Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flightscope/Puttlab etc.

Options
  • 14-04-2015 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭

I see a few threads popping up every now and then where people are asking is there anywhere they can use the tech tools anywhere on a rental basis, for example doing a gap test with Flightscope or figuring out launch angles, spin rates etc.
    I had toyed with the idea of buying a Flightscope or GC2/HMT but its obviously a lot of money for what's essentially a toy/training aid. As a physicist I'm fascinated by these tools and how they can break the long game (and even putting!) down into a set of tangible numbers that you need to keep in a certain range and the few times I've used them I've loved being able to relate swing thoughts to an actual numerical change.

Do you think there would be a demand for a service where people could come for an hour and have a session on a launch monitor or an analysis of their putting stroke, without the pressure of it being a club fitting or a lesson?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

I think there definitely would amongst a certain section of the golfing public i.e. those the understand what the numbers mean and what they are looking to change. But my feeling is that this population is quite small.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

I was once thinking of putting a day together at a range where people could come in and use our GC2 in turn for a general introduction to their club for us.

If there is an appetite I can revisit the idea.

J

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

zuutroy wrote: »
    Do you think there would be a demand for a service where people could come for an hour and have a session on a launch monitor or an analysis of their putting stroke, without the pressure of it being a club fitting or a lesson?

I don't mean to be negative, but I don't think there would be a sustainable market for this unfortunately.

I'd love to give it a go, and probably so would a lot of other people, but would they keep coming back? If you were a teaching pro with these facilities then maybe. You could work on numerous things while having figures to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Redzah

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I don't mean to be negative, but I don't think there would be a sustainable market for this unfortunately.

I'd love to give it a go, and probably so would a lot of other people, but would they keep coming back? If you were a teaching pro with these facilities then maybe. You could work on numerous things while having figures to back it up.

I agree with the above, couldn't see the market for this at all, much too small. Even if there was a market then you can be sure that the local teaching pro would just jump on the band wagon as competition offering his flightscope without lessons for a reduced free.

Too many people have no idea how to interpret the figures. For example, I've been playing for years and I don't have a clue what they mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Yeah I guess you're all right. Oh well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

My pro uses trackman now for all my lessons. Have to say it I quite enjoy working with it (i'm quite analytic though) but I have to say the figures are meaningless if you cannot interpret them AND understand the relationship to how the golf ball is behaving.

It's not for everyone though plus it's not something mid/high handicappers will benefit from all the time. People tend to get caught up in the figures as opposed to the goal; which is to control the behavior of the golf ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

if your pro/local golf store have a Flightscope ask them can you book the time for the gap test/ fitting as you would normally a lesson, I'm sure they would do it.
    as a side what would you pay for the service?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Best thing about flightscope , you cant hide your faults , seeing is believing

• Registered Users Posts: 24 The real Grizzly Adams

zuutroy wrote: »
    I see a few threads popping up every now and then where people are asking is there anywhere they can use the tech tools anywhere on a rental basis, for example doing a gap test with Flightscope or figuring out launch angles, spin rates etc.
    I had toyed with the idea of buying a Flightscope or GC2/HMT but its obviously a lot of money for what's essentially a toy/training aid. As a physicist I'm fascinated by these tools and how they can break the long game (and even putting!) down into a set of tangible numbers that you need to keep in a certain range and the few times I've used them I've loved being able to relate swing thoughts to an actual numerical change.

Plenty of "deals" out there on The Trackman Combine Test, The quiet days of the week are cheaper than the busier days

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

charlieIRL wrote: »

+ 1 to this.
    In isolation the numbers are essentially useless without the expertise to intrepret them and relate those numbers to an individuals swing.
    In saying that, I'd say there are plenty of guys out there looking for shortcuts to a better swing and would be only too happy to part with their hard earned in a false belief that the numbers on the screen are all that matters, so yea go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 BorderGap

There was a company a few years ago based in ParkWest, Dublin, who ran a promotion on Groupon or some of those sites selling Putting Lessons, during the lesson they videoed your putting swing and provided you with numerous stats on swing path, impact etc. I found it useful, and they said they were very busy, but I think they closed down as I looked a few months ago but couldn't find them.

Advertisement