Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the "normal" electricity bill?

Options
  • 07-05-2015 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi people,

I'm paying about €100 per month for my electricity bill. It seems a bit high to me but I was wondering what would be the "normal" bill for my situation.
    I'm with Electric Ireland. I live in a bungalow. I don't use the tumble dryer. I have an electric shower but I use it very very little. I use the water heated up by the heating (oil) most of the time. I use the oven about twice a week. I use the washing machine about once a day though and use the de-humidifier for a few hours every day. I work from home and have the computer on all day.
    Thanks for reading
    Yanu

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Crunchienut

Seems a bit high to me. I'm also with Electric Ireland, 4 adults in 3 bed house. 3 out working all day, electric shower, electric cooking, dryer only used when weather too bad to hang out clothes, oil heating so immersion used rarely. My typical bill is €80 per month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

I'm with bord gais for my electricity and my last bill for 23 Jan 2015 to 15 Mar 2015 was 89.88.

That's with the wife at home all day most days with the kid, so at least one tv on all day, washing machine on most days, cooker etc on every day at least once, many kettle boils etc and then the computer would be on most evenings and maybe 2 tvs

No immersion or tumble dryer in our house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Seems quite high tbh. 2 adults & 2 kids in a 4 bed with average cost of 75 during summer months & 90 during winter months

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Yanu

Thanks for replying guys

This is my last bill:

Your bill amount is: EUR 210.71

Billing period: 27 Feb 15 to 5 May 15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭webpal

our bill is about 250 and never seems to go much above or beyond that. I downloaded their app and entered in all the applicances and usage details and just about worked my bill perfectly. Nearly 40% of my bill goes on lights. I'd receommend downloading the app to see where your usage is going. Showers, kettles, irons, modems, TVs etc, everything is listed and nothing comes close to the lights costs, was an eye opener for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

slinky2000 wrote: »
    I'm with bord gais for my electricity and my last bill for 23 Jan 2015 to 15 Mar 2015 was 89.88.

That's with the wife at home all day most days with the kid, so at least one tv on all day, washing machine on most days, cooker etc on every day at least once, many kettle boils etc and then the computer would be on most evenings and maybe 2 tvs

Similar price: 21 Jan - 27 Mar = €84.56

I have switches on all plugs so generally turn off anything that's not in use (albeit it's a small drain but why turn them on if no need, plus minimises risk of fire from older electronics left plugged in).

OP it could well be the lights. I have LEDs and CFL bulbs exclusively. Do you have any of the "standard" bulbs in your house on in the evenings?

Also regarding the oven, try getting a mini-oven. I use one of those and only use the big oven at Xmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Yanu

The lights might be part of the problem alright, I think they are on quite a lot
    Webpal, i'm downloading the app now and I see. Thanks.

Yanu wrote: »
    The lights might be part of the problem alright, I think they are on quite a lot

Before I switched to LED/CFL my bills were double, so that and the oven could be the cause.

In fact the power from 70% of all my lights is equivalent to having one incandescent light bulb on.

Mini-ovens are around €100 in Argos so worth the investment.

I got one of these a while back to measure the electricity usage of various appliances:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plug-In-Power-and-Energy-Monitor/dp/B000Q7PJGW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431002025&sr=8-1&keywords=electricity+meter

Couldn't believe how high the draw was from my TV when left in standby mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

My last bill was €154.68 for period - 20th Feb to 22nd April,

2 Adult, 2 Kids home.

Bills_zpswyegfzca.jpg

So my average Monthly Bill for the past year is €77.67

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Does that include the standing charge of 27 euro per billing period as 63 euro of raw electricity for a 2 month period or 32 euro for one months electricity is not really feasible especially when your wife and kid are at home alot.

The average cost for a household in Ireland is ~1200 euro per year before discounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 YanaSoko

Im with Electric Ireland. The bill from 16 December till 17 February was €358.81, and just the bill for €280. I live in two apartment with my son... I cook everyday, tv/computer is on in the evenings, have electric heating and use it a lot as the apartment is cold also use electricity to heat up the water to take showers daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 YanaSoko

Im with Electric Ireland. The bill from 16 December till 17 February was €358.81, and just the bill for €280. I live in two apartment with my son... I cook everyday, tv/computer is on in the evenings, have electric heating and use it a lot as the apartment is cold also use electricity to heat up the water to take showers daily.

Zardoz wrote: »
    Does that include the standing charge of 27 euro per billing period as 63 euro of raw electricity for a 2 month period or 32 euro for one months electricity is not really feasible especially when your wife and kid are at home alot.

The average cost for a household in Ireland is ~1200 euro per year before discounts.

Is that the pso levy or standing charge? Then yes. Here's the breakdown from the bill:

Residential Tariff: Urban 24 hour (23 Jan 2015 to 15 Mar 2015)

Standing Charge 52 days, 36.06 cent/day, € 18.75
    24 hour Units, 334, 16.54 cent/kWh, € 55.24
    Discount, 0.00, € 5.52 CR
    PSO Levy 2, 5.36 €/Month, € 10.72
    Total excluding VAT, € 79.19
    VAT @ 13.5%, € 10.69
    Total Including VAT, € 89.88

Is that the pso levy or standing charge? Then yes. Here's the breakdown from the bill:

Residential Tariff: Urban 24 hour (23 Jan 2015 to 15 Mar 2015)

Standing Charge 52 days, 36.06 cent/day, € 18.75
    24 hour Units, 334, 16.54 cent/kWh, € 55.24
    Discount, 0.00, € 5.52 CR
    PSO Levy 2, 5.36 €/Month, € 10.72
    Total excluding VAT, € 79.19
    VAT @ 13.5%, € 10.69
    Total Including VAT, € 89.88

Seems very low for a bill ,especially a winter bill.
    Do you use gas for heating and cooking ?

Seems very low for a bill ,especially a winter bill.
    Do you use gas for heating and cooking ?

Yes gas for heating and cooking. Solar panels on roof too help with the hot water, and as I said before we have no electric immersion.

Yes gas for heating and cooking. Solar panels on roof too help with the hot water, and as I said before we have no electric immersion.

Ok ,I see that makes a big difference so .

Ok ,I see that makes a big difference so .

Well maybe to clear that last statement up, The hob is gas, the cooker is electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

2 adults in a 3 bedroom house
    gas is used for the heating and everything else is electric
    avg bill in summer months -€60 p/month
    Avg Bill in the winter - €90-€110

I'm with energia(for now). I research www.bonkers.ie every year to compare the prices between each supplier and then move:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi all,

Our Appliance Calculator is a handy tool for gauging the consumption patterns of different devices.

Check also whether your bills are based on meter-readings or estimates. Do send in a meter-reading any time a bill is estimated, if you can (here on Boards by PM if you like). ESB Networks aims to read a meter of any electricity supplier's customer for four out of the six annual bills (subject to accessibility of the meter) and the remaining two bills are estimated. As well as the scenario of over-estimation, it can also be the case that a bill is under-estimated, resulting in the difference being added to the next bill based on a meter-reading.

For Electric Ireland customers, we can set up payment plans for the entire duration between bills if necessary. If any of you who are Electric Ireland customers would like us to clarify anything on your account via here on Boards.ie, do private message us stating that you are the account-holder, your Electric Ireland account number, name, address in full and telephone number. We are available on Boards until 6pm Monday to Friday.

Kind regards,
    Una

• Advertisement
Advertisement