Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GGG vs Marco Antonio Rubio

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Not sure he is there yet (certainly top 5) but he is definitely in the conversation.

Fair enough but he needs to beat few more quality fighters to be talked about as no1. Every chance he can end up no1

• Registered Users Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I'm a bit bewildered by the overrating of GGG in regards to what he may do at SMW. He is quality at MW, but the jump to 168 won't be that easy. Interesting that he weighed 173 lbs last night; this is very close to what SMW men are on fight night. Will he cary his MW power in against natural 168 lbers? What of his chin when a big SMW tags it? Talk of GGG moving down in weight? Very unlikely. No way Cotto meets him. That would be a slaughter. Cotto rated above him at MW? I guess that belongs in the thread about the problems with pro boxing.

Donaire boxed very well last night. He was just not strong enough for a man at least a weight class above him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Gelatomela

walshb wrote: »
    I'm a bit bewildered by the overrating of GGG in regards to what he may do at SMW. He is quality at MW, but the jump to 168 won't be that easy. Interesting that he weighed 173 lbs last night; this is very close to what SMW men are on fight night. Will he cary his MW power in against natural 168 lbers? What of his chin when a big SMW tags it? Talk of GGG moving down in weight? Very unlikely. No way Cotto meets him. That would be a slaughter. Cotto rated above him at MW? I guess that belongs in the thread about the problems with pro boxing.

Donaire boxed very well last night. He was juts not strong enough for a man at least a weight class above him.

It's been said that Golovkin has the power of an average heavy weight. If true his power would be more than enough for super middle weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Donaire boxed very well last night. He was just not strong enough for a man at least a weight class above him.

Surely Rubio was/is the size of a SMW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

There can be no questions of his chin either.

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Surely Rubio was/is the size of a SMW.

He was 181 lbs. That doesn't tell the whole story. Rubio was flabby at this weight. I am talking about the likes of the real natural 168 lb men. Men who are really LHW fighting at SMW. Anyway, I will wait and see. Let us see how GGG reacts to being hit solid by the likes of Froch and Ward.

Gelatomela wrote: »
    It's been said that Golovkin has the power of an average heavy weight. If true his power would be more than enough for super middle weight.

Who says this, and how is it even verifiable?

There can be no questions of his chin either.

Thare can always be questions of his chin. Not sure what proves this assertion? Yes, as it stands his chin has proven solid. We won't know how the chin reacts when it gets hit hard by SMW boxers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Thare can always be questions of his chin. Not sure what proves this assertion? Yes, as it stands his chin has proven solid. We won't know how the chin reacts when it gets hit hard by SMW boxers.

Never being knocked down in 400 fights, never even wobbled as a pro as far as I know. Granted stepping up in weight will test it further but I think it is fair to say that it is sound and not much reason for concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Froch and Ward are hardly huge punchers as well.

I think Golovkin beats Froch and loses to Ward on points.

• Advertisement

Johner wrote: »
    Froch and Ward are hardly huge punchers as well.

I think Golovkin beats Froch and loses to Ward on points.

Yes, Ward doesn't appear to be all that heavy handed. Carl has heavy and numbing hands. Enough to test GGGs chin if he connects clean. I would have to go with Ward against GGG, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a really clear victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Yes, Ward doesn't appear to be all that heavy handed. Carl has heavy and numbing hands. Enough to test GGGs chin if he connects clean. I would have to go with Ward against GGG, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a really clear victory.

The fight with Froch would be at least interesting to tell us a bit more about GGG, to date his biggest fights have been Rubio and Macklin, he has disposed of them easily but hardly huge tests. There is no way GGG can be considered for number 1 P4P with the opponents he has fought.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

Just got to see the bill now and as far as I'm concerned it's all about Walters.
    That was very, very impressive. I really didn't see Nonito getting stopped, but from the time of the knockdown in the 3rd he looked very wary. Funny enough, before that he looked as sharp as I've seen him in a long time, which is why I really rate this performance from Walters. He looks so hungry and even more than his power I was so impressed with his defense - I can't ever remember Donaire's left hook missing so regularly.

Walters is definitely one to watch.

Golovkin was also impressive, but I thought the win was tainted by the fact that Rubio could definitely have beaten the count. And that is a fact. This fake complaining afterwards about being up before 10 is ridiculous. He was perfectly clear-headed, but just didn't want to go on.

I really rate him but it's a pity there's nobody to test him at middleweight to give GGG a better standing, cos I believe he'd be a strong favourite against Cotto and would probably stop him in the later rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

Walters was hugely impressive. He'll take some stopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Thought Donaire did pretty well actually, think the size and power difference at the weight was too much for him. He hasn't the same advantages he had at the lower weights.

Spazdarn wrote: »
    Thought Donaire did pretty well actually, think the size and power difference at the weight was too much for him. He hasn't the same advantages he had at the lower weights.

I agree. He looked sharper than ever, and was really getting power into his shots. The foe was just a weight or so above him. I would say 6-7 lbs naturally bigger.

Disappointing to see Donaire talking about moving back down already. Even though there's a promotional barrier, I would have liked to see him take on Mares at 126. I think he could win a lot of relatively big fights at 126, just not against a powerhouse like Walters.

What are the odds of getting Frampton-Donaire at 122?

Henno30 wrote: »
    Disappointing to see Donaire talking about moving back down already. Even though there's a promotional barrier, I would have liked to see him take on Mares at 126. I think he could win a lot of relatively big fights at 126, just not against a powerhouse like Walters.

What are the odds of getting Frampton-Donaire at 122?

Not sure what moving down would do to his body. The guy looks fairly natural at 126 lbs. 4 lbs is a lot to drop after moving up. Even though Donaire has fought at a lower weights right now he looks solid at FW in appearance. BTW, he was possibly a shot or two himself away from really hurting Waters. I think Donaire has/had the power to do the trick but he didn't connect clean enough.

Very dangerous fight for Frampton or anyone. Return with Rigo would also be interesting. He may decide to be a lot less cautious and patient. This could be bad for him or good for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Who says this, and how is it even verifiable?

I know Kovalev has sparred both Golovkin and Povetkin and said GGG punches a lot harder. Take that whatever way you like.

magma69 wrote: »
    I know Kovalev has sparred both Golovkin and Povetkin and said GGG punches a lot harder. Take that whatever way you like.

I can take it that Povetkin is a weak hitter, or that he was just sparring and not fully committing. Or that Kovalev is telling porkies. Or that GGG is one in a million! A few ways to take it. None are verifiable to any of us.

I'd probably bet that punch for punch Povetkin would generate more power/force.

• Advertisement

Forgot to mention - it was nice to see classy respectful interviews from Walters, Donaire and Golovkin. Such a change from the usual sh*te we have to put up with.

Donaire and Walters' interviews were a credit to them and the sport!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭qwabercd

It's an awful pity that Dmitry Pirog couldn't stay fit, could have posed a threat to GGG. It would have been an intriguing fight either way.

pac_man wrote: »
    I find the Golovkin interviews cringy. His english isn't the best and it's like he's answered questions from a phrasebook.But at least he's making an effort and try to connect with fans. I've a growing disliking towards Max Kellerman, thought he was fairly disrespectful to Donaire after the fight.

I know where you're coming from as regards GGG. He's so stiff and robotic in interviews. Bit like his boxing style;)

But that's because his English is so limited.
    You can tell he's a decent fella and not into spouting endless sh!te.
    That other stuff is just sooooooooooooooo boring.

qwabercd wrote: »
    It's an awful pity that Dmitry Pirog couldn't stay fit, could have posed a threat to GGG. It would have been an intriguing fight either way.

Completely forgot about him, he has been so inactive.
    He certainly would be a test if he stayed active and fit.

pac_man wrote: »
    I find the Golovkin interviews cringy. His english isn't the best and it's like he's answered questions from a phrasebook.But at least he's making an effort and try to connect with fans. I've a growing disliking towards Max Kellerman, thought he was fairly disrespectful to Donaire after the fight.

It's helped massively with his promotion this though. Even the manner in which his 'good boy' comment became a catchphrase shows how effective even broken english is for connecting with the fans.

Agree on Kellerman. His lack of respect for the beaten fighter in the post-fight interviews infuriates me. He gets paid off the back of their work, someone needs to remind him of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭qwabercd

megadodge wrote: »
    Completely forgot about him, he has been so inactive.
    He certainly would be a test if he stayed active and fit.

Yeah he's had bad problems with the back, hard to see him making a proper return as he's not young.

Advertisement