Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your advertising....

Options
  • 16-04-2015 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭

Hi, was browsing one of the threads in After Hours and the advert below popped up?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

You need to post that in this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056855938

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

W
    T
    F
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Hah hah hah hah hah, in the traveller thread and all :D

What does Populary mean?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

That ad has been blocked now, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Orion wrote: »
    What does Populary mean?
    It means they're asking for money, even though they're already filthy rich. i.e. Like the Pope.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

That ad has been blocked now, thanks.

Eh, no it hasn't!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

That's hilarious.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

token101 wrote: »
    Eh, no it hasn't!

That's a different ad, the wording has changed. But it needs blocking equally.

Spear wrote: »
    That's a different ad, the wording has changed. But it needs blocking equally.

It's not an actual advert :pac::pac: It's clearly adware/spyware but there's surely something Boards could be doing to stamp this out.

• Advertisement

It's one of the ads being delivered by the embedded third party ad network. It's not spyware or adware related.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

What happens if you click on? This isn't a real service is it? I'm interested in the crowd that claim this when the armed forces think twice about setting foot past those gates :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

who do I call?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Eh, no it hasn't!

That's a different ad with different wording (presumably because we blocked the other one). I'll ask for this to be blocked also, thanks.

That's a different ad with different wording (presumably because we blocked the other one). I'll ask for this to be blocked also, thanks.

There's about a million of them, honestly! I can't take screenshots of all of them but and it's actually worse on mobile. When you click into the that particular AH thread on mobile, there are adverts everywhere for 'traveller eviction', 'gypsy removal' etc. I get that it's just keywords, but surely there's a better way of managing these!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

There is, if Google wanted to do so. Their business is set up to capture as many paying people as possible. It is not in their interests to take serious action against the businesses that are spending money and deliberately mislabelling their ads to show up in our approved list. Needless to say, those aren't the sorts of ads we have even the slightest interest in running.

I presume it's the Rathkeale thread. I've just browsed the entire thread while logged out and didn't see any ads like that. Must be some other keywords in your cookies or something.

I presume it's the Rathkeale thread. I've just browsed the entire thread while logged out and didn't see any ads like that. Must be some other keywords in your cookies or something.

I was viewing in incognito mode so it's got nothing to do with cookies

Odd then. On my desktop at home I use the hosts file from mvps so I can't get any ads from anywhere. Tried on my work PC and phone and didn't see these even once.

Odd then. On my desktop at home I use the hosts file from mvps so I can't get any ads from anywhere. Tried on my work PC and phone and didn't see these even once.

Yeah, I generally use ad blockers so I don't see them but I turned them off for 4OD and this happened! Appreciate adverts are deliberately miscategorised but surely there's some way of the site promoting the adverts being able to read the text the adverts present served & dropping them if they contain certain keywords in the ad text?

FWIW, there's another advert this morning there. I can't take screenshots but it's in the top banner advert section and it's listing '24hourbailiffs.com' under the usual eviction stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Appreciate adverts are deliberately miscategorised but surely there's some way of the site promoting the adverts being able to read the text the adverts present served & dropping them if they contain certain keywords in the ad text?

I'm afraid there isn't. We plug in Google's code and it serves the ad, our code never looks at it nor does it have a means of screening the content beyond how we've configured the ad network settings. If we could do it, I'm reasonably certain we'd try it.

Advertisement