Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trying to get a refund from GroupOn

Options
  • 02-07-2014 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,

I recently purchased a voucher on Groupon.ie for an online course but after reading the small print quickly realised it wasn't what I wanted. Groupons policy states that provided I have not redeemed the voucher - which I haven't - I am entitled to a refund once I email them/phone them within 7 working days to cancel this transaction.

I made this purchase last Tuesday (24th June) and I immediately contacted their customer service team the next day through a query form on the Groupon website. I also emailed with the email address they had provided so I had proof that I had contacted them.

On Monday almost a week since I first contacted them, I still had no response from Groupon so I emailed them again. I also tried phoning the customer service number which was of no help - it took me through loads of different lists of information until I arrived at the section 'how to request a refund for a voucher' but unfortunately this just gave me the email address I have been already trying to email. At no point was I redirected to speak with a person the phonecall was all done through an automated service.

I have now emailed them 3 times and have not heard a word from them. I am not sure where I go from here?

I emailed them within the 7 working days to cancel my transaction so I should still be entitled to my refund but how do I go about appealing this when I can't contact them?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Are you sure you're emailing the correct party, there's no mention of an email address on Groupon's T&Cs

http://www.groupon.ie/terms_and_conditions/local
    and
    https://grouponireland.zendesk.com/entries/21716201-voucher-purchased-by-mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ffb

The email address was one they have provided on the actual voucher they send you once you have made a purchase so I would assume this is correct.

I also did try emailing them through their online form as stated on the website but have yet to hear anything back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Charge back your card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭skippy15

I have received 2/3 refunds from groupon after hotels booked up or I purchased two items. Every time they were nice and simple to deal with and was refunded promptly

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

I bought an online course from Groupon too, perhaps the same one as you.
    I was unable to enrollnin the course on the college website and no one from the college would contact me despite humerous emails. Anyway I rang Groupon and was issued a refund immediately. This was several weeks later.
    So try actually ringing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 ffb

Thanks for the suggestions, as it turned out I still never heard anything back from GroupOn but after a few weeks my money was refunded when I checked my bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

ffb wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions, as it turned out I still never heard anything back from GroupOn but after a few weeks my money was refunded when I checked my bank account.

This is pretty standard. theyre defintely slow refunding but of 3 refunds Ive got from them, theres never been an issue getting it other than the tardiness whihc can be very annoying.

I found the whole groupon thing too haphazard to deal with, Bought 6, needed refunds on 3 due to suppliers pulling out. not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Tyrone Shoes

I found that e-mailing Groupon is very frustrating and using their website for submitting a query, both of these methods result in no response from Groupon. This is definitley a sub standard customer serivce. Calling them is really the only way you can hope to resolve any issues which takes painfully long. I have purchased a lot of goods via groupon and have only requested a refund twice. The first was dealt with promptly (over a year ago) but the second one I'm still waiting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

I too am having major problems with a purchase from GroupOn. I bought 2 mystery tour getaways @ €159 each on October 8th but have only now seen that these had to be BOOKED by October 10th. I now want a refund of the full amount, I am finding it impossible to speak to anyone on any phone number I have for them. Every line is an automated service with no option to speak to a customer service rep. I would NEVER make another purchase from this outfit but I am determined to get a refund of my monies. Has anyone got any suggestions please??????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Read Sect 5 of their Terms and Conditions, it gives some details about how to contact them in event of you not being able to redeem the voucher before expiry.
    http://www.groupon.ie/terms_and_conditions/local

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

et101 wrote: »
    I too am having major problems with a purchase from GroupOn. I bought 2 mystery tour getaways @ €159 each on October 8th but have only now seen that these had to be BOOKED by October 10th. I now want a refund of the full amount, I am finding it impossible to speak to anyone on any phone number I have for them. Every line is an automated service with no option to speak to a customer service rep. I would NEVER make another purchase from this outfit but I am determined to get a refund of my monies. Has anyone got any suggestions please??????

Presumably the date was in the T&Cs and printed on the voucher when you were making the purchase.

If they give you a refund it will be discretionary, i.e. you are not entitled to one but they may give it as a goodwill gesture. It's not their fault you did not read the terms correctly.

EDIT: according to the link in the post above you have 14 days change of mind period which ends tomorrow (if your purchase was 8th October) so you can disregard what I said above.

Advertisement