Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brunch

Options
  • 14-09-2014 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

You know what we need in Ennis? A place that serves brunch.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Are there any brunch-specific dishes?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Maybe the Sherwood in the Tesco Shopping Centre? They tend to be pretty busy so you might have to queue for about 15 - 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Are there any brunch-specific dishes?

There are, but there is a bit more as well.

First, you need a place that opens at 10 or 10:30 and serves through say 1:00 PM. You also need a full bar, with bloody marys, mimosas, bellinis all made with fresh squeezed juices which are also on offer. The menu should have some breakfast options and a few lunch options.

Like eggs benedict, maybe a small fry up, bacon and eggs, omelettes, even pancakes. Throw in say a burger, light pasta dish, and maybe even offer a baked fish dish and you are set.

The idea is a light lunch or breakfasty selection mixed together with drinks.

I go out every Sunday in Dublin to grab brunch as in the past two years they have really started doing it right at a few places up there. It would be brilliant if they had something like that here. Here in Ennis on a Sunday you pretty much have to wait till noon for lunch as the options are limited.

Added bonus, no better way to deal with a sore head from the previous night out as well. ;)

http://lovindublin.com/dublin/7-epic-spots-sunday-brunch-dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Got ye now. Sounds fierce fancy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The Pepper Mill do all that except for the drink piece, their pancakes are delicious. Afternoon Tea is becoming more and more popular in places, Brunch might be next :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

All I could think about was the Simpsons when I read that post :D :Jacques: [on brunch] It's not quite breakfast, it's not quite lunch, but it comes with a slice of canteloupe at the end. You don't get completely what you would at breakfast, but you get a good meal.
    The way you described it would be the menu of most cafes but with alcohol attached?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭muggles

The Market Bar might be closest to getting there. It's definitely open on a Sun morning, they have a breakfast menu and they have the drinks licence. They also do cocktails so getting a bloody Mary and the likes shouldn't be an impossibility. I've never eaten here however so can't comment on quality of food.

All I could think about was the Simpsons when I read that post :D :Jacques: [on brunch] It's not quite breakfast, it's not quite lunch, but it comes with a slice of canteloupe at the end. You don't get completely what you would at breakfast, but you get a good meal.
    The way you described it would be the menu of most cafes but with alcohol attached?

Well basically, but it also has to be open 10:00 - 10:30 as if you wait later you are just doing lunch then.

See there is a whole brunch culture in many American cities these days. It also has another facet which is Sunday Tea events.

For example, say you go out on the Saturday night for drinks. You get up about tenish and then head out for brunch, with drinks, and you could be there until noon or even one. Then you will find night clubs that normally open at night open from 5-10 on Sundays for 'Sunday Tea' and you can grab a taxi home, have a few drinks while people arrive, then head back out to the club.

Best part, you are home in bed by midnight fresh and ready for work Monday morning.

But hey, I'll settle for eggs benedict with a Bloody Mary now sure. ;)

I had a brunch crew back when I was living in the states which consisted of about ten of us. I would love to have one in Ennis as well. It doesn't matter where you go out the night before or even if ye all go to different functions, you have reservations at a local place that serves brunch and you all call in for great food, craic, and a bit of the cure. You get a chance to recover and chat with mates about the previous evening.

muggles wrote: »
    The Market Bar might be closest to getting there. It's definitely open on a Sun morning, they have a breakfast menu and they have the drinks licence. They also do cocktails so getting a bloody Mary and the likes shouldn't be an impossibility. I've never eaten here however so can't comment on quality of food.

That actually sounds very promising!

This place was a staple back when I lived in RVA. Did brunch here often. This place only opens Saturday and Sunday and just for brunch and you really need to get a reservation a week in advance as they are always busy.

http://www.yelp.ie/biz/lulus-restaurant-richmond?osq=Sunday+Brunch

Here was another one we frequented. They had a large outdoor patio area which was brilliant in the summer. Pitchers of mimosas with a summer breeze really sorts out a sick head from the night before. :)

http://www.yelp.ie/biz/the-sidewalk-caf%C3%A9-richmond-2?osq=Sunday+Brunch

I'm just saying it's a whole concept with a big market which has yet to be tapped in Ennis. You would be surprised at the number of people who would be up for a bit of proper grub and drinks at 10 am on Saturday and Sunday morning.

I mean, you could do all that and then watch the match after sure. Many Americans go to brunch then stay at the place to watch American football or by the time you finish pop down to another pub to watch sports. Lots of possibilities!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭johnam

Slight problem in that Alcohol cannot be served on a Sunday until 12.30 unless the bar has an early house licence.

johnam wrote: »
    Slight problem in that Alcohol cannot be served on a Sunday until 12.30 unless the bar has an early house licence.

Can restaurants not serve earlier with meals? Like on Good Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭johnam

CptSternn wrote: »
    Can restaurants not serve earlier with meals? Like on Good Friday?
    There is a difference between a Restaurant Wine Licence and a Pub Licence.
    From my understanding CptSternn the Good Friday exemption you are referring to only applies to Hotel restaurants provided that you are a guest of the hotel. See bottom of page from this Restaurant Association of Ireland webpage

However this article from the Irish Independant shows judge Fahy decided not to record convictions against 9 Galway pubs that were being prosecuted for selling alcohol on Good Friday, so there is hope yet that this law will be changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

muggles wrote: »

Had a really good breakfast in there last week.. It was 13eu but steak, chips toast tea coffee with your standard full irish. Didn't eat again for most of the day. Was never there before. Nice staff and decent food

Advertisement