Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 Ball handicap allowance

Options
  • 31-10-2010 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

What is the opinion on the 3/4 handicap allowance given on 4 ball betterball competitions. A long handicapper ( 16 + ) is at a disadvantage as he/she loses 4 shots or more as opposed to single figure player. Better players can handle 1 to 2 shot reductions due to their ability whereas long handicappers struggle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Woodgate

I think it's more a mental thing for higher handicappers, everyone loses 3/4 but obviously seems more if you have a high handicap. Say a guy off 20 who's used to having 2 shots on a hole suddenly loses that little cushion. However I think it's fair enough, I'm off 5 so go to 4, so lose 1 shot, but it's still the loss of 3/4.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Huntelaar

The fact that a high handicapper loses a couple of shots more is hardly a big deal considering all they have to do for a win on a hole is par it! Its a hell of a lot harder for a lower handicapper to birdie a hole than it is for a higher handicapper to par it! If anything they should be losing even more in my opinion. How often would you see 2 guys off 5 or less winning fourballs in your club?? Not very often would be my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭G1032

shaycl wrote: »
    What is the opinion on the 3/4 handicap allowance given on 4 ball betterball competitions. A long handicapper ( 16 + ) is at a disadvantage as he/she loses 4 shots or more as opposed to single figure player. Better players can handle 1 to 2 shot reductions due to their ability whereas long handicappers struggle

I wouldn't agree with this at all. As has been pointed out on this forum during many a debate the higher handicapper has a high handicap due to his inconsistency. A 16 handicapper golfer is more than capable of going on a run of 5 or 6 pars which would be very difficult for a low handicapper to live with. Also the 16+ handicapper might have a couple of disastrous holes which would affect his stokeplay score but will only cost him one hole in matchplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Huntelaar wrote: »
    Its a hell of a lot harder for a lower handicapper to birdie a hole than it is for a higher handicapper to par it!

Talk us through that one. It makes no sense to me, surely that's completely at odds with the handicap/stableford system?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Huntelaar

Talk us through that one. It makes no sense to me, surely that's completely at odds with the handicap/stableford system?

Pretty sure most people would agree. Maybe I'm wrong.

Do you honestly think that it's just as easy for a low handicapper to stick a shot in close and get the putt as it is for say a 15 handicapper to knob 2 shots onto a green and 2 putt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

I think the reduction is fair enough, based on the fact that handicaps are for a full round, ie 18 holes. It's fairly unusual for one person to do all the scoring in a 4 ball, generally your bad holes don't count. It would be these bad holes that give rise to the higher handicap in the first place so I don't think you should get the benefit of the extra shots when they will (broadly speaking) be used on a) holes you play well and b) less than a full round.
    I agree it's mostly a mental thing with high handicappers. In our place it seems they are often so annoyed about it before they go out they've no chance anyway. It's not unusual for, say, a 20 handicapper to win a singles with, say, at least 2 double bogeys on his card, but when the 4 or 5 shots come off at the start it's a different matter for some reason. These 2 or 3 double bogeys probably wouldn't count in a 4 ball anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Tarbhdubh

Don't think its fair on an 80 year old playing off 28 losing 7 shots. As far as the concerns from the single handicapper that he would have to birdie 6 holes in a row to keep up wlth high handicapper who pars 6 in a row. Well the likely hood is that the high handicapper will have D/Bogey and scratches included not pars and bogeys. Just think there should be some age allowance. I'm not retired yet. 16 HC.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

4 year old thread!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement