Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

anyoone still in eve

Options
  • 21-12-2014 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

Ok ive been eve lurker for over a decade now,always used to play trials for 3 weeks or so,but would always come back to check on.
    Early this year i pulled a plug and bought 3months time plus couple plex later on.

And oh boy this game is in its own league,the difficulty of understanding navigation around systems,avoiding being killed etc,its pure free for all sandbox,nothing is impossible in the game.

so anyway in 3 months time i managed to develop most skills for spec ops shuttle to do exploration,since this is only aspect of game where im good at,if theres something to be found,its minutes before i lock and empty containers.

Anyway fast forward was with couple corps,that split,became inactive and other troubles that follow game when people don't communicate.

Eventually went for sisters of eve exploration ships to get blown over and over again,thus spending all isk in couple days,messing in null sec-being caught in traps or just lurkers waiting for me to de cloak.

Anyway would like to know whats the situation with recent upgrades and new patches,is game getting any balance,since its all nice but getting blown up with 1bill isk ships over and over,just because there is someone always lurking and waiting for you to make a mistake.

I know i could stay safe in 0.5 sec but loot from such areas are sometimes not worth time spent looking for it.

Also i lack in communications,dont use mic so most i had was someone looking after me and helping with locating relics or whatever,just to see get the f out,and boom.

As said i followed this game for nearly 10y,and kept returning to it year after year,but having now real life experience in it,it seems like either play safe and dont leave high sec,or risk a lot and most likely die,just by warping in some trap.

Basically looking for excuse here to come back to game again,also mechanics are driving me nuts,planet exploration,building custom star bases and so on,its like evolving creature where every part of the game needs its own wiki page just to mount some item,then wait days for skills to develop to see that you need another 1-2 skills to mount some protection and so on.

It seems i did learn the game but giving after 3 months and taking break im back to 0 again,as i used to keep notes of items that i would need to mount onto ship,without trying to go as deep as wiki searching for every question,which would appear every few minutes when upgrade would be needed or advise.

Its like i feel im perfect fish for any older sharks out there,to get killed at every opportunity,and while being in corp helps,and been in quite few good ones,eventually people dont have time/time zone stuff,have their own missions to run,and basic mining is just digging endesly for scraps to share in between,thus usually spending more time just helping some corp and getting,some information at best that is usually overwhelming,like plan your trips etc,monitor kill sectors etc,but when doing 20 jumps its really like working in real life,except here one single mistake gets you killed and can run into ground with isk and tech loosing it.

Well i think this sums it up ,needed to went a bit,but not sure if this game is really for me,since ive seen players of 3-5y running for the hills if they see couple pirates appear,basically if your part of huge gang that stays together one can control whole area,until someone pulls bigger team and start over :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

If you want to Eve with no experience, join Brave Newbies. They recently entered null and took sovereignty with 15000 other newbies.

They'll give you effective fittings that won't break the bank, will get you PvP experience, help with ratting, and are based near the 2nd biggest trade hub in the game with jump bridges to get you from staging to 1 jump from high sec.

Best place to learn IMO is with other people - the genre is after all massively MULTIplayer, not single.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Yeah heard of them reading comments under this is eve video made by fans.
    That sorta reminded me the thrill when i used to roam in below null sec,and some pirate chasing me trough 5 systems non stop :pac:

hell even met some guy that gave me 200mil for nothing,since scamming is huge part of game,told him to feck off as the rest scammers,but then see money poured in for free.Asked wth guy tells me buys some expensive implants brings over to another system and makes billions :confused:

That said,pvp is not my real strength,especially when you run into someone who has double firing power and gets you locked,although my goal was to get proper pvp ship but with all skills needed i turned towards exploration,its feel good experience when your below -0.3 and find some relic site in empty system,but when luck runs out and your being blown up 3-4 times a day and like that for couple days it gets to you.

All this said given opportunities this game basically has no laws or limits you can be or do whatever you want in it,might give it a shot but need serious discount to even consider going back,since ccp like to throw promotions on plex and monthly discounts its always guessing game when is the best chance to go back.looking at collectors edition 75e seems good price,but as in another post missed even better deal :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Currently trying to get back into it. as joining and having no real direction meant i ended up doing nothing.

Personally i am not suited to large scale corps i much prefer smaller type for learning.

Right now i want to try my hand at exploring so looking for a corp that does that and will take i from there

went and bought months subscription,lucky enough had some funds still to get me back onto exploration.Recent updates seem not made much difference,layout is a bit upgraded,but i think for the better.

As corps go,when i started i was lucky enough to be in couple small ones,that actually thought me most things.

As for corps-small ones seem better then large scale,since people tend to help out much more,and there isn't any strict timetables.

If one is in pvp then yes large corps are way to go,but since ive yet have to have a single fight,exploration is enough for now,as pvp is a bit useless when fighting for no reason.

but with that in mind its mmo sandbox so plenty to choose what one wants to do.

Only thing before i used to roam into nul sec without a blink now im afraid even to pass 0.4 let alone explore it,where before in some days id make 200mill in couple hours in my 20mill helios :o was a vaster thou,since gave much of stuff away or spent on expensive implants and stuff.

I've gone full on covert ops for exploring , planning to head past 0.5 to see stuff.

Really want to see the eve gate ect, lots to do :)

If you want someone to chat to ping me your ingame name.

• Advertisement

Calhoun wrote: »
    I've gone full on covert ops for exploring , planning to head past 0.5 to see stuff.

Really want to see the eve gate ect, lots to do :)

If you want someone to chat to ping me your ingame name.

might do that once i get myself up to speed ;)

if your going below 0.5 usually i tried to go as deep as -0.2-0.4 as the best loot is there,also have your hack and relic up to lvl5 skills.and its a good idea to go cheap first,as breaking into 0.0 is real gamble,sometimes you can fly in and go as deep as you want ,but trouble is you never know when youll run into someones warp bubble,and even harder to find systems that would be empty completely for enough time to actually hack site once found.As believe me even if theres 1-2ppl in the system once you de cloak they will be there in 1-2 min to get you,and while doing hacking its seconds before ayay to wtf.

Also while i enjoyed my time in the below 0 sec,trouble is you always need to go back to sectors where you can dock,since basically theres little to none stations that will allow you do dock in nulsec,i know theres ways of getting permissions through missions or some paper works etc,but never ventured into it.

its nothing worse then getting 25mill blown into pieces,but worse when you have 60mill on board and ship blown together.
    at the end reward most times is very little compared to effort put in,since most sites dont usually give more then 20 to 50mill and bunch of run down BPs

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I always was a very casual player in eve. Mostly some pre, mining, making moneys etc.
    last time I played I got myself Nightmare and was doing some level 4 missions. Hate the looks of the ship, but it is good ship lol. Problem is you got to scan and watch your every move when flying these bastards. I don't want to get blown by 20 suicide *****! :D
    I was thinking of coming back and finally do some pvp or exploration. I heard they removed penalty of losing your trained skills if killed. Would make me a bit more braver to go out for pvp. I don't mind losing ships, but I don't want lose xp.
    Problem is that I got some games and feck all time to play. On top of that I know that if I will start eve I will abandon all other games, again...
    How are plex prices lately? I heard those went through the roof lately. I might just get plex and try to play some casually when I got time. Still have my nightmare with all stupid expensive mods and 2bill in cash.

Took me about an hour to figure out what happened to my medical clone, was pleasantly surprised when i figured out that was the reason for it (removal of them) .

What has me interested again is the changes to the super capitals and jumping ect, it has unstuck allot of nullsec apparently.

I am also going full on explorer at the moment, been looking to get into a WH corp and explore that way.

I heard they removed penalty of losing your trained skills if killed. Would make me a bit more braver to go out for pvp. I don't mind losing ships, but I don't want lose xp.

You only ever lost sp if you hadn't updated your death clone. Except if you lost T3 cruiser, in which case you lost a related subsystem.

If you want cheap PvP, grab a few atrons and join Brave Newbies - the BNI fit costs <1 million isk. If you don't want to join an alliance, check out Spectre Fleet. - they do public NPSI roams.

Forgot how consuming this game is.Another day went below 0.5 to search for data and relic sites,and just to find 2 in over 2h of game play over 2mill in total,so not much return,but thats just in 0.3 sectors.

anyway giving it a bit of rest at the moment,since work and everything else is getting in the way,so far happy to have not been killed.

• Advertisement

was inty scout for a roam in my crow, came across an astero sitting at zero on a gate. Told everyone to stay on the other side, that I was going to force him through if he didn't aggress. Solo killed him. Totes awky.

Was strange in that he launched drones at the end, so he was obviously online. He had 2 stabs fitted - maybe he was trying to warp off and was wondering why nothing happened? (my crow had a point and a scram).

^^ lucky enough,was looking for a way to get into 0.0,so did some research on youtube and found nice video with explanations and all,that best way is to find gates that are going from 0.5-0.3 and until 0.0 and below is reached.as otherwise if you look into map all high sec gates that lead to 0.0 are basically battle zones with 20 to 100 kills per /24h.

So my issue is that getting to 0.0 isnt hard,but then again doing 20+ jumps scanning and usually looking for empty systems to do hacks takes around 2-4 hours,but eventually you are forced to comeback into high sec with all the loot,and while i could fly asteros-if im correct or another sister eve ship,its close to half bill in fits and ship to lose if run into bad crowd.

of course corp would be a lot of help with muscle behind,but who would want to drag into 20jumps while you do scans etc,while others have to watch your back and hope you find something in return :cool: given time to find secure and get out eventually,since i don't think there's stations that let you dock below 0.0 if im correct.

There are NPC stations in null that will allow you to dock.

Just don't fly what you can't afford to lose. That is the only thing you need to remember. Meta 4/T2 modules are all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I need to buy a laptop before I resub EVE. I got a beasty gaming pc, but I have feck all time to play on it. When I come back from work I just drop in bed and have Netflix on as I could not be ****ed sitting in office chair etc.

Something like gtx 840m should have enough power to run it at least on low.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

What was the name of the shooter that came out on ps3 in 2012 that was connected to eve? Is that still going?

Dust and i have no idea, i believe they are making a version for the pc.

Took the plunge lastnight and moved into my WH home. Got my buzzard for exploring, a few ventures for gas mining and a drake for anything nasty.

Will need to bring in something for defense tonight but took me hours to haul stuff in as i had to do it in a badger ect.

Didnt know there was some way to play eve at all on console,since game mechanics seems too advanced to implement it in any other game.

As for laptop-many ppl play on laptops and usually are happy,graphics sucks but even some with good pcs prefer to play on low graphics to get better frame rate,specially when lots of action involved.

My pc sucks,since it seen last format 2y ago and has barelly any space left out of 2tb hard drives,that is real pain in the a$$ since i have these freeze ups out of nowhere once or twice every day,that cant be real nuisance-ssd would be nice in the future :)

Also since everyone throwing in these ship slang's,can anyone suggest is there,suitable t2 or whatever battle cruiser worth considering for diversifying,to make it battle ship but still able to explore,on Gallente side ?

Since ive started eve first 3-4 months i was grinding all skills towards mining then swichted towards exploration and basically little to none trained towards combat,and dont even know what types of weapons are best since theres tons to choose from heavy missiles lasers etc.

So far since coming back managed to sneak into below 0.5 down to 0.2 but after 4-5h of work results were barely 10mill,now training skills towards dominix or megathron,but for that ill def will need to get plex.

As most low sec rats usually have crap ships,lurkers most times attack alone so having opportunity to survive i think best bet would be to have ship that would be able to take good damage while eventually managing to get the f out :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I have an Eve craving. May have to resub tonight and spend a few hours losing a few ships.

Nice one, currently based out of a low sec privateer corp :P. You need a hand with anything let me know ill ping you my char name.

• Advertisement

played a good bit of eve couple months back,until some c%nt scammed me out of plex 80mill instead of 800,thing is was nearly broke so no contract,and needed 30 mill-to buy back ship and plex to extend time,so even thou i knew such manipulations were possible but went with private trade,took me a minute to realize that 0 was missing,and person was gone.opened ticket with gms and got told game mechanics and basically you fell for it :cool: so someone had a good day and I went giving away whats left of my loots.
    Since i was explained that unless its game error then fine but if scammed within game then its part of it.

was really pissed off thou since plex was paid in real cash so almost 20e gone,but more angry at ccp really so not even some sort of decision to make it fare,even thou played lots of other mmorpgs and online games over the years and usually if such stuff happened even small server would do something to keep you,or refund.

anyway got flamed on eve forums as an another newbie that got tricked and in a days time got more people following me then over 2 months played :D since i gave it a chance a year back played 3 months then came back again for a month and got plex for extension,but when not playing its easy to forget most of the stuff fast and-my gaming consisted of exploring-3,4h then loot like 100mil at best and on the way back 30 jumps in red zone theres always someone waiting to kill you,rinsed and repeated,where every journey ended always the same any profits would go back to building another setup to make isk for the last.

That said got over it,might be back playing again if manage to get cheap collectors edition or serious monthly cuts on prices.

You weren't the guy that sold a ship to someone for cheap were you?

no went and gave most stuff away in jita to some guy who went saying to f off to all scammers-double your isk etc.then started private chat and gave him 80mill :D at first guy was like wtf then started talking and just made his day.
    Since that also others from forum added me on and offered do do incursion missions or smth like that 100mill isk an h at least,but all my training was done towards exploration in game so 0 pvp skills,lame since everyone speaks pvp is the main game,but not for me really.

Also had experience early in the game like a year ago where some dude after telling him to stop spamming just in home system,dropped me over 100mill as well,told he was trading some rear stuff implants or whatever and basically making a killing on cash-outs,but didn't reveal much more-so yeah its not black and white game,but more scum really then someone genuine,and steep learning curve is hard alone,but to be in corp when you have couple hrs every day here and there isn't really suitable for me,thus end up sticking with people that are scattered or being no use myself-since there's not much you can do in 3h and say 30 jumps around forth and back.

The game has a pvp economy but doesnt have to all be about pvp. You could go missioning which is PVE.

Shouldnt take you to long to skill for it.

yeah done some of those gotten to entry lvl3 before giving up,i know its good isk at lvl4,but it a bit monotonous jump into one level clear,next clear then rinse and repeat.

Where exploration is more like a gamble you still have to watch out on every step,be vary of the system and so,but rewards hacking loot are exciting or finding something worth.

As Ive said before i haven't given up on eve,accounts are stored for ever,just gonna wait for some proper promotional offer before deciding to go back.Since opportunities are almost limitless in eve,but having trained a lot of skills towards t3-and having ques of almost 50+ days id be really just paying for skills to run,and have little to do with current skills before same stuff as before-since having helios tweaked to the top is only good before someone scrambles you or gate camps :) or other 100 ways to die.

Yah i hear you can be boring i have a bit of everything, i have a pvp char, a missioner, and explorer and a trader.

Did you make much money from archeology sites on your explorer?

when i started a year ago fresh,after month of so with getting most exp skills to lvl 3-4 i managed to pull in around 200mill isk on some days,actually in few weeks time it was close to a bill around that time,but i also was in a good corp that thought me some ropes and good advice,so i just gave away most stuff to corpies to expand etc.

Now its easier as well since most WHs contain sites without any sleepers at low grade holes where they appear on even high sec sites in multiples,and in some if hacking skills are good average can be around 50 to 100mill isk,just depends how fast you can scan them down and loot em to move to next one.

trouble is its not a fast way to make is more of a hobby id say,unless one has full T3 setup and can take on at least couple t2s since eve looks big but in reality every corner is being occupied by someone.

low sec isnt to bad except for getting trough major gates-then its usually territory of single corp or so,which depending on times can be quiet for hours and good loot can be made,but when its time to go back,risks run high since few spots to park and even single battleship can ruin all the trip.
    since its easy when its only 3-4 jumps away,but when you have over 40 jumps to make and 10 systems contain couple pirates always waiting and usually they are 2-4y old chars its gamble to avoid warp bubbles or being picked on and tracked over 5 systems.

So while its best done in helios for price reasons of being killed,but if serious money to be made one would need corp with enough space and someone to convo which can be annoying for other party since sometimes you get 10+ sites and usually few at best have the good stuff.Thus any other people would just easily get bored soon.

to answer your question in short wtih skills +4/5 for exploration hacking couple implants and boosts id say 1-2bill isk a month on average 3-4h a day,less if you get lucky,more if you keep getting killed-that would be with a char that is say 3 months old.

Hehe i hear you my guy still has more to train i will probably do some exploration going to see interesting sites like the eve gate.

I did have my main as an explorer but switched him to pvp as the exploration skills lend themselves well to covert ops.

yeah many people do,some even realize that the covert ops skills and exploration better serves at sitting at some relic site and waiting for loot come to you,even thou its somewhat difficult since people are more aware,but youd be amazed at amount of people that do exploration at the same time in same systems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

I haven't been back to EVE for over 12 months, prior to that I was playing since '06. I left the game once the changes were made to Capital ships and the jump ranges as I used to fly caps all the time and basically broke the way I wanted to play. I might revisit the game at a later date but so far haven't been feeling the hunger.

Advertisement