Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coaching questions

• 15-09-2014 7:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭

Started coaching kids recently, have a few questions, wheres the best place to discuss?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Might as well do it here

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Stick your questions here, a lot of coaches on this forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

My motto is to make EVERY player walk out the gate feeling a little taller than he did when walked in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Three things, I emphasis at every session for kids. Work on your bad foot, hand pass with bad hand and aim for the crossbar every time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Three things, I emphasis at every session for kids. Work on your bad foot, hand pass with bad hand and aim for the crossbar every time.

I never call it their bad foot - negative connotations straight away there. I tell them work on their other foot, takes the negative part of out it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Get plenty help.
    Keep groups as small as possible to increase participation.
    Do not have them standing around listening to you for more than 30 seconds/1 minute.
    Do not have them standing around waiting for a turn. Each child should have a ball at almost all times.
    Oh, and did I mention, get plenty help !

• Registered Users Posts: 25 DunedinOg

Started coaching kids recently, have a few questions, wheres the best place to discuss?

Some good pointers from other posters already but what kind of advice are specifically looking for? Coaching tips or general advice?

For the basics, I'd echo the comments of other posters. You should always consider how you can design your sessions so that the kids will enjoy them. However, your sessions should also have a goal or more importantly a block of sessions should have a goal(s). For example, you might focus on catching and hand passing for 6 weeks, then soloing and kicking/striking for 6 weeks. That's not say you don't work on anything else but that you prioritise certain skills at certain times and always include work on the non-dominant side. The type of session will, in part, be influenced by the age group you're working with but you can do a lot of the same basic drills and games with slight modifications for any age group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

thanks lads. OK, started 5 years ago helping out with me young one but witha few other things going on, mainly coaching a mens soccer club, wasnt able to commit fully until late last year when I gave up the soccer (should ahve done it years ago). Theres 5 of us for an u11 side. got about 25 in the squad.

I'm pretty happy I carry out the basics mentioned above, every player is important, its not about how good any of them are, its about progress, make every child feel they did something good. Ive read everything Philip kerr has written, genius as far as Im concerned, not that he seems to know so much but he's made it freely available, gave me great starting points. Ive watched every totalgaa coaching video. Ive read everything on the ulster gaa site. (why doesnt the GAA itself have this?). Ive been putting into practice for a while now. Ive done foundation 1 and waiting for suitable time for next level.

Heres the questions.

With such a big squad, every child has to play, we've about a spine of strong 10 players, 6-7 mediocre, and 7-8 weak. u11 games are non-competitive but become competitive in the spring. With such a large squad, do you play the spine and rotate the weak or Do you go with a half of strong and a half of weak players or try and balance?

Some players are weak due to inexperience. Some of these try hard and this is the biggest driving factor for me, seeing improvement in these players. these will come on. Im not worried about these. Its the potential that we work on.

Some players are weak due to athletic ability, nutrition comes into play, maybe overweight, poor range of movement. This is home life. How do you sensitively address this, do you talk to parents or do you just keep encouraging and hope they come on, do you hand out nutrition sheets, what to eat to become athletes? Id have no problems doing this with adults or older teens but 10-11 yr olds, Im not sure what to do.

Some players are weak due to commitment. Mams or dads drop them off as something to do. You know the type. We may have only a select few of these but they are there, do these get same game time when we get competitive? GAA says they do, we try and encourage but only so much we can do and find ourselves concentrating on those that try hardest (level not withstanding).
    Do we speak with parents if theyre not getting same or any game time as other kids?

Anyway, thanks for any thoughts on above. I'll probably have more later as season wears on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Is the season not winding down now?

You can only do so much.
    Get the basics right.
    Have a stable environment for the kids each week.
    Praise them.
    Set targets for them, test them - skills tests are reward them.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Is the season not winding down now?

You can only do so much.
    Get the basics right.
    Have a stable environment for the kids each week.
    Praise them.
    Set targets for them, test them - skills tests are reward them.

thats all being done, we're working on core skills as per development stages. Im happy we've got basics right. My questions are outside the "what should I be coaching" type.
    you are right, the season is in the non-competiive stage but my questions are pointed at that if you go through them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Where does this come from exactly, have heard it from a lot of people..makes zero sense. I always tell young fellas to keep it low when going for goal and put the foot through the ball and drive it well over when shooting for points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Where does this come from exactly, have heard it from a lot of people..makes zero sense. I always tell young fellas to keep it low when going for goal and put the foot through the ball and drive it well over when shooting for points.

My thinking behind it this. Generally in underage games a point is 3 and a goal is 1, so points would be the better option. I find that when younger kids try and kick a point they kick it as high and a hard as they can and it ends up anywhere. Where as if they try and hit the cross bar they are more controlled.

When they move up and the scoring system is normal the goal keepers can't reach the cross bar and would be very low to the ground. So if you aim for the crossbar you have a high chance of a goal if it ducks under.

If you hit low at a 4 foot keeper they would low that.

My thinking behind it this. Generally in underage games a point is 3 and a goal is 1, so points would be the better option. I find that when younger kids try and kick a point they kick it as high and a hard as they can and it ends up anywhere. Where as if they try and hit the cross bar they are more controlled.

When they move up and the scoring system is normal the goal keepers can't reach the cross bar and would be very low to the ground. So if you aim for the crossbar you have a high chance of a goal if it ducks under.

If you hit low at a 4 foot keeper they would low that.

I was told that Aim for the crossbar idea came from control of a punt pass. Common errors in punt pass kicking are too high and too low. Concentrating on a hard foot aiming for the cross bar can work that out. Set up a players 5 steps either side of the cross bar so distance is 10 between them. (Vary distance for age) practice aiming for that bar but making sure it's on target to the player behind. It'll go back and forth between the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

I was told that Aim for the crossbar idea came from control of a punt pass. Common errors in punt pass kicking are too high and too low. Concentrating on a hard foot aiming for the cross bar can work that out. Set up a players 5 steps either side of the cross bar so distance is 10 between them. (Vary distance for age) practice aiming for that bar but making sure it's on target to the player behind. It'll go back and forth between the players.

Yeah that sounds fine, using it in a drill practicing punt passing but no way I'd be advocating aiming for the crossbar in games at any age..what's the point when, as I said, the end goal is something completely different..even from under 14 onwards? If you give a 8 or 9 year old a habit like that it can take years to rid them of it.

Yeah that sounds fine, using it in a drill practicing punt passing but no way I'd be advocating aiming for the crossbar in games at any age..what's the point when, as I said, the end goal is something completely different..even from under 14 onwards? If you give a 8 or 9 year old a habit like that it can take years to rid them of it.

Agreed with that, that drill I suggested was for working on punt pass control only. Scoring in a Game situation, not at all.

Although if a young player could consistently hit the crossbar from varying distances intentionally, youve probably got a player who has good control anyway.

There is only so much you can do

encourage them
    motivate them with skills to practice and prizes for most improved and best at skill
    tell them what you want to learn and be able to do - expectation effect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭farmerval

Is it possible to enter two teams for next year? The last two years we have managed to field an A and D team at under 12. This way the weaker kids get plenty of games and usually at a standard where they are able to compete. We tend to have quite a few girls and some if them prefer the D grade as it's less intense and they enjoy it more. Both teams train together and if we need a few younger players to fill a team parents seem less perturbed if they are on the D team.
    Don't know your circumstances but this has worked well for us.

farmerval wrote: »
    Is it possible to enter two teams for next year? The last two years we have managed to field an A and D team at under 12. This way the weaker kids get plenty of games and usually at a standard where they are able to compete. We tend to have quite a few girls and some if them prefer the D grade as it's less intense and they enjoy it more. Both teams train together and if we need a few younger players to fill a team parents seem less perturbed if they are on the D team.
    Don't know your circumstances but this has worked well for us.

What were your numbers? We're finding that we only get 20 out for the non-competive games from a pool of about 25-26 which is to be expected. As you probably know if a player plays for the higher team they cant go back down so we're a bit stuck in that after we go competitive the second team wouldnt have enough to field a squad after the first 3 games if that trend continued.

If we had 30-32 then that would make the decision of a second team very do-able. We're toying with the idea of putting the second team in and fill out with a lower age group.

for anyone else, thanks for replying, Im happy enough with coaching methods and maxxing the potential of the players, making it enjoyable etc, my questions are not about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭farmerval

we had 25 altogether, plus we could get a few U10's as needed. Here in Tipperary U8, U10 and U12 is 11 a side for A,B, and C grade and D is 9 a side.
    I know we are lucky as a rural parish, we get a high constant turn out for games, apart from holidays almost all the kids are always there.
    The second team in the D competition has been great, it gives plenty of matches for the younger/weaker players and eases the pressure on the coaches as regard to getting/giving games to all. Here in South Tipp virtually all the D teams are second teams, generally made up of younger players and girls. We always have 4/5 girls at under 12, some want to play in the first team but most want to play in the second team so it works put fine. A few girls would not play in the first team, in hurling we only have one team and a few of the girls will train but not play matches.
    Hop it helps

farmerval wrote: »
    we had 25 altogether, plus we could get a few U10's as needed. Here in Tipperary U8, U10 and U12 is 11 a side for A,B, and C grade and D is 9 a side.
    I know we are lucky as a rural parish, we get a high constant turn out for games, apart from holidays almost all the kids are always there.
    The second team in the D competition has been great, it gives plenty of matches for the younger/weaker players and eases the pressure on the coaches as regard to getting/giving games to all. Here in South Tipp virtually all the D teams are second teams, generally made up of younger players and girls. We always have 4/5 girls at under 12, some want to play in the first team but most want to play in the second team so it works put fine. A few girls would not play in the first team, in hurling we only have one team and a few of the girls will train but not play matches.
    Hop it helps

Exact same scenario here. Im fairly sure A, B grade for those ages is min 9 max 13 dictated by whose got what numbers on any given match day.

I didnt know the D league was 9 players only, sounds like that could be a runner, I'll check that out. Thanks for that, appreciate time to respond.

• Advertisement

By rights, Under 10 should be 7 a side and Under 8 five a side. they'd get so many more touches of the ball.

I try to play mini games as much as possible at training, using poles for goalposts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Got involved with under 8 girls this year as my older lady was playing. 2 of us trained 15 to 20 kids. We worked on foot passing hand passing . Just kept it simple. Its amazing how kuch they improved over 5 months. Simple praise and encouragement Works a treat

Advertisement