Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

aldi sun cream

Options
  • 03-09-2014 3:40am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

bought some aldi factor 30 sun cream yesterday for, wait for it..............1.99 euro. incredibly cheap, compared to other sun creams.

just wondering what are people's thoughts on a sun cream that is so cheap ?

is it safe do you think ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

bought some aldi factor 30 sun cream yesterday for, wait for it..............1.99 euro. incredibly cheap, compared to other sun creams.

just wondering what are people's thoughts on a sun cream that is so cheap ?

is it safe do you think ?
    I bought some last week myself for our holidays. It got great reviews and passed a which? test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

I love the stuff, doesn't clog my pores smells lovely. It works really well too. I wear the factor 50.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

I bought some last week myself for our holidays. It got great reviews and passed a which? test.

did you use it yet though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Expensive doesn't always mean higher quality. Some of the more expensive suncreams have previously been shown to be way worse than some budget brands.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10833925/Sun-cream-tests-show-most-expensive-is-not-always-best.html

Expensive doesn't always mean higher quality. Some of the more expensive suncreams have previously been shown to be way worse than some budget brands.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10833925/Sun-cream-tests-show-most-expensive-is-not-always-best.html

thanks, gas the way its about 8 times cheaper or more than the "reputable " brands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

I.v used several of their sun creams during the fine weather. I.m outdoors from dawn to dusk, and I found it brilliant,
    and if you misplaced a bottle, because it was so reasonable, it was.nt a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

have being using it on myself and the kids for the last two summers including hols in spain. Excellent and great value.

thanks for all the comments. looks like ill be spending max 10 euro this year on sun cream : )

I.v used several of their sun creams during the fine weather. I.m outdoors from dawn to dusk, and I found it brilliant,
    and if you misplaced a bottle, because it was so reasonable, it was.nt a big deal.

is it hard to apply though ? like is it really thick ?

On my face, I use the La Cura Anti Skin Ageing Sun Cream, Factor 50. It is slightly thick, maybe because it also has
    a moisturiser built in. It spreads well.
    I love the spray on stuff, as it can get to hard to get to places. It is in an orange can, and is a clear sun spray, factor 30, quick dry. It sprays like a deodorant. Dead easy to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

I love that spray, its great. Saving if for my holiday in november.

attached is the one I got

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I have been very impressed with the Calypso one, its like P20 but I find it better as it has a gel like consistency which makes it less likely to spill. I've got sensitive skin but have had no reactions and it was reduced the last time I bought it, bargain!

That seems to be the same as the one I have, but mine is Factor 30, and in an aerosol can.
    I dont do "attached images"....LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Betty Bloggs

I notice from the pic that Aldi one is 5 star protection which is great. Is it available year round or does it only come in at summer?
    Does it sit ok under makeup?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I've used Aldi suncreams too and find it great. I also love Malibu dry oil from Deals, I think it was €4.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

We used the Aldi factor 50 sunscreen, bought in June, in France during July.None of the little ms C's got the littlest bit sunburnt, despite only having one application of sunscreen( screaming and fighting stopped the next go)

the eldest ms C had strap marks for a day after being out all day (11-3pm) in the sun with it on, but these were gone the next day and may have been friction from being buried in coarse sand.

Me and Mrs C didn't get burnt at all, despite out regime of waking up, getting bread from breakfast, putting on aldi suncream, going out all day including having a few swims in the med, drying off with a towel etc.

Bang for the buck it's the best we've used by far

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

I use the Aldi Calypso all day sun screen in factor 20. It comes in 10 too, not sure if there's higher than 20. I find it great, put it on in the morning after my shower, get dressed and forget about it. I've been out in the sun a lot the last few weeks and have a great tan and no burning. Highly recommend it for less than €2.

For anyone interested, Which? did an article about sunscreens which shows some of the higher brands didn't offer sufficient protection whereas Lidl and Aldi did.
    Link: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/the-cream-of-the-crop-which-survey-finds-some-sun-creams-falling-short-in-the-protection-stakes-9380267.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Are these still in shops? Booked a last minute holiday to turkey and I'm not prepared. I normally get P20 bit so so expensive :(

ArtyC wrote: »
    Are these still in shops? Booked a last minute holiday to turkey and I'm not prepared. I normally get P20 bit so so expensive :(

the stuff I took a picture of was in shops yesterday anyways ; )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

An update on the aldi sun cream; I used it on my red headed child and my 16 month old on holidays (sunny, hot weather) and neither of them burned in the slightest or had any reaction to it. By contrast, they both had a huge reaction to the la Roche posay kids one earlier this summer. So it's thumbs up from us for aldi sun cream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Own brand sun cream in Germany is always about €1,5 - €2 a bottle in any drug store. I Dont know way boots charges so much for their own brand one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Just back from holidays- another thumbs up for aldi suncream ;)

OP here. like posters above, I'm back from holidays too and happy to report that the Aldi sun cream worked a treat. I have fair enough skin and suffered no sun burn.

I know where I'll be going in future for suncream ; )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I was in Spain a few weeks ago. Temperatures were in the 30's for most of the week and I used Aldi suncream factor 30. Absolutely perfect. No burning, no reaction or anything. Was with a friend of mine who had brought La Roche Posay with her and hers ran out before the end of the holiday. She was a bit sceptical about using the Aldi one, but couldn't believe how good it was. We'll both definitely purchase it again. Absolute bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Katielanie

I'm just back from holidays and used aldi factor 30 -- absolutely no complaints! It's not the absolute best but does the job and good value for the price i think

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

We used all Aldi suncreams on holidays this year too. I got the face cream one, factors 30 and 15 for me and the 50 waterproof kid's one for my son and all were really brilliant. Reason for buying was that money was very tight, also had read good reviews on them. I tested them on our skin beforehand and had no reactions from either of us, neither of us burned either despite the Greek sun being well into the 40's most days. I got all of them for less than I would have spent on a branded one - I won't be buying big brand ones ever again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Anyone have an iota of the best value sunscreen currently?

Advertisement