Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking to apply for Driving License

Options
  • 29-03-2015 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello, I'm currently thinking of applying for my learner license but am confused. I need to have a fully licensed driver to accompany me in the car for the entire time I'm in the L plate stage.
    I have no one that I can ask to accompany me in the car for those 6 months, so how am I supposed to get practice driving in those 6 months beyond the 12 mandatory lessons? And what's the point of making me wait 6 months without driving before being able to apply for the full license if I can't practice driving?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Avenym wrote: »
    I have no one that I can ask to accompany me in the car for those 6 months, so how am I supposed to get practice driving in those 6 months beyond the 12 mandatory lessons? And what's the point of making me wait 6 months without driving before being able to apply for the full license if I can't practice driving?

Pay for more lessons, the 12 is a minimum not a maximum, or make a friend who can accompany you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭sjb25

Hello, I'm currently thinking of applying for my learner license but am confused. I need to have a fully licensed driver to accompany me in the car for the entire time I'm in the L plate stage.

That's the law as a learner driver you must be accompanied by a full licence holder also that person must hold a full licence for over a year I think it is or if caught you will may well be fined and get penalty points aswell so if you have nobody to go driving with you then you're only option is to get more lessons than the 12 really

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Avenym

Throwing money at the problem isn't an option for me, as for making friends, I suffer from anxiety and depression I don't get to go out and make new friends like that. The friends I have don't drive. I never intended to drive but situation's have changed leaving me without much in the way of choice in the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭sjb25

Throwing money at the problem isn't an option for me, as for making friends, I suffer from anxiety and depression I don't get to go out and make new friends like that. The friends I have don't drive. I never intended to drive but situation's have changed leaving me without much in the way of choice in the matter.

You have no choice if you want to do it legally you can take the car out on your own and get stopped you may get the fine and penalty point

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Conchy

If you cant afford lessons how will you afford the insurance?

• Advertisement

Conchy wrote: »
    If you cant afford lessons how will you afford the insurance?

I can afford the 12 lessons, because I can budget for it, I will be able to afford the insurance because again I will budget for it. This is going to take time, Time is not on my side.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

It doesn't have to be a friend. Do you have a relation who could go out with you. Or a work colleague who would appreciate a lift to/from work? Or a neighbour who would appreciate a lift to the shops/hospital? There are a lot of people who don't run a car any more, but they still have a license & would be qualified to be your accompanying driver.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be a friend. Do you have a relation who could go out with you. Or a work colleague who would appreciate a lift to/from work? Or a neighbour who would appreciate a lift to the shops/hospital? There are a lot of people who don't run a car any more, but they still have a license & would be qualified to be your accompanying driver.

Thanks, I hadn't thought about neighbours, new to the area I'm in, but I think I have someone that I can ask for that. Cheers for a useful answer.

Advertisement