Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle Direct Publishing Anonymity

Options
  • 13-12-2014 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi

Im not sure if this is the correct thread. (mods: feel free to move it)

Im thinking of publishing a book on Kindle Direct Publishing in a pen name, but im worried about losing privacy. So my question is how anonymous is using a pen name on KDP? Would people be able to find out ones real name if they really looked?

Im probably over worrying because i probably wont sell a single book, but i am of a psychological disposition where being anonymous means the world to me.

any insight would be great from those who have already published on KDP or a similar self publishing website

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Neal, KDP don't ask for ID or anything. You can call yourself what you like. I can't think that anyone could trace anything back through normal channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭nealcassidy

i think though ( i could be wrong) you must set up an account under your real name or else you could be done for fraud. having said that you can still use a pen name.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Another thing to consider might be if there was anything of an autobiographical nature in your book that might lead to someone recognising the author. There's always "someone" out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 makehimanoffer

I've had the same concerns recently. I released my first two things on Amazon in my own name foolishly (sadly my own name is quite boring and common) and am thinking of going pen name instead. I feel it also helps in putting what I make out there much more. Also get to write weirder things.

But yeah, from a reg point of view if you're selling the book through KDP you've to give real info and things like that for the submitting account, but you can put whatever Author value on it with no hassle. So if that's what you mean you'll be fine.

Mebuntu wrote: »
    Another thing to consider might be if there was anything of an autobiographical nature in your book that might lead to someone recognising the author. There's always "someone" out there.

thanks. i may change a few things just to be on the safe side

• Advertisement

I've had the same concerns recently. I released my first two things on Amazon in my own name foolishly (sadly my own name is quite boring and common) and am thinking of going pen name instead. I feel it also helps in putting what I make out there much more. Also get to write weirder things.

But yeah, from a reg point of view if you're selling the book through KDP you've to give real info and things like that for the submitting account, but you can put whatever Author value on it with no hassle. So if that's what you mean you'll be fine.

to each their own. i just like being anonymous in life. again im probably over thinking because the book wont sell a dime, but i would hate to be famous. id rather be homeless than famous. thats why i am double checking the anonymity.

may i ask how your book has fared on amazon? are you selling enough to make an income?

Advertisement