Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters in Education-Am i mad to do one?

Options
  • 02-07-2012 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

:)Hi i would really appreciate if someone could help me. I rang the office in Trinity but the lady can not get back to me until next week....anyway i am a primary school teacher with 4 years experience. I have recently lost my job so my question is do you have to be teaching too to carry out case studies, projects etc?. I was looking at the Masters on Co-operative learning and some of the course content regarding organising a CL group etc. So what do teachers do if they want to just do a masters and are not in the classroom?!. I am also interested in the masters on positive behaviour management. What is the story with implementing a peer mediation programme in your school. Does this have to be done before the masters is completed or just for future reference. I could imagine even if i got a maternity leave cover during teh course of my masters and going in all guns blazing implementing peer programmes etc what reaction i would get!. I would love to hear your views on the masters programmes and what you found interesting...is there alot of discussing in groups and presentations in the taught masters. I love teaching but don't know is i would have the confidence to get up in front of a whole class of peers. In this respect, i understand people will probably say then don't do a masters if you can't hack it!!. What are the hours like for someone commuting?. If i do get work around my home area in Laois, it will mean commuting from Portlaoise. I had a look at the timetable from last year and most of face to face lectures are on a Sat. Am i mad to do a masters in this day and age when i could get a job anyway based on my qualifications and experience. I know the extra allowance would not be a major deciding factor but it annoys me to think that after two years of hard work , that some increment or contribution would not be there. I would be doing it solely for personal development...;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lily09

I'm sorry I can't answer all your questions but here is my experience. I completed a masters in ucc a few years ago. At the time I was working in the supply scheme and had no class of my own. This did make it harder as there were reflective journal and learning logs activities that were much more difficult as I used classes that I was only in with briefly as subject matter.pick your modules carefully as many needed no class interaction.
    As you know the allowance is now gone but it was worth less than ten euro per week and the course cost over 9,000 .
    On the whole I would highly recommend doing a masters. It is so interesting to delve into methodologies the undergrad cours could not cover.
    I

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Libra1

Ok. Firstly as far as.I'm aware you must be teaching 5 yrs to be considered for some masters, so look into that.
    I've one yr left in mine, part time over 3 yrs.
    We have no presentations but am expected to partake in group discussions in tutorials.

You're not mad to consider it. I started mine when my little ones were 3 and my boy was 5 months old.

I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

It all depends on your motivation for doing a Masters. If it's for financial allowances, then you may well be mad. If your motivation is for self-satisfaction or the possibility of promotion at some point in the future, then you are very definitely Not Mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭coolperson05

Just finishing the one in Trinity...it was the foundation studies one. It does help to have a class if you decide to do Action Research projects/dissertation and apply your knowledge learnt with your class, but experience is a must. You should be fine with
    3-4 years - you can relate the modules to your previous teaching. It's heavily academic and lots of writing but I have enjoyed it. Best of luck with your decidion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 confused2014

anyone doing Masters in Education at the moment? Interested to know what people picked. Can't decide between cooperative learning or positive behaviour management. Going to apply for next year just want to know about assessments etc. Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement