Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Subaru Legacy '05 - '09 - Petrol Consumption

• 03-03-2015 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking to see if anyone owns one of them and can advise what sort of fuel consumption you get from it?

I've been looking around and seen some Automatic gear box and manual?

Is there much of the difference between two of them in relation to the fuel consumption?

Mainly will be driving around city.

Currently drive old ('00) BMW 318i so i would imagine the consumption would be similar as the engine sizes are pretty same, but subaru is 4 wheel drive...

If anyone have any experience with Legacy please let me know.

Have you had any other issues with them?

Darius

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,711 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Subaru stopped selling petrol engined Legacys / Imprezas etc. in Ireland a few years ago because the high emissions meant they would be overpriced (high emissions means high VRT, so high list price and high motor tax)

high emissions = high fuel consumption

If you'd get 25-30mpg in your 2WD BMW around Dublin, I'd expect less than 20MPG in the heavier, thirstier and 4WD Legacy, particularly automatics

Wouldn't stop me buying one though, unless you do a big mileage. Petrol legacies are very good value for money to buy. Even if you did big miles, you could research converting to LPG...

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dariukas

I wouldn't be doing that many miles so don't believe LPG would pay off for me in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

The 2.5's look like a good cheap option.

Considered one as a daily when i wanted a decent 3k car, power per litre is poor though in fairness, a 2 litre turbo one would have been the business though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

3l petrol auto 05

get around 10l per 100km on NZ's 91 petrol.

autobox is hopeless, other than that it's a nice car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭walus

I had a 2004 2.0 petrol manual Legacy. Great car to drive and very reasonable on petrol too. I was getting about 27-28 mpg for around town driving and about 32-34 for Cork-Dublin and back sort of drive (rather fast drive I should say). I would not recommend automatic with a 2.0L engine - 2.5L is more suited for that kind of transmission.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

There's very little difference between the 2 litre and 2.5 in the Legacy. They dropped the 2.5 later and just modified the 2 litre to produce similar power. I don't remember the exact details, but they modified the 2.5 bore down to 2 litre or something weird like that, which meant the 2 litre in higher power form turned out to be even slightly less economical than the 2.5.
    They're still a very decent car though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭walus

I would avoid the 2.0 165 bhp legacys (post face lift models) as most of them struggle with hesitation between 2-3k that no one seems to be able to cure.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,711 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

walus wrote: »
    I would avoid the 2.0 165 bhp legacys (post face lift models) as most of them struggle with hesitation between 2-3k that no one seems to be able to cure.

You can't blame Subaru for that. It would be the same in any small normally breathing 4 cylinder engine in a heavy car :p

Either add one or more turbos or just add cylinders and increase the displacement (my preference). Problem solved :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dariukas

Thank you for all the input, from what i gather avoid Automatic unless it's turbo...

Had my eye on automatic, guess back to the drawing board! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Dariukas wrote: »
    Thank you for all the input, from what i gather avoid Automatic unless it's turbo...

Had my eye on automatic, guess back to the drawing board! :)
    I wouldn't ignore the comfort of the automatic transmission. I used to drive an early 2l automatic Legacy. Great car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Had a 2.5 auto estate, and I easily got 30mpg mixed driving. Really loved that car and regret getting rid of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Had a 2.5 auto estate, and I easily got 30mpg mixed driving. Really loved that car and regret getting rid of it.
    I was getting about 31 mpg in total average throughout my ownership of the car. It was a 1995 Estate Brighton model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

2006 2.5 Auto Saloon getting average of 30mpg. Tax €1080.00 I've had it since 2007. Lovely car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement