Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 Cooking Club Week 8: Burrito Bowls

Options
  • 26-02-2015 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭

Mexican is possibly my favourite food. Burrito Bowls would be my favourite. I have came across a few recipes and have adapted my own.

There are loads of variations to this. Me, being my usual unprepared self, panicked and forgot a few ingredients so adapted it slightly.

I had no garlic, no chilli powder, canned tomatoes or cumin so had to change my recipe slightly. Instead i used garlic powder, paprika, fresh tomatoes (which kinda worked a little better) and actual chillies.

I scaled it down and made one huge portion last night which was not finished.

This makes 4-5 decent sized burrito bowls

Ingredients:
    • 500g mince
    • 1 red onion diced
    • 1 red pepper diced
    • 200g uncooked rice...very important its uncooked
    • 1 tin diced tomatoes, drained
    • 150g kidney beans or black beans (optional)
    • 1 clove of garlic minced (i used 1 tsp garlic powder)
    • 1/2 tsp chilli powder (i shaved strips off a chilli and minced it with a knife)
    • 1 tsp cumin (i used paprika instead....would recommend adding paprika as well)
    • 450ml veg stock
    • Salt
    • Pepper

To finish:
    diced green onions
    grated cheese (i used monterey jack cheese)
    diced fresh tomatoes
    sour cream
    guacamole

Method:
    • Sautee the onions and pepper until they go soft.
    • Then brown your mince.
    • Season with Salt and Pepper
    • Push this all to the side and add your uncooked rice.
    • Fry off your uncooked rice until it starts to brown
    • Next add your spices, tomatoes and stock
    • Bring to a boil and simmer
    • Cover the pan and let slow cook for 20 mins or until the rice is cooked.
    • When it is cooked, sprinkle cheese on top and let it melt.
    • Plate up and dress with your sour cream and guacamole.

You can easily put these into wraps and serve with the following sweet corn salsa:
    • Sweet corn
    • roasted pepper
    • diced onions
    • lime juice
    • corriander
    • jalepeno pepper

Dice everything and mix in a bowl with lime juice.

You can make this with chicken just brown the chicken and use chicken stock instead.

Please excuse the pictures, i added way too much stock making this the other night. Its not as disgusting as my pictures look i swear! :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Oh my God I'm so excited to try this

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Had this for dinner this evening, thanks for the recipe Herisson, it's absolutely gorgeous!

Served it with a homemade guacamole that I threw together while it was simmering away and garnished with coriander, chilli, diced onion and lime juice.

Went down a treat, will definitely be making this one again

7be886da-f6e1-4d05-a925-ed9a8da237d6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Had this for dinner this evening, thanks for the recipe Herisson, it's absolutely gorgeous!

Served it with a homemade guacamole that I threw together while it was simmering away and garnished with coriander, chilli, diced onion and lime juice.

Went down a treat, will definitely be making this one again

7be886da-f6e1-4d05-a925-ed9a8da237d6.jpg

That looks delicious.

Glad you enjoyed it :)

Advertisement