Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agressive scammers operating in supermarket car parks

Options
  • 10-09-2014 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭

Was minding my own business in the car in tesco ardkeen the other day, when bloke drove up right beside and started giving me some sob story about needing 4 euro for trip to dungarvan or something. He had a real intimidating stupid head on him , I said no . He then went drove off and started harassing other people who were just getting out of their cars. I had a word with the security guard in the area , they are getting contestant hassle from them. Seems to be two of them operating out of a silver Toyota avensis. They are from a well known Waterford family . I rang the cops about it . The next day I happened to be in the car park again this time one of them walked up to the car and I just waved him away. A few days later in lidl ardkeen car park , same thing bloke walking around pedalling rubbish to other people , hassling them as they were going about their business . After about 5 minutes bloke returns to the Toyota and other bloke drives off. They never stay too long in case cops arrive.Anybody else have to put with with this bul**** in the area. If you do could you please contact the guards or the supermarket so that we could try and get these scumbags stopped.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Think I know the people you are talking about , as a guy asked me for €3 one Saturday evening and said he had to drive to Limerick .

It was a Toyota avensis .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Take the van number and then just nip round the back of same and whack an apple into
    the exhaust pipe - engine will stall.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,887 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Don't be afraid to say what they are. They're travellers, and it's well known who they are. Same lad used to be constantly in the car park at the back of McDonalds/in front of the Autism Charity shop on the Cork Road. He tried it with me one day, while i was eating my food, and i told him no. He then started going on about have i ever been homeless or ever had to beg, and which stage i just starting ringing the Gardaí. He wasn't long leaving, but to the best of my knowledge, there's nothing the Gardaí can do about it. He's not doing anything illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

decies wrote: »
    Was minding my own business in the car in tesco ardkeen the other day, when bloke drove up right beside and started giving me some sob story about needing 4 euro for trip to dungarvan or something. He had a real intimidating stupid head on him , I said no . He then went drove off and started harassing other people who were just getting out of their cars. I had a word with the security guard in the area , they are getting contestant hassle from them. Seems to be two of them operating out of a silver Toyota avensis. They are from a well known Waterford family . I rang the cops about it . The next day I happened to be in the car park again this time one of them walked up to the car and I just waved him away. A few days later in lidl ardkeen car park , same thing bloke walking around pedalling rubbish to other people , hassling them as they were going about their business . After about 5 minutes bloke returns to the Toyota and other bloke drives off. They never stay too long in case cops arrive.Anybody else have to put with with this bul**** in the area. If you do could you please contact the guards or the supermarket so that we could try and get these scumbags stopped.

Sounds very like a member of a minority community whom has been carrying out the same in your face and very intimidating behaviour around Ferrybank for the past two years +. I have even seen this guy on a few occasions trying to wrangle his shopping for free with woeful excuses such as he will bring the money back later!

Passers through Ferrybank would know this guy as he parks his home on the dual carriage way and roundabouts in the Ferrybank Area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Baby4 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

They always bloody are.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

he was stood in the middle of the road one day outside the redbridge service station and flagged me down as i was driving the truck back to the depot looking for a bit of diesel told him to fcuk off and buy it in the garage that was right beside him that i was'nt gonna risk my job for the likes of him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭decies

Yep the reason i started this thread was A, to warn people and B, to try and encourage people to ring the guards and report them. At least that way by force of numbers something might be done. I was was pissed off myself encountering them 3 times in a couple of days. We should not be having to put up with this crap, so be on the look out , spread the word , and maybe just maybe something might be done .

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭1moo345

That guy used to always be around Mcdonalds, always hassling customers. Scum

the guards will do sweet F.A. about them, your better off just telling them where to go

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I had a similar guy ask me for money in Mcdonalds car park last year he said something like he missed the bus to cork and was short money to get a room in the travel lodge and a few weeks ago another guy in the new maxol on the cork road asked me for money as he needed to get to cork but he was driving a banged up micra and was actually putting petrol into the car

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭blackwave

Hasn't happened to me in Waterford but I am rarely down that way anymore. But I had this happen to me a few times in a petrol station in Wexford, where I would be eating my food in the car and I would be approached by a Traveller who would have a sob story of not having enough diesel to get home and that he needed €2, showed me his license and just tried to plamas me into giving him the money. I said no straight out and he went on his way, a few weeks later a different member of his family tried the same tactic with me and I told him the same thing. I seen the two of them get into red van afterwards driving on without needing to go to the pump for a sup of diesel :P Apparently they do it the whole time in Ross as well according to my friend who works in a petrol station.

The sheer neck of them is what gets me. I won't say anymore on my feelings about them, as I don't want a warning :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago in tesco ardkeen. Obviously suggested he jog on. But wondered afterwards, it's probably costing him more in fuel driving around than he could make in €2 donations. Dunno, 21st century and the lowlifes still thinking they can scam people and pass themselves off as an endangered species :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PremierDeise

Was in the Bus Station earlier today. Told him to fcuk off. He then went in and checked the coin things for the bathrooms.
    He is constantly at it - would be outside what was Delicatas in Ferrybank constantly at it.

Would i be thinking of the same lad - ginger hair, silver avensis, seems to feed the "baba" on a diet of chips and battered sausages :)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppies2

Was in the Bus Station earlier today. Told him to fcuk off. He then went in and checked the coin things for the bathrooms.
    He is constantly at it - would be outside what was Delicatas in Ferrybank constantly at it.

Would i be thinking of the same lad - ginger hair, silver avensis, seems to feed the "baba" on a diet of chips and battered sausages :)

That's the fella I was thinking of when reading the above. Was at the bus stop waiting for the Ferrybank bus on the quay outside Kelly's one day and he walked up to everyone there looking for money so he could pay the fare for himself and the wife. He then went into the shop and bought crisps, chocolate and sweets and got on the bus without paying!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

It seems that as there is a large event on in the city this weekend that the other group of scammers (Roma) have increased their population in the city 10 fold !

I have just come back from town and they are everywhere - I guarantee you if the Harvest Festival wasn't on that their would be very few of them about.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,887 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

old gregg wrote: »
    But wondered afterwards, it's probably costing him more in fuel driving around than he could make in €2 donations.

Gonna put this out there, and it's just speculation, but i'd say he doesn't spend too much on diesel, but always has it... Not accusing him or anything, don't need another infraction because of a "traveller" (which, in my opinion, he is not, as he is no longer a nomad, and that's what is the base definition of a traveller - for a different conversation though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

That guy is well known I think for that carry on. He asked me for money before also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Jambo wrote:
    It seems that as there is a large event on in the city this weekend that the other group of scammers (Roma) have increased their population in the city 10 fold !

My simple and guiltless retort to their begging is "**** off". They prey on peoples inner bob geldof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

the guards will do sweet F.A. about them, your better off just telling them where to go

Could you enlighten me on what the gardai can do?

Please tell me what law he has broken?

I don't agree with this type of begging, but I really despise people who then bitch about the gardai doing nothing just for the sake of it.

Just say no and walk away. But don't blame the gardai! Jeez!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

delahuntv wrote: »

I don't agree with this type of begging, but I really despise people who then bitch about the gardai doing nothing just for the sake of it.

He could be done for aggressive begging.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It not the 2 euro he is asking for, its the access to what you have in your bag, how susceptible you are, how seriously you take your security that he is after in my opinion.

The gardai have said they cannot do anything about him annoying customers / begging.

A few times he has approached me, but he doesn't anymore. I say 'HIS NAME' , no you can't have €2. He has gotten to the point where he recognises the cars that he will get nowhere with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭gw80

One of these guys is driving a 141 mazda estate, and thats not the model number, thats the year, he,s after asking me numerous times for money, I just say no thanks and carry on with what im at,

Wish I could afford a new car,there must be a lot of suckers out there handing over money to these parisites

How does the song go? "only fools and horses work"

they do sweet F.A. bout chasing after the roma beggers in fact i know a fella who had a shop in town that used to do that because the gardai were'nt and it was affecting his business havin them sat outside day in day out begging for change!!!and in fact 20 guards and i aint lieing were sent down to arrest him for catching two romas robbing a man in a wheelchair and giving them a few slaps for it

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Deisedayo

Same guy came up to me a few weeks ago. Mcdonalds car park. Asking for €5 low on fuel to get to dungarvan. Told him to go away

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

blackwave wrote: »
    Hasn't happened to me in Waterford but I am rarely down that way anymore. But I had this happen to me a few times in a petrol station in Wexford, where I would be eating my food in the car and I would be approached by a Traveller who would have a sob story of not having enough diesel to get home and that he needed €2, showed me his license and just tried to plamas me into giving him the money. I said no straight out and he went on his way, a few weeks later a different member of his family tried the same tactic with me and I told him the same thing. I seen the two of them get into red van afterwards driving on without needing to go to the pump for a sup of diesel :P Apparently they do it the whole time in Ross as well according to my friend who works in a petrol station.

The sheer neck of them is what gets me. I won't say anymore on my feelings about them, as I don't want a warning :pac:

next time, tell him to put a tenner into the car and you'll go in and pay for it. see what he does then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

I would take his form of begging over actual physically aggressive begging any day. Back around April I was was in a rush walking down the quay by the Granary. This girl jumped out in front of me while I walking fairly quickly and I just managed to dodge her at the last second to avoid bumping into her. As I was walking past I heard her start to ask for money but when I didn't stop she called me a "four-eyed c**t" and heard her spit in my direction. I turned for a second and gave her a dirty look but she must have thought I was going to start something with her because she hit me and started grabbing my hair. Thankfully she was fairly slight so I just pushed her off and walked away. I haven't seen her in town since but she had been begging around the friary entrance to City Square previous to this.

As I pushed her away she yelled "don't you know who I am?!" which leads me to believe she's from a well known group/family. She was fairly short, dark/black hair, fairly young (16 - 20ish) and I think missing a front tooth.

JenniFurr wrote: »
    I would take his form of begging over actual physically aggressive begging any day. Back around April I was was in a rush walking down the quay by the Granary. This girl jumped out in front of me while I walking fairly quickly and I just managed to dodge her at the last second to avoid bumping into her. As I was walking past I heard her start to ask for money but when I didn't stop she called me a "four-eyed c**t" and heard her spit in my direction. I turned for a second and gave her a dirty look but she must have thought I was going to start something with her because she hit me and started grabbing my hair. Thankfully she was fairly slight so I just pushed her off and walked away. I haven't seen her in town since but she had been begging around the friary entrance to City Square previous to this.

As I pushed her away she yelled "don't you know who I am?!" which leads me to believe she's from a well known group/family. She was fairly short, dark/black hair, fairly young (16 - 20ish) and I think missing a front tooth.

She'd be missing a second if it had of been me she done it to haha

poppies2 wrote: »
    That's the fella I was thinking of when reading the above. Was at the bus stop waiting for the Ferrybank bus on the quay outside Kelly's one day and he walked up to everyone there looking for money so he could pay the fare for himself and the wife. He then went into the shop and bought crisps, chocolate and sweets and got on the bus without paying!

He had the "mobile home" (see what i did there to avoid discrimination :rolleyes: ) parked on the rockshire road for a long time and would not move for anyone even the guards - that is until the chap who lived in the house he was parked outside made him aware of his hunting gun :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

aggressive begging as another poster put it, extorting money from people, not using a direct threat of violence, but the intimidation using fear of what they know you suspect.
    Not just happening in Waterford, got the same story myself, I listened as I wasn't absolutely certain of the background, thought I might be able to offer free help, a jump start or something, Id even be wary of giving that help, they dont want to know us just to scam us, I dont want to know them for concern of getting hassle, scammed, just the inconvenience of dealing with them and the potential of it turning nasty.

Best thing is, say no, call the Gardai, well we know they will do fcuk all, maybe suggest they send a car down or better still talk to the manager of the retailer you are going to and tell them if they dont apply pressure to the gardai, you'll spread it online and take your business with you as you dont want to be intimidated when you are buying off them.

Advertisement