Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your best and worst customer service experiences [rant & praise]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Worztron

The number 205 (formerly #5) bus from Cork City. Atrocious. Mostly late.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

GAP online have just done it for me. Ordered a dress on black Friday, to cut a long story short it didn't arrive. They told me to order it again but wouldn't refund me until DHL returned me until the undelivered one (which wasn't on their tracking system) was returned! Now they tell me it's sold out so I'm out of pocket and have no dress. Will never order from them again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Worztron wrote: »
    The number 205 (formerly #5) bus from Cork City. Atrocious. Mostly late.

Add to that the 207, and practically every local bus service in Cork. Service is awful. And Bus Eireann wonder why they don't make money...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 PollyB

I booked a pre-theatre table 3 weeks ago for 4 people Fri 19th in Isabels Baggot St. The owner/manager tells me today 17th "we're not doing early bird on Friday" take it or leave it!! This is despite the website listing early birds still available Friday. Be aware! Horribly, obnoxious attitude. Though looking at other reviews it may be as a blessing in disguise we're not going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Crunchienut

Download the webpage and send to the Advertising Standards Authority - you won't get your early bird but at least it may force them to be a bit more forthcoming in their advertising in the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 PollyB

Thanks crunchienut -will do. I already spoke to Restaurant Association who don't have a complaint procedure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Good
    PollyB wrote: »
    Thanks crunchienut -will do. I already spoke to Restaurant Association who don't have a complaint procedure.

https://twitter.com/isabelsdublin
    https://www.facebook.com/isabelsdublin

Post on their twitter and facebook. Places like that hate bad publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Worztron

Add to that the 207, and practically every local bus service in Cork. Service is awful. And Bus Eireann wonder why they don't make money...

The most annoying thing is that while on many occasions people would wait a long time for the #205 -- meanwhile multiples of numbers 208 (especially), 203, 214, 215, etc. pass by.

I don't know why the buses changed numbers by adding 200 onto them.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 18 leroy d

Just a shout out regarding ECCO shoes. I have worn ECCO shoes for many years and they have always been really comfortable. However in recent years my experience suggests their durability is certainly an issue. Basically, I have 2 pairs of ECCO shoes and their soles are falling apart. Search youtube with 'Ecco Track II - Boots Sole Disintegration' and you pretty much see what I am saying. In fairness, my ECCO shoes are 18 months-2 years old, but only have been worn occasionally and always looked after. I would have expected a lot more from shoes costing 150-170 Euro.
    One thing is for sure, I will be avoiding the ECCO brand in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

leroy d wrote: »
    Just a shout out regarding ECCO shoes. I have worn ECCO shoes for many years and they have always been really comfortable. However in recent years my experience suggests their durability is certainly an issue. Basically, I have 2 pairs of ECCO shoes and their soles are falling apart. Search youtube with 'Ecco Track II - Boots Sole Disintegration' and you pretty much see what I am saying. In fairness, my ECCO shoes are 18 months-2 years old, but only have been worn occasionally and always looked after. I would have expected a lot more from shoes costing 150-170 Euro.

Did you go back to the retailer or contact Ecco? I live abroad and normally stock up on shoes when visiting home, had an issue with a seam splitting on a pair which I wore for the first time almost a year after purchase, continued wearing them for 6 months until my next home trip and took them back to the retailer where I regularly shop, no receipt, worn for 6 months and almost 18 months after purchase, exchanged immediately for a new pair with no quibble, retailer told me that Ecco stand by their products.

• Advertisement

I contacted ECCO directly by email and their response was less than satisfactory. I then emailed them pictures of the soles and received no response.
    The retailer is not interested as I have not kept the receipt and anyway ECCO come with a 1year guarantee and my shoes are older than that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Good
    leroy d wrote: »

I got a pair a bit over a year ago and I've got a similar problem. They've had a fair bit of wear but soles are cracked, heels coming apart - far more deterioration than I'd have expected for a fairly expensive pair of shoes. Definitely won't be buying them again.

SuperS54 wrote: »
    Did you go back to the retailer or contact Ecco? I live abroad and normally stock up on shoes when visiting home, had an issue with a seam splitting on a pair which I wore for the first time almost a year after purchase, continued wearing them for 6 months until my next home trip and took them back to the retailer where I regularly shop, no receipt, worn for 6 months and almost 18 months after purchase, exchanged immediately for a new pair with no quibble, retailer told me that Ecco stand by their products.

The retailer is not interested as both pairs of shoe are over a year old and therefore out of warranty. I contacted ECCO directly by email and they responded with a lame excuse. I then sent them pictures of the faulty soles and have not heard a thing sense.
    A quick web search indicates that this issue is far from unique to me. Shoddy, really shoddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 englishme

Take great care with signing direct debits with Eircom. They have mishandled mine for over a year, had me paying someone else bill (unknown to me) refused for over a year to sort it out for me and now refer me to the a Gardai to sort it out myself - beware of companies who deal with their customers in this disgraceful manner. A great customer with them for over 20years and that is how they treat loyalty. Efibre service is a very poor one, falls way before standard expected for costs of same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Good
    englishme wrote: »
    Take great care with signing direct debits with Eircom. They have mishandled mine for over a year, had me paying someone else bill (unknown to me) refused for over a year to sort it out for me and now refer me to the a Gardai to sort it out myself - beware of companies who deal with their customers in this disgraceful manner. A great customer with them for over 20years and that is how they treat loyalty. Efibre service is a very poor one, falls way before standard expected for costs of same

All I can say us that I'm with them from the P&T days. Always had direct debit and never had a single problem. I have found them great and proactive in offering loyalty discounts etc.
    Your experience, I feel, is far from typical. If they suggested contacting the Gardai then there's more to this than an error by Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Fastway Couriers - what a nightmare to deal with. Was due a delivery yesterday and when I checked status with supplier, there was a hold placed on the delivery because they couldn't find the address - this despite the fact that they deliver to this address quite a few times a year plus my mobile number was on the label....

have been trying to contact them by phone since 9.00 and one of their other offices have confirmed that their phones are off the hook because they are so busy - still waiting for a reply to an email I sent yesterday. What company in this day and age leave their phones off the hook and not reply to customer emails?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭jellybear

Had a dreadful experience with fastway before Christmas!! Lost the package, driver never scanned it back in and a whole list of lies on the tracking history. Will hopefully never have to use them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Fastway Couriers - what a nightmare to deal with. Was due a delivery yesterday and when I checked status with supplier, there was a hold placed on the delivery because they couldn't find the address - this despite the fact that they deliver to this address quite a few times a year plus my mobile number was on the label....

have been trying to contact them by phone since 9.00 and one of their other offices have confirmed that their phones are off the hook because they are so busy - still waiting for a reply to an email I sent yesterday. What company in this day and age leave their phones off the hook and not reply to customer emails?
    I'm with you on them. They left a parcel for me in the crazy neighbours ' house. They're not answering the door so who knows if/when I'll see my delivery

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

All I can say us that I'm with them from the P&T days. Always had direct debit and never had a single problem. I have found them great and proactive in offering loyalty discounts etc.
    Your experience, I feel, is far from typical. If they suggested contacting the Gardai then there's more to this than an error by Eircom.

I had to initiate district court proceedings against Eircom- they took over 2k in funds from my current account (I had attempted to sign up for broadband from them- as they claimed they were able to supply it- however, this proved to be inaccurate). Bank of Ireland refused to cancel the direct debit mandate- they said only the company presenting it could cancel it. By the time Eircom finally admitted they could not supply a service to me- they had taken over 2k from my account (the last 2 being termination charges - twice- of over 800 Euro each- both on the same day).

I spent hundreds chasing them- and on the day the case was to be heard in the district court (the size of it meant it was a district court case)- they handed a cheque for 2k to my solicitor in full and final settlement of the case.

I was advised to accept it- which I did- in bad grace- as I had spent another 700-800 chasing them- that wasn't acknowledged or covered.

It is my personal belief that they are thieving cowboys- and I wouldn't trust any of them as far as I can throw them.

I had a thread up detailing my experiences with them- a few years back- I'll have a hunt around and see if I can dig it out.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

This post has been deleted.

I know that now...... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Wanted to give a shout out to MCFC...

Ordered some bits from their website for hubby's Christmas present. Three items were ordered, but there was trouble on the website and there was a note saying if the order was accepted, then don't order again. Happy Days says I and settled down to wait.

Parcel came. Only two items were in it and the hat I ordered was missing. Called Man City. They apologised, but the hat was missing off the order. Did I still want it? I say 'Yes' and tried to find it on the website. Only one small problem - the hat was sold out!!! :eek:

The club told me no problem - did I want to choose another one? Chose one, but it was more expensive, so I was willing to pay the difference. No problem - the club would courier the hat to me at no extra cost.

However - a mistake was made in the address and the couriers refused to accept it as the club put UK rather than IRL as the destination. Called them again, and they very kindly agreed to courier out another hat straight away rather than wait for the return. Got the hat three days later.

A very happy hubby on Christmas morning. Big thanks to Manchester City. Yes - I know with the Arab millions they could well afford to send me a more expensive item via courier at no extra cost. But superb service, friendly and polite staff who were willing to own their mistake and do everything possible to make sure I got the gifts I ordered in time for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭INPUT INNPUT

I had a thread up detailing my experiences with them- a few years back- I'll have a hunt around and see if I can dig it out.......

boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1554320

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Aren't banks supposed to cancel a direct debit when the account holder asks? AIB never had an issue cancelling any of mine. I can even do it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Tarjh

An Post :mad:

A friend of mine posted a set of keys to me a few days ago. The envelope arrived but the keys were not in it (the envelope had not been torn open, but the flap was easily lifted when I opened it). My friend ask in the post office if sending keys in an envelope like that was safe. The woman working there said it was, and that she would even sellotape over the flap (there was no sellotape on the flap when the envelope arrive to me).

I rang customer service to see what my options are, and the only thing that can be done is to send a letter to the GPO with a description of the keys and hope they find them and send the to me. That would be okay, but the keys are for an apartment on the other side of the world, and I'm flying there next week so need the keys.

The frustrating part is that the woman in the post office assured that the method of posting was fine. And even more frustrating was the woman I spoke to in customer service the second time I rang. She said that keys get ripped out of envelopes all the time, but I said that the envelop was not torn, so she questioned whether or not the keys were put in there at all in the first place. I always pride myself on remaining calm when dealing with people on customer service desks as they are not directly responsible for anything that went wrong, but I lost my cool today because this woman was so rude and dismissive of my problem. I asked for her name and she refused to give it to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

The An Post one reminded me of when I sent a correctly addresses and postcoded parcel to a UK. An Post screwed up and returned the parcel after it spent a week with a courier company in the UK. Mistakes happen and I can live with that but when I questioned what was going on at the local post office I was told it wasn't An Posts problem, nothing to do with them and I need to contact the carrier they handed it to in the UK. An official complaint to An Post resulted in a completely different response indicating that they were responsible and they refunded the postage.

I'll have to give An Post kudos- to counter the negative stories here. I have had 3 packages (2 to the US and one to South Africa) go astray in the last year. On all 3 occasions- I sent the tracking nos. to An Post- who followed up with the local postal authorities- and when the packages did not materialise in due course- sent a cheque to me promptly- and for the full value of the insured packages (I had paid for 200 Euro insurance- which exceeded the price of the contents- but it wasn't disputed).

I found them very approachable, easy to reach on the phone- pleasant and efficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Good
    An post delivered a cheque to me that the sender posted without an envelope or address when the cheque got mixed with outgoing post. Superb service

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Tarjh wrote: »
    An Post :mad:

A friend of mine posted a set of keys to me a few days ago. The envelope arrived but the keys were not in it (the envelope had not been torn open, but the flap was easily lifted when I opened it). My friend ask in the post office if sending keys in an envelope like that was safe. The woman working there said it was, and that she would even sellotape over the flap (there was no sellotape on the flap when the envelope arrive to me).

I rang customer service to see what my options are, and the only thing that can be done is to send a letter to the GPO with a description of the keys and hope they find them and send the to me. That would be okay, but the keys are for an apartment on the other side of the world, and I'm flying there next week so need the keys.

The frustrating part is that the woman in the post office assured that the method of posting was fine. And even more frustrating was the woman I spoke to in customer service the second time I rang. She said that keys get ripped out of envelopes all the time, but I said that the envelop was not torn, so she questioned whether or not the keys were put in there at all in the first place. I always pride myself on remaining calm when dealing with people on customer service desks as they are not directly responsible for anything that went wrong, but I lost my cool today because this woman was so rude and dismissive of my problem. I asked for her name and she refused to give it to me.

No one can guarantee that something sent through the post will reached its destination safely. If this was so important why on earth didn't you have it sent by registered post/courier?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Tarjh

No one can guarantee that something sent through the post will reached its destination safely. If this was so important why on earth didn't you have it sent by registered post/courier?
    I do agree with you. Unfortunately, I was the (intended) receiver, not the sender. My main gripe was with the woman I spoke to on the phone. As I said, I normally have the utmost respect for customer service people because it can be a difficult job. The lady I dealt with did nothing to earn my respect.

Advertisement