Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycle lights knog blinder

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭SteM

I was looking for lights for my bike today and I chose knog blinders in halfords , they seemed really good quality and cost 15 euro each (front and back ) I decided to check net for reviews on them and they got great review, what is noticed is they seem to retail at 30 euros each and more on other sites , plus postage on top.

They're not even on halfords web site , I'm wondering if price is a error?

So I got front and back for 30 euro.

They have a rechargeable battery that you charge through USB , and have a nice clasp that fits most bikes .

I'll put a link that I can find to get reviews on these.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/knog-blinder-4-standard-led-front-light/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=knog%20blinder&utm_campaign=RTC2013_knog&KEYWORD=knog%20blinder&MATCHTYPE=Search&AD_ID_G=45944445088&KEYWORD_K=knog%20blinder&TRACKING_ID_K=926962&CHANNEL_K=google&CAMPAIGN_K=RTC2013_knog&AdGROUP_K=MS_Knog_Blinder&gclid=Cj0KEQjw7IWgBRCjv8Cv4vfC3ckBEiQAE7nvR8eR9LlfvtM8jB3MgxkmApu4Rx6mu96SpNkZKprcY38aAoRL8P8HAQ

Went up to halfords in tallaght. They had the front ones marked down to €15 but the rear ones were still at full price. Not sure if I'd pay full price for them to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Cheers OP

Go well with my lycra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Plenty of them in Carrickmines. Think they are reduced cause they are past their best before date...:eek: Says the "Recommended First Charge June 2014" on many of them. Can't see this being a major issue but probably been on the shelf for a long time and they need to get them shifted.

Wasn't able to test them so not sure how good/bad they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I tested them yesterday and their very strong lights , on flash I'd imagine anyone with epilepsy would stay clear of these .

I was wondering then if I faced them to high would it interfere with other road users because they seem that bright. Maybe it's just me being in same room ?

I didn't check packaging about best before date . I'll keep receipt anyway , I have 12 month warranty .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,870 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I was wondering then if I faced them to high would it interfere with other road users because they seem that bright.

It's fine having them up and don't interfere with other drivers, but in fact make them more aware of you.

Perhaps on darkened country lanes they may be an issue, but making yourself more stand-out on the road is a priority.

I tested them yesterday and their very strong lights , on flash I'd imagine anyone with epilepsy would stay clear of these .

I was wondering then if I faced them to high would it interfere with other road users because they seem that bright. Maybe it's just me being in same room ?

I didn't check packaging about best before date . I'll keep receipt anyway , I have 12 month warranty .

They're called 'Blinder' for a reason!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I got front and back in Halfords in Galway, they had a few left hanging on a hook marked at 30 something euro but were 15 euro each the till.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Good man op. Was looking for something for the dusk runs home. That'll do. Checked blanch and sold out. Got the last rear in Swords. Few fronts left. Or the other way around. One of them anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Picked up a few of these yesterday. Plenty of these in Swords Airside. Says 42 EUR each above them but scanning at 15 EUR.

Btw, I can see why they're called "blinder". I thought it was a great idea to look straight at them while testing if they had any charge off the shelf. They do btw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

If only there was a way to stop people nicking them as soon as you leave the bike for a few mins.

Take them with you. it's a fairly effortless harnessing system

At least make them put some effort in if they're nicking them. Glue them to your bike :D
    If only there was a way to stop people nicking them as soon as you leave the bike for a few mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,870 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

At least make them put some effort in if they're nicking them. Glue them to your bike :D

Strategically placed needles is another gem... but if they're going to go to that much effort to remove a light they'll probably just try to take the bike instead.

Alternatively don't ever park your bike outside. This rule has served me well. 10 years and no bike stolen yet *knocks on desk*

MugMugs wrote: »
    Take them with you. it's a fairly effortless harnessing system

Exactly, they're small, light and attach easily. I wouldn't leave mine on the bike ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 horseireland

Got a pair in Tralee today 30euro bargain thanks, loads left.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

has anyone been into the store in coolock to see if there are any?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Couldnt find any in their Naas branch either...

W.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭terencemc

did anyone check carrickmines today...might go tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Would the rubber mounting part degrade a lot if you were taking them on and off each day I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Thanks OP! Picked up a pair in Coolock last night. They're very impressive. There was one pair left as of 6pm last night. They're €15 marked down from €42.99 to the right of the counter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

terencemc wrote: »
    did anyone check carrickmines today...might go tomorrow

All out there checked two days ago - unless they restocked since

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭muggles

They're in stock in Halfords Limerick if any use to anyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Was in drogheda today. They had never heard of them. Hopefully airside will have some at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

All out there checked two days ago - unless they restocked since

Picked up front and back lights this evening in Carrickmines. Listed at €42 each on shelf. Red sticker on box stated recommended recharge date June 2014. So got them for €15 each. About four of each left.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cabo

Picked up a set in airside today.. About 4 sets left, listed at €42 but scanning at €15 each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Was in drogheda today. They had never heard of them. Hopefully airside will have some at the weekend.

That really just sums up the general bike knowledge of the staff in Halfords in Drogheda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

No these are lights with 4 LEDs, seem to be going for about £25 on
    amazon.

They seem to have restocked them in Tallaght, however they were scanning through the till at full price (42.99).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 212 ✭✭Rotunda Shill

How long do the batteries last in these things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Hi folks

Just back from the Naas store, none of the blinders - Knog Frog strobe front lights (red & white) reduced to €5. Listed at €11.95, with black still that price.

Seem to be a bit more than that in other places. Single led powered by 2 x CR2032 batteries. No rears in Naas at least.

Paddy

How long do the batteries last in these things?
    About 5 hours on constant.

Easily charged by USB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

How stretchy are the bands. I've an oversized seat post and a lot of my light mounts won't fit it. Not quite sure where I'll fit a light tbh.

The front would fit but there's none left. Those coin battery ones would work but it doubt they are that bright or how expensive it would be keeping them in batteries.

Could easily extend it with a bit of rubber or strong twine.
    beauf wrote: »
    How stretchy are the bands. I've an oversized seat post and a lot of my light mounts won't fit it. Not quite sure where I'll fit a light tbh.

The front would fit but there's none left. Those coin battery ones would work but it doubt they are that bright or how expensive it would be keeping them in batteries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭Invincible

beauf wrote: »

Those batteries can be got cheap off eBay from China usually.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Could easily extend it with a bit of rubber or strong twine.

I was wondering that. Hard to judge with it in the box.
    Invincible wrote: »
    Those batteries can be got cheap off eBay from China usually.

True I find cheaper batteries last a fraction of the time of a good brand, in my bike lights anyway. Anyway constantly swapping batteries would be something I'd want to avoid. As they tend lose a lot a brightness when batteries run low. Which they'd be doing more often if you had to change them a lot.

The big plus about a rechargeable would be you can top if off at work giving you 100% brightness on the way home.

If they are cheap and small enough I guess its not that big a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Fathead

One front left in Carrickmines. Its at the counter by the till not on the shop floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Fathead wrote: »
    One front left in Carrickmines. Its at the counter by the till not on the shop floor.

Wife got it for me:D Wasn't going thru at the discounted price.. but she persisted and got it for €15. Build quality is fantastic.. wish now I had got finger out and got the back too. Had looked at them over a week back originally but in true BA style I couldn't resist.

Thanks OP..

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

Halfords Limerick were all gone when I got in there on the 7th. Two nice empty shelf spaces staring back at me. They did have other knog LEDs but they were scanning at full whack so didn't go ahead with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I got two of the black faced blinders in liffey valley, once they have the first recharge by June 2014 they are to be discounted, they had two left and they are first recharge by August 2014

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I picked a pair up in Sligo, there were another two sets still there. Noticed in the instructions it said to repeat the charge if they had been unused for six months so given the sticker on them I did that. The front set seemed to go through a second charge, the rear one turned green within a minute. Bands stretch pretty well, quite happy with mine so far. Thanks OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Borderfox wrote: »
    I got two of the black faced blinders in liffey valley, once they have the first recharge by June 2014 they are to be discounted, they had two left and they are first recharge by August 2014

Just to check Borderfox, were the ones with June 2014 on them discounted automatically when scanned at the till or did you have to make a case for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Carlosthejakal

Was in airside yesterday about 10 left. In Blanchardstown and they had about 8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭thegift06

Was in airside yesterday about 10 left. In Blanchardstown and they had about 8

Yeh but arent they full price. I Rang airside and asked to scan the knog blinder and he told me it scanned at €42 and was in liffey valley last week where they were all full price. Can anyone tell me if they can see anymore discounted ones please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

anyone if theres some left in mahon? Id hate to get two buses and them to be out, thanks OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭clevtrev

diograis wrote: »
    anyone if theres some left in mahon? Id hate to get two buses and them to be out, thanks OP

you could always cycle before it gets dark :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Mike1961

i was in coolock on tuesday and saw that they had a few with june / august charge dates. They were scanning at 42.99 and manager wasnt on site so no chance of any reduction. I rang them today and spoke to manager (sound fella is Arnie) and he agreed to sell for 15 ... so I bought a pair. Normally I wouldn't pay 15 for a light let alone 42.99 but ITS A BARGAIN SO I COULDN'T RESIST. Btw thanks OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

penguin88 wrote: »
    Just to check Borderfox, were the ones with June 2014 on them discounted automatically when scanned at the till or did you have to make a case for this?

I had to ask as they were scanning as 42 a quick phone call sorted it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Just picked up the last front light in Blanch. They were marked as €42.99 on the shelf but scanned at €15. Got a further 10% discount with the AXA card so got it for €13.50. There's still 4 rear lights left in Blanch.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭muggles

I suppose I'm hoping against hope that anyone might have spotted a front Knog Blinder at the reduced price left around the country at this stage??

Picked up a front & rear when OP posted the bargain alert a few weeks back (thanks once again!). Unfortunately my front light met an unhappy end the other evening. Rang Halfords in Limerick, was told they had the last one in stock but when I went in it only had the one LED light rather than the four. I picked it up for a tenner but would love to get my hands on the four LED Blinder again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement