Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tower Air Fryer €50 in Dunnes Stores

Options
  • 28-11-2014 8:15pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

Been eyeing up air fryers for a while since I saw my mother's one in action (a Tefal Actifry I believe). Was in Dunnes in Stephens Green yesterday and spotted one for €50. Pulled the trigger on it this evening and I'm just getting it set up, but wanted to give my fellow Boardsies a heads up in case it's the sort of thing that's been on your "maybe" list like me for a while.

It's about 14" in diameter and has 2 trays for cooking on, so looks like you'd get a fair bit done with it.

Found the same model on Amazon for €65+: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tower-T14001-Airwave-Low-Fryer-Black/dp/B00LUX4A70

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pepperpixie

hiya, just wondering what you thought of it?? have you used it much? what have you cooked? I bought one today, looks more like a halogen oven than the other air fryers I've seen, am hopeful though :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BekkiFae

Dying to get on of these, very interested to hear what you thought as I've had warnings to just go wit the Philips Brand one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Is a halogen oven an airfryer though. The Tefal airfryer works on a completely different concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭unreg999

looks just like a halogen oven to me... rather than an airfryer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

As others have mentioned, it definitely looks like a Halogen oven, not an air fryer.

Halogen ovens are pretty crap imo. Mine got used twice and i left it behind when i moved house.

• Advertisement

oh I LOVE mine... I got one around 3 years ago & I use it most days!! it is absolutely brilliant & one of the best gadgets I've ever had :)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭SATNAV

You are right its a halogen oven , seen them in Supervalu and got one , they had loads in Supervalu Fermoy . Its good and cooks really well .
    They call it airwave but your right its a Halogan .
    And yes they cook well !

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Apologies, I was incorrect, didn't realise they were different things :o

However, I still love this thing, has taken over my kitchen's cooking duties and the George Foreman and deep fryer have been permanently retired.

Are they still in the Supervalus? Might still look into it. If it's just as goods it could be a cheaper option that the airfryer.. Does it used oil etc?

they are are great yoke , regardless of the what we call them. Handy for a feed of rashers and sausages.

• Advertisement

I spotted some in a Centra (Stoneybatter) last night. You can spray oil on to the food (they supply a spray thingy), but I've found I don't need to use very much if any at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,208 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

ya looks like halogen oven. i'm single , so for electricity wise it works out cheaper than using the oven. works great for everything except pizzas IMO. heats up nearly straight away.

2smiggy wrote: »
    ya looks like halogen oven. i'm single , so for electricity wise it works out cheaper than using the oven. works great for everything except pizzas IMO. heats up nearly straight away.

That's exactly why I want it, costing me a fortune to put the oven on for a few chips and things like fish fillets.
    I live with my sister who just fried everything and I'm trying to cut down on that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

It's grand but I exchanged it for a Phillips Airfryer, best buy of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,208 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

it's great (halogen over) for me as i'm only cooking for my self. rather than having to heat the oven, i can just put it into this and it cooks way quicker, and cheaper. as for the air fryer, i have one too. works great too, but chips take half hour or so, and not as nice as out of the deep fat fryer. then again nothing that's better for you tastes nicer :P

That's what I was aiming for cherryghost but they're soooo expensive. I know it'll pay for itself over time, but right now it's a bit tight.

I have a halogen oven... love it, use it almost daily... but would love an airfryer too... just seems a bit ott for me to have both as I know they are different but still quite similiar... also lack of counter space am issue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

BekkiFae wrote: »
    That's what I was aiming for cherryghost but they're soooo expensive. I know it'll pay for itself over time, but right now it's a bit tight.

There's a very highly rated one on Amazon for £65 + Shipping (works out at about €100ish)

Still more expensive than the halogen but worth it it the long run i'd say.

Link - Duronic AF1 /B Healthy Oil Free Jet Fryer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

So are these still in Dunnes?

I was trying to get this the other day but there was none available in Dublin. EDIT: None in the Country
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9055908.htm

Different appliance than whats in the op but looks like great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 megrach

Just bought one of these for 50 eur in Dunnes ......they are a lot bigger than the air fryers ....going to try it our tonight ...just wondering do you need to do anything with it ....cleaning etc before use ?

• Advertisement

Give it a quick wash for sure, just for dust and anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I'd say there be no harm just putting it on for 20/30 minutes on max heat, before its first use. Like what you would do with a new oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,314 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

2smiggy wrote: »
    it's great (halogen over) for me as i'm only cooking for my self. rather than having to heat the oven, i can just put it into this and it cooks way quicker, and cheaper. as for the air fryer, i have one too. works great too, but chips take half hour or so, and not as nice as out of the deep fat fryer. then again nothing that's better for you tastes nicer :P

It depends on what chips you're making

If you're doing home made chips, you need to make sure your potatoes are washed and fully dried before you coat them in a bit of oil and spices

If you're lazy and just want frozen chips, the Lidl Chunky oven chips taste great. I actually prefer them to normal deep fried chips now. Just lob them in and give them a couple of shakes during the cook and they're done in about 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Love my halogen oven, I've only used the regular oven for the odd pizzas since I got it. I've never tried chips from an airfryer but they come out of the halogen pretty well so I dont see the point in owning both of these devices.
    At the time I came on here intending to buy an airfryer but others advised to go with the halogen as its more versitile. I also love the way you can see the food cooking through the glass bowl, which is a big disadvantage of conventional ovens placed at knee level IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Given we have a conventional oven what benefits would this halogen one from Dunners have over it when it comes to cooking food?

Given we have a conventional oven what benefits would this halogen one from Dunners have over it when it comes to cooking food?

Quicker to heat . I would think they are more efficient . Easy to clean also.

Handy for a couple or someone living on their own.

Advertisement