Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strike On ! Proposed New Junior Cert **See Mod Warning Post #1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭f3232

acequion wrote: »
    Do people ever wonder where all this antipathy /hostility towards teachers came from? Because it is totally and completely unjustified. Ok,decades back you had some very lazy and some very useless teachers,who nowadays wouldn't last five minutes. But back then you had the brilliant ones too and overall the majority were good to very good. I'm teaching long enough to remember when teaching was a highly respected profession and teachers, as individuals, were treated with courtesy and respect.

So,what happened? Did teachers en masse create some enormous fcuk up? Not a bit of it. Was there some big scandal somewhere linking teachers to some sort of corruption, a la politicians of Ireland? Not a bit of that either. So,what went wrong? Quite simply,folks,at some point it became the "in" thing to hate teachers and teacher bashing, along the lines of priest bashing and politician bashing, became a national sport. Brought in no doubt by the all powerful media. All of a sudden,it was fine to express the ugliest of jealousy over the holidays and other advantages as if we'd only just acquired these things.As if teachers of the past didn't have those so called perks as well.

I have also worked in the private service and in other countries and I've never seen a harder working,more committed group of professionals than today's teachers. So,the bashing is nothing less than revolting and that's why I couldn't care less about the public,or at least those elements in the public who treat us so shabbily.

We've got to fight for our rights and let them think what they want. They will anyway.

Neo Liberal Agenda

Ed Walsh

United Newspapers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭acequion

Too true,more's the pity.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

I heard Ed Walsh for the first time on Newstalk this morning. Such a mad way to start the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭doc_17

Moody_mona wrote: »
    I heard Ed Walsh for the first time on Newstalk this morning. Such a mad way to start the day.

He is the personification of the attitude that exists in this country towards the teaching profession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

doc_17 wrote: »
    He is the personification of the attitude that exists in this country towards the teaching profession.

Same as Eddie Hobbs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Moody_mona wrote: »
    Never once have I heard him justify the huge salary he got in UL.

Sorry to turn people's stomachs just before dinner time, but for anyone not clear on the condescension and sheer arrogance of typical neo liberals like Ed Walsh,with their profit at the expense of people agenda,have a read of this:

http://www.edwalsh.ie/2011/01/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Usual oul' manure.
    He wouldn't last two minutes with 204.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

Ive seen better presented websites made by primary school children .

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭The Letheram

Don't give the clown the oxygen of publicity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

acequion wrote: »
    Sorry to turn people's stomachs just before dinner time, but for anyone not clear on the condescension and sheer arrogance of typical neo liberals like Ed Walsh,with their profit at the expense of people agenda,have a read of this:

http://www.edwalsh.ie/2011/01/

I've reported your post to have the link removed. Adding clicks to this rodent's blog is helping him.

I've reported your post to have the link removed. Adding clicks to this rodent's blog is helping him.

aahhh thanks for reporting :) but I spse. its not really against the charter to link to webpages of poor standard... I think! unless he has incitement to hatred on it! ...

mod

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Armelodie wrote: »
    aahhh thanks for reporting :) but I spse. its not really against the charter to link to webpages of poor standard... I think! unless he has incitement to hatred on it! ...

mod

It was a bit tongue in cheek :D

killbillvol2,I put it there because there are many people,of whom teachers,most unfortunately,who regularly read threads like this and wonder what all the fuss is about. They think we overact, that we are too militant,trouble makers etc and would like us at each turn to just get on with it,roll over and put our heads in the sand,so to speak. Such apathetic people need to see with their own eyes the real threat teachers,and indeed all workers, face from such individuals as Edward Walsh. Because these are the people who, most regrettably,are influencing policy. Howard Hislop,the chief inspector at the DES and Anne Looney ,of the NCCA,are also of that ilk and by reading the above from Edward Walsh,it is not so hard to figure out where Ruari Quinn was coming from,preposterous and all as it was.

Therefore,people need to read this to realise that teachers are not over reacting. To remove the link would be an over reaction and I'm glad the mods didn't do so. We must put all the facts out there. Our biggest danger is in the apathy of our own collegues and they must be woken up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

My understanding is that we are allowed to teach the new course(s) and that our objection has nothing to do with that. After all, courses change. I assume that when they brought the Junior Cert in in the first place all of the courses changed and it wasn't done in a nice, staggered way like this new one is.

The difference is that the Junior Cert didn't introduce a completely new method of assessing, damaging the integrity of the whole examination process, didn't heap a whole lot of extra work on teachers (beyond the extra work that has to come with new courses), didn't expect teachers to implement these changes with almost no training for the new assessment process (since there wasn't one) and no resources to facilitate the change and didn't ask teachers who'd already been screwed over and had their pay cut by the government to take on state marking duties for free.

I will have no problem teaching a new science syllabus next year (though the one they're bringing in is yet another example of our ongoing race to the bottom) but I won't mark my own students for certification and I won't do extra work unpaid in order to facilitate that. I'm doing enough of that as it is.

My point is that we shouldn't be getting distracted from the real issue. The issue isn't that there's a new course coming in. The issue is how it's coming in. Accepting that the new course is inevitable isn't rolling over. Accepting that the new system is inevitable is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

If you are not in a union do you have to take an uncertified day on the day of the strike?

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    If you are not in a union do you have to take an uncertified day on the day of the strike?

Write a letter to principal stating that you are available to work on that day.

Stand on the picket line side by side with the people who fund the attempts to defend your pay & conditions. Perhaps at times they haven't acheived al that we would have liked but we'd be a worse place if we didn't have a union. So my advice would be to forget about a sick day. Stand in the picket. You'll only have to do an hour. Don't abandon your colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Mardy Bum wrote: »

join the union ?

Don't abandon your colleagues.

The union abandoned us years ago .HRA 2 (third vote...) was the last straw for me .They managed to win me a 1700 euro paycut !Im not going to pay for the wages of those who seek to actively undermine teachers' pay and conditions.

• Advertisement

2011abc wrote: »
    The union abandoned us years ago .HRA 2 (third vote...) was the last straw for me .They managed to win me a 1700 euro paycut !Im not going to pay for the wages of those who seek to actively undermine teachers' pay and conditions.

Everyone received that pay cut, not just you. I would have the belief that pre 04 workers abandoned me but it won't do me any good to walk away and then think things will get better all by themselves. If you think that being in a union isn't any real help an that there is a better way to protect or improve our terms and conditions then I respect that. But please tell me what it is. I will help you achieve it.

You can be annoyed and still be a member of the union. Change happens from within. Play the long game. If every pre 04 and post 11 teacher left the union then the government would have carte Blanche to do everything they ever wanted to teachers.

Our strength lies together. Those who don't see that are, in my opinion, naive. And being mislead either by themselves or Ed Walsh. Or else they have a super secret plan that they are reluctant to share.

Everyone received that pay cut, not just you. I would have the belief that pre 04 workers abandoned me but it won't do me any good to walk away and then think things will get better all by themselves. If you think that being in a union isn't any real help an that there is a better way to protect or improve our terms and conditions then I respect that. But please tell me what it is. I will help you achieve it.

You can be annoyed and still be a member of the union. Change happens from within. Play the long game. If every pre 04 and post 11 teacher left the union then the government would have carte Blanche to do everything they ever wanted to teachers.

Our strength lies together. Those who don't see that are, in my opinion, naive. And being mislead either by themselves or Ed Walsh. Or else they have a super secret plan that they are reluctant to share.

I really couldn't agree more and I'd even go so far as to say that those harping on about having quit the union after the HRA acceptance are getting rather tiresome at this stage.

We all know that the union sold us out on HRA. We'd all love to get rid of Pat King and have someone who represents us better at the top.Heck,many of us have fought bitterly with them and I'm even still barred from ASTI facebook page. But,when you read the kind of propaganda coming from the likes of Ed Walsh and read Government policy documents about public service reform and what they still hope to bring in - performance related pay,regular performance reviews,liberalisation of public services where schools may have to compete with each other for state funds, it makes me very,very glad that we have a union,flawed though it may be.

So folks,it is up to each one of us to take ownership of the union!! It was never more important than it is now.

All credit to the above pair of psoters but the ASTI was usurped and ripped off in the early noughties and here we are again ...There IS another alternative , a new union .At an ASTI Fightback meeting proposing /exploring this 30-35 people turned up(including two absolute legends who 'saved' the ASTI the last time it was under siege and conceded it was back to square one again )It would require 1000 signatures @25 euro a head .
    So guys ?Are you going to reclaim your union ?Wait for the nice man to leave in his own good time and hope the next guy is better (some stirrings that incoming candidates have an existing track record of non resistance)Or do you want a new union ?
    I think there are about 27000 secondary teachers in Ireland .

All credit to the above pair of psoters but the ASTI was usurped and ripped off in the early noughties and here we are again ...There IS another alternative , a new union .At an ASTI Fightback meeting proposing /exploring this 30-35 people turned up(including two absolute legends who 'saved' the ASTI the last time it was under siege and conceded it was back to square one again )It would require 1000 signatures @25 euro a head .
    So guys ?Are you going to reclaim your union ?Wait for the nice man to leave in his own good time and hope the next guy is better (some stirrings that incoming candidates have an existing track record of non resistance)Or do you want a new union ?

Can you be in 2 unions though?

I was there too that day and the general consensus was that as too few were interested,the setting up of a new union had to be shelved. A pity,but the next best thing is the existing unions.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Anyone know where the secretarial staff and SNAs stand on Tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    Anyone know where the secretarial staff and SNAs stand on Tuesday?

I would have thought they'd have to present themselves for work as usual as per their contract. Presume the secretaries have enough work tobe getting on with. Not sure about the sna's If the students are out? I know plenty of schools where they'd be asked to do photocopying or filing etc but don't know how legit that is

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Yeah, thought as much.
    Was just wondering.
    We have 22 SNAs and 3 office staff.
    Some seemed a bit unsure today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Our secretaries are probably only bloody delighted that they have time to try and catch up. Mental busy in the office all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    Yeah, thought as much.
    Was just wondering.
    We have 22 SNAs and 3 office staff.
    Some seemed a bit unsure today.

22 SNAs 😯

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement