Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling car to UK buyer

Options
  • 04-03-2015 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I'm selling my (Irish) car to a UK resident. Do I just get them to sign the Registration Cert as I would with an Irish buyer? There's no place to enter country in the "New Owner Details" section.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Are you sure this isn't a scam? Why is someone from the UK (where cars are much cheaper) trying to buy your Irish car?

If it's a vintage model then it's probably a genuine attempt to buy but if it's a run-of-the-mill secondhand car, you'd want to be on your guard and assume that it's an attempt to relieve you of the car for no payment.

If the prospective buyer says that he lives in the UK and can't visit here to inspect the car but will transfer the money to you via PayPal and send a friend to pick up the car, it is definitely a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

towelly wrote: »
    I'm selling my (Irish) car to a UK resident. Do I just get them to sign the Registration Cert as I would with an Irish buyer? There's no place to enter country in the "New Owner Details" section.

No.
    You hand him your Registration Cert.
    Wise thing to do though, would be to sign with him a small contract of sale stating that you are selling vehicle to him, including your details, his details and car details and date. Two copies for one of each of you, both signed by both.
    That way you have a proof that you sold a car to him. And he has a proof he bought the car from you.

coylemj wrote: »
    Are you sure this isn't a scam? Why is someone from the UK (where cars are much cheaper) trying to buy your Irish car?

No all cars are cheaper. Some are more expensive in UK.
    Also weak Euro to Sterling, means that people from UK might actually find a real good bargain here.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Plus you might get a VRT rebate.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Plus you might get a VRT rebate.

Exactly.
    However this would need cooperation from the buyer, as he would need to forward proof of registration of vehicle in UK so OP could show it up to revenue.
    Otherwise they wouldn't issue him a refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Be careful seller! Don't accept a cheque or draft for an amount over the asking price. This is a scam. You will generally be asked to refund the amount over the asking price after you deposit the cheque or draft. The scammer will claim it was a mistake or for shipping expenses. The cheque will inevitably bounce and you will lose the money the money you have “refunded”.

Or they may pay with a cheque which will bounce and they will have got your car for nothing.

Be careful seller! Don't accept a cheque or draft for an amount over the asking price. This is a scam. You will generally be asked to refund the amount over the asking price after you deposit the cheque or draft. The scammer will claim it was a mistake or for shipping expenses. The cheque will inevitably bounce and you will lose the money the money you have “refunded”.

Or they may pay with a cheque which will bounce and they will have got your car for nothing.

I'd imagine nobody is stupid enough to sell a car to foreign buyer for anything else than just cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

CiniO wrote: »
    I'd imagine nobody is stupid enough to sell a car to foreign buyer for anything else than just cash.

Scammers aren't carrying out these scams for the good of their health.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

What car is this? unless its a large luxobarge that no one wants in Ireland i find it hard to believe anyone in the UK wanting an Irish car.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Cinio, you'd imagine that and so would most of us but the OP has only 7 posts so that's why I (and the other suspicious responders) are telling him to be careful.

There is a scam involving a prospective buyer who replies to ads on donedeal and the like, he claims that he has been looking for that exact model, he will pay the asking price (with no inspection) by Paypal and will send a friend to collect the car as soon as the seller gets confirmation that the money has been paid. What follows is a bogus e-mail from Paypal to the seller, he then hands over the car and by the time he discovers that the e-mail is a fake, the car is gone.

Sounds ludicrous that anyone would fall for it but people who advertise cars on donedeal get those enquiries every day so there are plenty of mugs out there for whom greed overrides what should be natural caution, otherwise the scammers wouldn't be trying it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭towelly

All sorted now, cash in hand, and I have proof that I sold the car to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭pheelay

So assuming that it's a genuine sale now, what's the final step?
    No.

Yes, the new UK owner most likely needs the full cert to import it. How are Shannon notified that the OP is no longer the owner?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

No.
    Wise thing to do though, would be to sign with him a small contract of sale stating that you are selling vehicle to him, including your details, his details and car details and date. Two copies for one of each of you, both signed by both.
    That way you have a proof that you sold a car to him. And he has a proof he bought the car from you.

Great advice,get a photo of his license too

pheelay wrote: »
    So assuming that it's a genuine sale now, what's the final step?

Yes, the new UK owner most likely needs the full cert to import it. How are Shannon notified that the OP is no longer the owner?

OP can ring them and notify them, but from what I remember reading here on boards, they are not really interested, as there isn't a system of deregistration of vehicles in Ireland.
    Also when vehicle is registered in UK, DVLA should send info to Shannon stating that vehicle now is registered in UK. But same story - probably office in Shannon is not going to do anything with it.
    Car reg number is just going to be hanging in their database, and that's it.
    If there is ever any problem associated with that (which is very unlikely), OP has a document confirming he sold the car for export.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

OP can ring them and notify them, but from what I remember reading here on boards, they are not really interested, as there isn't a system of deregistration of vehicles in Ireland.
    Also when vehicle is registered in UK, DVLA should send info to Shannon stating that vehicle now is registered in UK. But same story - probably office in Shannon is not going to do anything with it.
    Car reg number is just going to be hanging in their database, and that's it.
    If there is ever any problem associated with that (which is very unlikely), OP has a document confirming he sold the car for export.

This is the only way for Shannon to officially change the status of the car to 'exported'.
    They cannot (and will not) just change ownership on the strength of a letter from somebody who claims they sold their car to a non-resident.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    This is the only way for Shannon to officially change the status of the car to 'exported'.
    But they won't do it anyway, even after receiving info from DVLA or any other car registration authority in EU.

They cannot (and will not) just change ownership on the strength of a letter from somebody who claims they sold their car to a non-resident.

I agree. They can not and should not change vehicle status to exported (not registered in Ireland) on the strength of a letter from Paddy saying that he sold vehicle to John from London.
    But if Paddy attaches a copy of a contract I mentioned above, where it clearly says that he sold vehicle to John on certain date, then why shouldn't they?

What many countries in EU do as well, is to provide possibility to deregister a vehicle prior to sale to foreign person.
    F.e. Helmut in Germany who is willing to sell his car to Polish national, just goes to the office fills in the form, and deregisters a vehicle. He hands down a part of reg cert (there's two) and gives back vehicle number plates.
    Since that moment vehicle is registered nowhere and can not be used anywhere on the road. Polish Paweł then comes up to pick up a car with a towing truck. He takes other part of reg cert from Helmut and bring the car to Poland where he registers it. All easy and handy and secure as Helmut doesn't need to worry what will happen with vehicle still registered in his name after he sells it as it's not registered anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

But they won't do it anyway, even after receiving info from DVLA or any other car registration authority in EU.

Yes they will.

Had to officially re-import a car we exported to the North, last year, so there is a system in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I agree. They can not and should not change vehicle status to exported (not registered in Ireland) on the strength of a letter from Paddy saying that he sold vehicle to John from London.
    But if Paddy attaches a copy of a contract I mentioned above, where it clearly says that he sold vehicle to John on certain date, then why shouldn't they?

What many countries in EU do as well, is to provide possibility to deregister a vehicle prior to sale to foreign person.
    F.e. Helmut in Germany who is willing to sell his car to Polish national, just goes to the office fills in the form, and deregisters a vehicle. He hands down a part of reg cert (there's two) and gives back vehicle number plates.
    Since that moment vehicle is registered nowhere and can not be used anywhere on the road. Polish Paweł then comes up to pick up a car with a towing truck. He takes other part of reg cert from Helmut and bring the car to Poland where he registers it. All easy and handy and secure as Helmut doesn't need to worry what will happen with vehicle still registered in his name after he sells it as it's not registered anymore.
    All sound, and the way it should be here. But this is Ireland and there are no procedures for selling cars to foreigners.
    I sold two of my cars to buyers from the UK and Netherlands years ago, handed over the VR Certificates to new owners and never notified Shannon, as they do not care.

R.O.R wrote: »
    Yes they will.

Had to officially re-import a car we exported to the North, last year, so there is a system in place.

So you reimported a car which was previously exported to the north.
    Did you try tax and NCT it and then found out it wasn't on the system and you had to do NCT inspection, etc?

Advertisement