Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Back In The Saddle...

Options
  • 23-11-2014 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

IMG_7342_zps8c09e357.jpg

Hello,

I'm a long time lurker but think this might be one of my very first posts here. Apologies in advance for the meandering nature of this post.

Many years ago, I used to be quite keen about cycling, mountain biking in particular. I would honestly have no issues getting on the bike and going wherever I wanted to go, ride some trails, and turning around and riding home again. Once I got to college, the amount of time I had spare reduced to the point where the bike was pretty much sat abandoned in the corner of a shed. College from 9 to 5, work from 6 to 11 to pay for college. For five years. It wasn't an empty excuse. With such long days, enthusiasm dropped and much worse, so did my fitness levels.

I'm currently 29 years old and just off the back of a gallbladder removal which has been plaguing me for over a year. I'm self employed so I'm in a fortunate position where I can now make time to get back in the saddle. Indeed, I made a conscious effort last year during the summer. I picked up an exercise bike to get some fitness back before hitting the roads, dropped nearly two stone over the course of two months but after the sudden death of a close family friend, the level of interest vanished and I regained the weight. The last twelve months have been tough, but since the surgery I've honestly begun to feel my energy and enthusiasm levels are returning. I want to get back on the bike again.

I still have a bike, a DMR Trailstar LT (pictured at top) which I recently spent some time re-configuring and tidying up in the hope of using again to get some fitness. What I've discovered though is that it is utterly useless at going up hills. It's soul destroying struggling on even the slightest of inclines. This fact isn't helped by heavy wheels, a single front chain ring and fat tyres. It's a good bike, and still capable of being used off-road so I want to keep it. For regaining general fitness though, I want to buy my first dedicated road bike. I'm looking at Giant's 2014 Defy range which seem to offer decent value for money? I'm getting good advice from a friend on that front but always open to hearing more.

Here's the questions that I have, if someone would be so kind to point me in the right direction or share their own thoughts, I would be very much appreciative.

1. This would be my first ever road bike. I've never even cycled one before. What things will I need to consider / adjust to coming from an MTB background with regards to rider position / posture etc.?

2. When I started back on the exercise bike last year, I had my first ever encounter with pain / numbness in my nether regions. I tried adjusting saddle angle, saddle height and even swapped out the saddle for one I had used for years previous with no issues but to no avail. The same issue persisted when I done a couple of runs on the DMR earlier this year. What am I doing wrong? Would my weight gain cause this?

3. I'm not quite ready yet to jump into lycra and jerseys just yet, so I've to ask you how do you carry spare bits and pieces with you on a longish ride? Puncture repair kit, mini-pump, phone, wallet etc?

4. As much as I would love to put a set of flats onto a road bike, I don't think it would be a popular choice. I'm not ready to get clipped in, so will need to survive with toe clips. They're horrible looking things, can they be - easily - replaced with strapless toe clips or are they a waste of time?

5. Clothing. As above, I'm not comfortable with the idea of lycra or jerseys or anything really tight fitting just yet as I'm quite self conscious. Is there an in-between of sorts? I was thinking along the lines of MTB shorts, runners and a light rain jacket or would I just look like a pleb?

Thanks in advance everyone, I'll hopefully be coming to a road near you soon...

P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

The mention of pain and numbness screams out that you'll need padded shorts when you start on the road bike. If you're self-conscious about your appearance in lycra, then wear padded shorts under normal shorts; depending on the shorts you go for, that may also solve the issue of where to put your phone and the like. It's hard to say whether it'll solve the numbness, but there are a lot of saddles with scalloped centres on the market that may help.

The under-saddle bag visible in your photo should be able to hold tyre levers, spare tube, puncture repair kit and the like; I have a CO2 canister and adapter stuffed into mine as well! A lot of mini-pumps on the market come with a mounting bracket; if you get one of these, your mini pump will be strapped to your bike and you won't have to worry about it. That leaves your keys, phone and wallet - there are a lot of jackets designed for running on the market that have secure pockets which will hold everything.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Welcome to the cycling forum! :)
    1. This would be my first ever road bike. I've never even cycled one before. What things will I need to consider / adjust to coming from an MTB background with regards to rider position / posture etc.?

It'll feel very different, but I'm sure you'll grow to love it as most do. It'll be much more responsive to changes in direction and speed, and contrary to the myths, they are not any more difficult to balance on. The frame size will also be different to MTB, you'll just need to check your height/inseam length against the manufacturer's frame size, most of them will give you some kind of scale to work from.

2. When I started back on the exercise bike last year, I had my first ever encounter with pain / numbness in my nether regions. I tried adjusting saddle angle, saddle height and even swapped out the saddle for one I had used for years previous with no issues but to no avail. The same issue persisted when I done a couple of runs on the DMR earlier this year. What am I doing wrong? Would my weight gain cause this?

There's really no substitute for a pair of padded shorts, for most people this sorts out pain and numbness. In addition, it is generally recommended that you get a professional bike fit, although it may not be necessary to begin with. When making adjustments yourself, it is very important that you do them very slowly, milimetres at a time. Also, be sure to only change the adjustment of one component at time. When you buy your road bike, the shop staff should be able to sell you a bike that is roughly appropriate to your measurements, and at least get your saddle to the right height.

3. I'm not quite ready yet to jump into lycra and jerseys just yet, so I've to ask you how do you carry spare bits and pieces with you on a longish ride? Puncture repair kit, mini-pump, phone, wallet etc?

Although I do recommend you get into the lycra shorts at least, you can get a saddle bag to carry all that stuff, they cost about 15 quid roughly and come in many different shapes and sizes.
    4. As much as I would love to put a set of flats onto a road bike, I don't think it would be a popular choice. I'm not ready to get clipped in, so will need to survive with toe clips. They're horrible looking things, can they be - easily - replaced with strapless toe clips or are they a waste of time?

Avoid toe clips altogether, they're frankly dangerous for any riding in traffic and don't really add anything to your cycling experience. Stick with flat pedals until such time as you're ready to invest in pedals. Shimano SPD (note- NOT SPD-SLs) are almost certainly the best pedals for novice users of clipless (i.e. cleat and clip-in pedals).
    5. Clothing. As above, I'm not comfortable with the idea of lycra or jerseys or anything really tight fitting just yet as I'm quite self conscious. Is there an in-between of sorts? I was thinking along the lines of MTB shorts, runners and a light rain jacket or would I just look like a pleb?

MTB shorts are available, and some of them do have padded short inners with normal baggy short outers, but honestly nothing will do the job better than normal lycra road-cycling shorts/tights, and a tight cycling jersey. The only recommendation I could possibly give you is just to dive straight into it, it is easily the most comfortable, efficient and appropriate clothing you can wear. The self-consciousness wears off very quickly. No matter what weight you are, it really doesn't matter. They make cycling clothes for all shapes and sizes for a reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Go for the lycra shorts and Jersey and you will enjoy it. I started out the same way worried about looking like a fool in the gear but when you are out and everybody is in the lycra and you are in the gaa shorts you won't mind wearing lycra.

Also your undercarriage will thank you.

Enjoy the road cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Hey Paddy,

Fair play for getting back on the saddle, and hope the healing goes smoothly. Being freelance isn't always as a benefit. I find it quite hard to fit it in, there's always something else to be done before I go for a cycle.

1. You'll get used to the position/posture pretty fast. Finding the best places for you on the handlebars for brake use/comfort will come pretty fast.

2. Padded shorts are pretty essential. They'll make a huge difference to the nether regions, as will spending some time in the saddle. I've also found that weight gain puts extra pressure on the backside.

3. Your current saddlebag is fine. Or get a new one.

4. You may as well go straight to using SPD's. Shimano have a dual sided pedal - Flat one side, SPD on the other. It's a good balance. I use it on a touring/commuting bike with either normal boots or SPD touring shoes.

5. I've went from being pretty comfortable in lycra to not-so-comfortable in lycra after weight gain. Merino wool jerseys are a lot nicer. Something like the Endura Clickfast range of shorts might be worth checking out - You can clip in the undershorts with padding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

OldBean wrote: »
    4. You may as well go straight to using SPD's. Shimano have a dual sided pedal - Flat one side, SPD on the other. It's a good balance. I use it on a touring/commuting bike with either normal boots or SPD touring shoes.

Second this - I have a set of these pedals on the road bike and they've done well for commuting, sportives and adventure races. They can actually be fitted with toe clips on the flat side - I did this for a couple of short-course races earlier this year - so you can start out with toe clips and switch to SPDs when you're ready.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

Second this - I have a set of these pedals on the road bike and they've done well for commuting, sportives and adventure races. They can actually be fitted with toe clips on the flat side - I did this for a couple of short-course races earlier this year - so you can start out with toe clips and switch to SPDs when you're ready.

yep,clip in straight away,takes a little time to get used to them but they make life a lot easier.The defy range is good value and comfortable as are a lot of other bikes.padded bibs are a must,Im a bit of a fatty,just a bit and I wear the lycra but wear cycling trousers over them,they can be got on crc or wiggle.enjoy it and good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

All of the above, you'll love it when you get into it..

PS, How you getting on after the gallbladder op, heard different stories about success rate..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Thanks everyone for the fantastic advice. Padded shorts are definitely a must it seems. I could always pair them with a light rain jacket as it's probably not going to be jersey weather for another while yet?

I'll definitely look into those dual sided pedals too, could be perfect as I get more comfortable with the bike.

not yet wrote: »
    All of the above, you'll love it when you get into it..

PS, How you getting on after the gallbladder op, heard different stories about success rate..

I'm two weeks pre-op today and have to say I'm feeling really good for the first time in a long time. I'm still get a bit sore where they cut me, but that's to be expected. Done a light 5K today on the exercise bike just to start getting some level of fitness back.

Just an update, was sized for the bike today and should be on the road in the coming weeks. Going to try get some level of fitness on an exercise bike beforehand but I have to say, the riding position wasn't as strange as I thought it would be. The staff in Altitude in Waterford have been brilliant in giving me the right advise and not pushing everything on top of me.

I went with a Giant Defy 2 in the end, can't wait for the pain & suffering to commence!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    Just an update, was sized for the bike today and should be on the road in the coming weeks. Going to try get some level of fitness on an exercise bike beforehand but I have to say, the riding position wasn't as strange as I thought it would be. The staff in Altitude in Waterford have been brilliant in giving me the right advise and not pushing everything on top of me.

I went with a Giant Defy 2 in the end, can't wait for the pain & suffering to commence!

Best of luck..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

Hello Brother ..

Welcome to my world :) Looking forward to getting out for a few coffee spins with you !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭jamesd

Well done Paddy, you will love the road cycling and it gets so addictive.
    I did one spin in standard shorts and felt out of place so went lycra and once everyone else is in it you are grand.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

cycling shorts really are a must.

if you're worried about how they look just put a sausage down the front but make sure it always stays at the front and never goes to the back.... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭fabvinny

Good choice! Got my first road bike this year and got the same bike,very happy with it! Takes a bit of getting used to having had a mountain bike. Oh and yes, padded shorts are vital!! I actually changed the saddle too for a one with a little padding on it,worked a treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭fabvinny

Good choice! Got my first road bike this year and got the same bike,very happy with it! Takes a bit of getting used to having had a mountain bike. Oh and yes, padded shorts are vital!! I actually changed the saddle too for a one with a little padding on it,worked a treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

well done on getting back in the saddle. Please dont go with the GAA look, get the lycra on, I nearly crashed one morning, when a trio of lads came past me, 2 decked out in lycra & helmets, the other has a Gaa club jersey, O'Neills shorts over tracksuit bottoms & his hurling helmet on!

I am still laughing when it think of it.

Bloggsie wrote: »
    well done on getting back in the saddle. Please dont go with the GAA look, get the lycra on, I nearly crashed one morning, when a trio of lads came past me, 2 decked out in lycra & helmets, the other has a Gaa club jersey, O'Neills shorts over tracksuit bottoms & his hurling helmet on!

I am still laughing when it think of it.

I'll never be seen in GAA gear anyways! Will start with shorts, clean trainers (no clips yet) and a light jacket & helmet. I'll leave my old full face at home for the mean time :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'll never be seen in GAA gear anyways! Will start with shorts, clean trainers (no clips yet) and a light jacket & helmet. I'll leave my old full face at home for the mean time :P

Your obviously not in this country if your considering wearing shorts and a light jacket at this time of year?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 blurch

I am in the same boat as you paddy, back in the saddle after 25 years.
    I also was a mountain biker and used my old kona, (an antique according to my LBS "where are the disk brakes"), for the first few months till I got a road bike recently.
    I still can not fully trust those skinny little tyres, but it has made the world of difference and made the whole experience more enjoyable. I would as every one else has advised get a couple of pairs of good padded shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

blurch wrote: »
    I also was a mountain biker and used my old kona, (an antique according to my LBS "where are the disk brakes")

wonder what they'd make of my orange aluminium o which doesnt seem to like 9 speed gears much

• Advertisement

Your obviously not in this country if your considering wearing shorts and a light jacket at this time of year?

I've plenty of natural insulation at the moment, but if needs be I'll just add to what I need. Trying to keep spending to a minimum at the moment. Must keep an eye out for arm & leg warmers in Aldi actually.

After lots of talking, I collected the bike yesterday and went for my first spin this morning. Long story short, I love it.

Being the first ride, I was surprised how comfortable it was and had no numbness afterwards so to speak. I did ensure that my weight was on the saddle via my sit bones, so hopefully that helped. I need to straighten the stem slightly and my hands got a little sore towards the end (holding the bars too tight?). Also, I'm finding the brakes quite poor. I've no confidence in them, especially when going downhill and find myself constantly feathering them where previously I wouldn't have minded letting the speed build before braking harder and later. Any easy solutions for that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

After lots of talking, I collected the bike yesterday and went for my first spin this morning. Long story short, I love it.

Being the first ride, I was surprised how comfortable it was and had no numbness afterwards so to speak. I did ensure that my weight was on the saddle via my sit bones, so hopefully that helped. I need to straighten the stem slightly and my hands got a little sore towards the end (holding the bars too tight?). Also, I'm finding the brakes quite poor. I've no confidence in them, especially when going downhill and find myself constantly feathering them where previously I wouldn't have minded letting the speed build before braking harder and later. Any easy solutions for that one?

Did you get it from a bike shop? They are usually more than happy to carry out any tunes ups needed in the few weeks post collection. Enjoy!

Did you get it from a bike shop? They are usually more than happy to carry out any tunes ups needed in the few weeks post collection. Enjoy!

I'm sure they would, I'm just a kind of hands on sort of person and would like to learn a bit more where and when I can. From looking around online, the Tektro brakes fitted to it, don't have the most glowing of reviews. Apparently though a simple change of brake pads will give a huge improvement. I'll leave it a while though, and give the brakes the chance to properly bed in first.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm finding the brakes quite poor. I've no confidence in them, especially when going downhill and find myself constantly feathering them where previously I wouldn't have minded letting the speed build before braking harder and later. Any easy solutions for that one?

I'd a similar experience with a Defy 4. Give the brakes a chance to bed in and also give time for you to get used to the response/feel of the braking action. Three or four spins should see you sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Must keep an eye out for arm & leg warmers in Aldi actually.

I picked up arm warmers for €2:00 and leg warmers for €1:50 in Aldi's in Coolock during the week.

Advertisement