Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The General Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,798 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

What manner of chillies were they? I never wear gloves when chopping, but have never had any reaction on my fingers. Eyes, nostrils, & *ahem* other bits - yes. But fingers - never.

Wash your hands again gently with warm soapy water & rinse well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I made bolognese today and put in five fresh chilies, I de-seeded and chopped them without using gloves and now my fingers are burning. I've a cold cloth wrapped around them. Any ideas how I can stop the burning? Fingers are bright red too.

A few tips from my late granny:

1. Rub your hands in a bowl of raw rice for a few minutes, or until the burning sensation is almost gone, then wash your hands with warm water.

2. Rub your hands in rock salt mixed with a bit of water.

3. This, I've tried & hurts like hell, she swore by - soak your hands in warm water. I won't recommend this at all. Worse than childbirth. In fact I might as well scrap tip #3.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

I made bolognese today and put in five fresh chilies, I de-seeded and chopped them without using gloves and now my fingers are burning. I've a cold cloth wrapped around them. Any ideas how I can stop the burning? Fingers are bright red too.

Maybe dip in natural yogurt....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

What manner of chillies were they? I never wear gloves when chopping, but have never had any reaction on my fingers. Eyes, nostrils, & *ahem* other bits - yes. But fingers - never.

Wash your hands again gently with warm soapy water & rinse well.
    There were two types, one was a mixed tub of hot chilli peppers from Lidl and the other was a pack of mixed chilies from Dunnes which had three chilies in it.
    Mrs Fox wrote: »
    A few tips from my late granny:

1. Rub your hands in a bowl of raw rice for a few minutes, or until the burning sensation is almost gone, then wash your hands with warm water.

2. Rub your hands in rock salt mixed with a bit of water.

3. This, I've tried & hurts like hell, she swore by - soak your hands in warm water. I won't recommend this at all. Worse than childbirth. In fact I might as well scrap tip #3.
    Tried tips #1 and #2 after reading your post and no joy. I tried rubbing coconut oil on my hands and ;leaving it on for ten mins and nothing. Soaked my fingers in beer and nothing.

I went to bed and had to get up again with the burning, jesus is it horrific.

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Maybe dip in natural yogurt....
    I don't have any. Just have these ones http://www.mullerquaker.com/products/greekcorner/greek-honeyed-apricot-yogurt

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I have extremely sensitive skin when it comes to chills. My skin burns for days after chopping them, so you might be afflicted like I am. Rubbing your hands on metal is supposed to help (like a kitchen tap). It helps me temporarily, but the heat comes back.

Faith wrote: »
    I have extremely sensitive skin when it comes to chills. My skin burns for days after chopping them, so you might be afflicted like I am. Rubbing your hands on metal is supposed to help (like a kitchen tap). It helps me temporarily, but the heat comes back.
    How do you cope for the few days? Jesus I am crying with the pain of this. I have never known anything like it, it is awful.

I've done the metal thing, soaked my hands in milk, rubbed olive oil on and rinsed off gently, tried antisan (on my mother's recommendation) and it made them burn instantly, I've tried toothpaste and sudocream and nothing.

I'd nearly say this is worse than burning a finger on the hob or oven or something.

Well, I experience a relatively mild but persistent tingle. It doesn't burn that badly unless I touch a more sensitive area like my eyes. Also I only ever use red chills - if you're using mixed chilis, it's likely you were cutting some seriously hot ones which is why it's worse. Have you got any anti-histamines? They might help if it's that bad*.

*Please note that this is in no way to be construed as medical advice. Consult with your doctor before taking any new medications and so on.

God love you. I hadn't realised it was that bad. If the burning persists - consult a medical professional.

tHB

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That sounds awful SB, I'd phone a pharmacist. They'll either have advice or tell you if you need to see a doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

The volatile chemicals that cause chilli burn are not water soluble, so you need to use something to breakdown the oils that are causing the burning sensation. Rubbing alcohol or vodka are useful for removing chilli burn. You can also try washing your fingers in a strong solution of washing powder detergent and warm water. Then use Aloe Vera or yoghurt or milk to help calm the burning.

Good luck, it sounds awful. A&E if it gets unbearable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Minder wrote: »
    The volatile chemicals that cause chilli burn are not water soluble, so you need to use something to breakdown the oils that are causing the burning sensation. Rubbing alcohol or vodka are useful for removing chilli burn. You can also try washing your fingers in a strong solution of washing powder detergent and warm water. Then use Aloe Vera or yoghurt or milk to help calm the burning.

Good luck, it sounds awful. A&E if it gets unbearable?
    Well if it's the presence of oil that's the problem, would a good washing up liquid do the trick? Apparently they use washing up liquid to clean sea birds that have been caught up in oil spills at sea. It's supposed to be the best thing to breakdown oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Washing up liquid or solution of persil/daz with warm water at 30% and a soft nail brush.

Thanks so much everyone, I ended up going to bed with a cold wet cloth wrapped around my hands and another dry towel wrapped around the outside so as not to wet/dampen the bedclothes.

Burning has stopped now but my finger tips are still a bit sore and sensitive, they're bright red still and there's like little white "cracks" on the skin.

I'm going into the pharmacy in a little while and I'll see what they say. Never again will I touch chili without any gloves on me. I've never experienced anything like it. Definitely burning a finger on the hob, oven, pot etc is much less sore than the burning from chilies, and surprisingly, the bolognese isn't even remotely spicy, not a kick from it at all! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Thanks so much everyone, I ended up going to bed with a cold wet cloth wrapped around my hands and another dry towel wrapped around the outside so as not to wet/dampen the bedclothes.

Burning has stopped now but my finger tips are still a bit sore and sensitive, they're bright red still and there's like little white "cracks" on the skin.

I'm going into the pharmacy in a little while and I'll see what they say. Never again will I touch chili without any gloves on me. I've never experienced anything like it. Definitely burning a finger on the hob, oven, pot etc is much less sore than the burning from chilies, and surprisingly, the bolognese isn't even remotely spicy, not a kick from it at all! :mad:

Good to hear things improved but I would go to the pharmacy straight away.

Best thing in my opinion for spicy Bolognese is chilli flakes in a jar.

I'm actually quite surprised that it's possible to take such a severe reaction to cut chillies on your hand.

I remember seeing a documentary (could've been Mythbusters) and they were saying that the active ingredient in chillies Capsaicin doesn't actually burn in the normal sense, i.e. it's not like an acid. It's more to do with the fact that the Capsaicin receptors in the mouth are similar to the same receptors that detect heat thereby giving you that burning sensation without any actual damage being done.
    One of the experiments was putting pure Capsaicin oil on a piece of meat and seeing if it did any damage to the cell structure, which it didn't seem to.

All this doesn't seem to make sense given your experience though. By the sounds of it you've actually experienced damage to your finger tips, but that could be down to all the home remedies. You should definitely go and get it checked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I'm actually quite surprised that it's possible to take such a severe reaction to cut chillies on your hand.

I remember seeing a documentary (could've been Mythbusters) and they were saying that the active ingredient in chillies Capsaicin doesn't actually burn in the normal sense, i.e. it's not like an acid. It's more to do with the fact that the Capsaicin receptors in the mouth are similar to the same receptors that detect heat thereby giving you that burning sensation without any actual damage being done.
    One of the experiments was putting pure Capsaicin oil on a piece of meat and seeing if it did any damage to the cell structure, which it didn't seem to.

All this doesn't seem to make sense given your experience though. By the sounds of it you've actually experienced damage to your finger tips, but that could be down to all the home remedies. You should definitely go and get it checked out.

I've had similar 'burns' from chillies once, where the skin on my fingertips turned white and very very dry. The top layer of skin on the fingertips actually flaked off after a couple of weeks, and the uncomfortable itchy burning sensation lasted for days. I was kind of shocked as I've chopped alot of chillies in my time and never had such a reaction, and like the other poster I was surprised to find the food I'd been cooking (a chilli jam) wasn't even particularly hot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Hiya,

That sounds awful. Hope you recover soon :)

Loire.

Thanks everyone, I spoke to the pharmacist and he said to put olive oil on my hands and wear plastic gloves and leave it on for an hour and gently rinse it off and use a cooling cream/gel or something, will take a few days but my fingers should be OK and shouldn't blister.

Thanks so much to everyone for your advice/help/tips, I really appreciate it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Thanks everyone, I spoke to the pharmacist and he said to put olive oil on my hands and wear plastic gloves and leave it on for an hour and gently rinse it off and use a cooling cream/gel or something, will take a few days but my fingers should be OK and shouldn't blister.

Thanks so much to everyone for your advice/help/tips, I really appreciate it!

I am not a fan of chillis so rarely chop them but will definetly wear gloves from now on.

Hope you hand gets better. Thank god you did not eat the chilli raw. I would hate to think what it would do to the inside of your mouth.

• Advertisement

I feel awful for you, StripedBoxers. You must have very delicate sensitive skin. Hope the pharmacist gave you something to ease the pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I made chili sauce using 15 chilis a few years ago and I'll never do it bare handed again! Only thing that helped was leaving my hands in alcohol, whiskey and rum helped, vodka didn't (who knows why not?!) and then in milk and switching between them. The skin on my hands was dry and sore for months after, especially the skin between my knuckles on my hands and fingers. I ended up getting a topical treatment for it from my doctor. I bought a box of latex gloves since then and I've been using them since, sooo worth the money. I don't envy you, it really is a horrible pain. Hope you're feeling better soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Reckon Jamie's going to win MasterChef The Professionals! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Help!!
    Iv made baileys cheesecake for ourselves and another one for the in laws and have the cream/ cream cheese/ baileys/ icing sugar mix sitting in a bowl in the fridge (haven't put it on top of the biscuit base yet) but it hasn't set.
    I'm afraid if I whisk it again it'll turn the cream to butter. Could be too much baileys in it but any ideas as to how to get it to set more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

heldel00 wrote: »
    Help!!
    Iv made baileys cheesecake for ourselves and another one for the in laws and have the cream/ cream cheese/ baileys/ icing sugar mix sitting in a bowl in the fridge (haven't put it on top of the biscuit base yet) but it hasn't set.
    I'm afraid if I whisk it again it'll turn the cream to butter. Could be too much baileys in it but any ideas as to how to get it to set more?

Put some of the base in the bottom of a glass and top with a spoonful of the mix, maybe? Then everyone can have an individual cheesecake and you can pretend it was supposed to be like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Translation anyone ????

Got these chillies today but cant figure out if they are OMG hot or quite mild.
    Any ideas people ???

166F5842A3844A54BDD5EBA762ECE493-0000356410-0003707234-00500L-D8C8E7F285CB4C6AB2063DA75943CF5A.jpg

2F66270BBE5B4AE68A9DF3EB39A414F2-0000356410-0003707233-00500L-B1121848C3A94DB581C3E9B26102B007.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

kylith wrote: »
    Put some of the base in the bottom of a glass and top with a spoonful of the mix, maybe? Then everyone can have an individual cheesecake and you can pretend it was supposed to be like that.

Fantastic idea. Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Just discovered honey is not vegan friendly!!! Luckily I bought a bottle of fructose a few months ago.
    I will not be defeated by this vegan curse but I now understand why chefs hate them. :rolleyes:

WTF? Cos it's bee wee or something?

Mod note: Split from the Christmas Dinner thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

It's probably the cream cheese that's causing it not to set. Philadelphia have withdrawn those blocks that you used to be able to buy and meddled with the formula in the tub stuff so the fat content is lower. Lots of people are having issues with cream cheese icing etc.

• Advertisement

Dubl07 wrote: »
    WTF? Cos it's bee wee or something?

I think the objection is to taking the honey from the bees. For one, because it belongs to the bees, and for two, because bees occasionally get squished during the collection process.

I can't say it moves me, personally, but apparently vegans feel strongly about it!

Thanks DB :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Just discovered honey is not vegan friendly!!! Luckily I bought a bottle of fructose a few months ago.
    I will not be defeated by this vegan curse but I now understand why chefs hate them. :rolleyes:

Is the vegan you're cooking for definitely anti-honey? Not all vegans are against it!

I think the objection is to taking the honey from the bees. For one, because it belongs to the bees, and for two, because bees occasionally get squished during the collection process.

I can't say it moves me, personally, but apparently vegans feel strongly about it!

Thanks DB :)

Wonder how the kids will react when I break it to them that they've been having squished bees in their porridge every morning?

I once met a vegan who refused to use honey and oatmeal shampoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I've also heard the word "enslavement" used. Many vegans don't wear silk for similar reasons.

I've also heard the word "enslavement" used. Many vegans don't wear silk for similar reasons.

:eek:

But bees will make honey and the relevant insects will still make silk, even if humans never touched it. They're not being forced to make it for our benefit.

I'll honestly never understand veganism :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

There are different types of silk. The most common harvest method kills the larvae in the silk cocoon so I can understand a vegans dislike of the product. It's either dried in the sun or boiled to kill the worm. 'Non violent silk' allows the worm to leave before harvesting takes place. Ahimsa silk perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Or eat figs, because fig pollination requires the death of a wasp.

I have been made promise not to tell the vegan of my acquaintance that. Apparently she loves figs and the guilt would be crushing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Bee wee

hahahahahahaha love it :D

Tilly wrote: »
    Bee wee

hahahahahahaha love it :D

It's actual bee vomit. Doesn't sound as cute though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

My first ever Christmas cake.

Rough and ready but hopefully delicious! :pac:

26v7d.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Translation anyone ????

Got these chillies today but cant figure out if they are OMG hot or quite mild.
    Any ideas people ???

The text looks like thai, so they are probably dried bird's eye chilis which are pretty danged hot. :)

B0jangles wrote: »
    The text looks like thai, so they are probably dried bird's eye chilis which are pretty danged hot. :)

That was my best guess too.

My first ever Christmas cake.

Rough and ready but hopefully delicious! :pac:
    Rough & ready my ass. Well-executed minimalist style in my book. It looks great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Kat1170

B0jangles wrote: »
    That was my best guess too.

Yeah, looked Thai, Vietnamese that area of the world. Making a big curry for family get together St S. Day so might lean towards caution and use them for a more dedicated small group in the New year :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

kylith wrote: »
    Or eat figs, because fig pollination requires the death of a wasp.

I have been made promise not to tell the vegan of my acquaintance that. Apparently she loves figs and the guilt would be crushing.

Anything ending with the death of wasps is good in my book!

How does this happen? Sounds really interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Anything ending with the death of wasps is good in my book!

How does this happen? Sounds really interesting!

I looked it up and it seems like the wasps lay eggs in the figs and then the wasps pollinate the fig trees. However, sometimes it seems the wasps don't pollinate the fig trees but lay the eggs so the fig tree aborts their fruit thus killing all the wasps.

Bored_lad wrote: »
    I looked it up and it seems like the wasps lay eggs in the figs and then the wasps pollinate the fig trees. However, sometimes it seems the wasps don't pollinate the fig trees but lay the eggs so the fig tree aborts their fruit thus killing all the wasps.

Well if that's the reason why some vegans don't eat figs well they are idiots.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Rough & ready my ass. Well-executed minimalist style in my book. It looks great!

Thanks tHB. :)

It was delicious...I am amazed. I was worried about it as I've never made one before and it's been maturing for 6 weeks. We're not big fruitcake fans, used to our mothers' dried up offerings. This was very moist, and rich with whiskey and amaretto, with just a thin layer of soft marzipan and royal icing. Half of the cake got scoffed yesterday with a cuppa at tea-time so I was completely chuffed!

surprisingly, the bolognese isn't even remotely spicy, not a kick from it at all! :mad:
    Quick update: I reheated some of the bolognese from this batch on Xmas eve and the heat was unreal. I ended up having two spoon fulls and binning the rest cos I wasn't taking a chance on heartburn, not after the previous few days.

Any ideas/tips on how I could cool it down so its not as hot when I reheat some next?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,156 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Any ideas/tips on how I could cool it down so its not as hot when I reheat some next?

Make another batch (without chillies) and mix them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement