Denmark as to what all TV should aspire to be.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Great series, some really strong acting which is to be expected with Scandinavian imports. Great mixture of romance, drama and war. The war scenes in episode 7 were very powerful. One downside, which could be avoided, was the coming next bits at the end of the episode. Basically told you everything that was going to happen in the next episode.

What is the next Scandinavian import to hit our shores?

Third season of The Bridge can't be far off, I'm hoping early Autumn. Not sure how long subtitling it would put it behind the Swedish/Danish air date though.

Yep, The Bridge season 3 is due in early Autumn.
    My word!

I had to wait a day to watch the last episode after watching episode 7. Almost an entire hour of a battle scene and yet it was memorising. I think it was obvious
    Laust was going to die but I didn't think saving Didrich would be the cause of it.

I'm pretty sure in an earlier episode Inge said that Sofia never told them what happened until years later. Also, Inge's parents didn't really give her much choice in any of it.

I don't have much more to add to what everyone else has already said. An absolutely fantastic series and another example from Denmark as to what all TV should aspire to be.

You are right- around episode 3/4, Inge did state that Sofia kept the secret for years afterwards. Only Sofia''s brother, Ignazio, had any inkling of what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

lockman wrote: »
    You are right- around episode 3/4, Inge did state that Sofia kept the secret for years afterwards. Only Sofia''s brother, Ignazio, had any inkling of what happened.
    That's my bad memory playing tricks again. Kind of got confused with Inge knowing that Sofia was pregnant and the brother gessing who was the father... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I missed this the first time around, but RTE2 is starting it this coming Sunday night, 23:20.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
Advertisement