Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick animal with a Black nose

Options
  • 27-08-2014 10:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭

Just wondering does anyone know a cure or cause of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We've never had it but I think that might be a sensitivity to light.. BIL's bull had something similar, started brown crusty first...

Photosensitivity..

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭agriman27

You'll have to inject with an antihistamine injection, vet says its caused by an allergic reaction to something they eat, I recently read online somewhere that too much buttercup is the cause nobody knows for sure. Keep her in for at least ten days in the darkest shed you have

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭Deano7

agriman27 wrote: »
    You'll have to inject with an antihistamine injection, vet says its caused by an allergic reaction to something they eat, I recently read online somewhere that too much buttercup is the cause nobody knows for sure. Keep her in for at least ten days in the darkest shed you have

Turns out it's brown snout and it effects their liver quite bad.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

'Brown Snout' is a local name for Photosensitisation.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

greysides wrote: »
    'Brown Snout' is a local name for Photosensitisation.

They're also very prone to it coming back... I know the bull I mentioned above got it back and was culled as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Dont be daft

agriman27 wrote: »

I heard St. Johns Wort could cause it too.

Something to do with the liver, either can't create a vital chemical or creates a bad chemical.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I heard St. Johns Wort could cause it too.

Something to do with the liver, either can't create a vital chemical or creates a bad chemical.

Three types of Photosensitisation:

1. Congenital- ignore, rare,
    2. Primary- too much photodynamic agent in forage for liver to cope with, spills over into bloodstream.
    3. Hepatogenous- liver under pressure from a chemical unable to cope with normal amounts of photodynamic agent. Chemical source most often is a plant poisoning.

So basically, most of the time intake of plant material is to blame.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

I had an animal like that. I thought the condition was called brown nose? I took him into the shed. Gave him copper. If was probably a bit to do liver fluke damage I thought. He shed the skin off his nose after a few weeks and came on.

Advertisement