Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BPH or Prostatitis

Options
  • 28-08-2014 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi,
    Firstly let me stress - I'm not looking for medical advice - I get that for 50 euro from my doctor.

To all the men out there who read the Gentlemen Forum. Im curios Has anyone been diagnosed with this? How has it affected you? affected your partner?

Im "youngish" was diagnosed with this last week, I was told Id be on the tablets for the rest of my life (no problem here), however the side effects are to my mind horrendous.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Welcome OP, hopefully you get some useful information out of this thread which we're all for. I've added some info on BPH for others (such as myself) who don't know all that much about it
    Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). BPH, also known as an enlarged prostate, is growth of the prostate gland to an unhealthy size. A man's chances of having BPH go up with age:

Age 31-40: one in 12
    Age 51-60: about one in two
    Over age 80: more than eight in 10
    However, only about half of men ever have BPH symptoms that need treatment. BPH does not lead to prostate cancer, although both are common in older men.

Out of interest - am I correct to assume your diet now has to change also?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I had a couple of flare ups of prostatitis(the non infectious agent one). Once in my late 20's and again in my late 30's. No obvious cause either, though I did have higher than average testosterone levels* and I personally reckon that was a factor(though the docs didn't). Luckly my symptoms were low level, a feeling of heaviness in the area if I was actually trying to feel it, but my main symptom and the worse by far was sexual. More to the point after sex. *TMI alert* Post ejaculation I had pain and an overwhelming urge to pee, but peeing didn't relieve it, indeed made this pain and urge to pee even worse. Horrible horrible sensation and would put you off sex, or at least "finishing". Over a period of about 8 months these symptoms went away on their own so I was lucky and it wasn't a lifetime thing. I feel for you man.

*IIRC the average(and I can't recall the units of measurement) is between 300 and 500 and I was above 900. Dunno if I still have elevated levels, haven't gotten it checked in nigh on a decade.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭The Purveyor of Truth

Yes, was diagnosed with it and the treatment was throwaway at best. Was told I would have to take tablets for life also but felt worse on them and so decided to try other alternative treatments, most without success. Acupuncture etc etc. Osteopathy helped my symptoms for sure but what helped me most was when I came across some guy who had it online, a taxi driver I think, who had it and started to eat a mainly raw food diet with zero processed foods. He was crying in the video just remembering the symptoms and so I thought 'yep, he must have had it' and so I started to eat lots of raw food and then researched it further and there is a school of thought out there that it is mainly a fungal problem, rather than bacterial, which lies at the heart of it (same is now being said of ear infection in fact) and so I focused on getting the flora balance in my system corrected (which is supposed to greatly reduce any fungal issues in the body). What I was reading, and hearing, was suggesting that Prostatitis was really the male equivalent of female thrush and so that explained, in my mind at least, why I felt so much worse when I took antibiotics.

I read everything I could on how to restore a healthy balance of flora in my body and so began to take Probiotics (Ohhira's Essential Formula was the one I took), and Raw Coconut Oil (morning and night and it was the only oil I used to cook with also) and Camu Camu (it's just powdered cherries really, but is sky high in Vitamin C - Ascorbic Acid need nothing for me). I drank a lot of Licorice Tea, Coconut water and made some fresh green juices also.

Along with the above I just eat lots of fresh fruit, veg, salads and meat, as much of it organic as possible. I cut out all processed foods, including processed oils. The only grains I eat were a little rice and some sourdough bread (Blazing Salads in Dublin was were I bought that) and the only fats I eat were from Avocado (made fresh Guacamole with fresh garlic and parsley everyday - which is great for bringing with you to eat on the go) Nuts, Salmon and Coconut Oil.

Occasionally I would slip and eat Pizza or drink Club Orange or something, but I would always regret it, as the burning get really bad and I would just feel miserable for days or even weeks overall. In general, any form of bread (other than a little sourdough) would make be feel awful (and the same with anything with sugar in it). Flax seed crackers helped me steer clear of the stuff. Frying foods in another other than coconut oil would also make me feel dreadful.

Long story short: after eating this way and taking the probiotics, all my symptoms were gone after six months, only to return if I drank a lot, or eat horrendously for a few days. I still eat this way 75% of the time, while when starting out, it had to be 99% of the time. My mood picked up greatly after around four weeks of starting to change how I eat also, which I really was greatful for, as I was really down when my symptoms were at their worst.

In saying all that, many people do recover with mainstream treatments and if you go that route, I hope it works for you and there is of course every chance that it will, I just wasn't one of those people unfortunately but I am so thankful that I did recover. Whatever you choose to do, best of luck with it, as it sure is an awful bloody thing to live with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 sserdda

D'Agger wrote: »

Out of interest - am I correct to assume your diet now has to change also?

Doc suggested nothing about diet. I was put on tablets the side effects were impotence, retrograde ejaculation, loss libido etc etc. Very bad pain on peeing - or trying to pee. The real killer is the "tingling", which is always there running from back to front.

I was told Id be on them for life. There is a history of prostate cancer in the family (everyone bar the women got it / have it). I think Id prefer this as its curable and there is an end in sight.

I have been very tired all week and very "low" - emotional.
    Although today is much better.

I went back to the doc on Monday and asked him about the side affects, he gave me a couple of blue tablets. - not what I wanted or needed.

I told my o/h last night. Apologies if Im going on a bit - but its not exactly a conversation you have every day.

I think (with the mods permission) Ill keep updating my progress over the next few weeks.

As a bye or leave, my twin was admitted to Lukes yesterday, so even if I wanted to discuss this with my extended family, the timing is not right at the moment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

On the diet front when I had the flareups I found beer really made it worse, but wine had no effect. Maybe the beer increased the fungus if present? Interesting reading on the diet front. With the added benefit of positively impacting your life on every other health front too.

Sorry to hear of your twin. Hope things go OK there.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Aye - I'm very surprised your doctor didn't recommend looking into your diet - as Wibbs has said, it impacts everything.

I know Brocolli is incredibly beneficial for prostate problems and is high in antioxidants - I'd recommend looking into it as it may help you out quite a bit - if I get a chance today I might look into it more and post about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Pumpkin seeds and goji berries are very good for an inflamed prostate.

Thanks to those who offered advice.
    As a household we would have broccoli 4/5 times a week , its one of the few veg that everyone eats.

We have 2 vegans in the house so loads of pumpkin and sunflower seeds along with linseed, so all in all I probably have a healthy diet.
    Im on combodart 0.5/0.4. 2 weeks now. Bad pain is somewhat suppressed, (solpodene) burning still there. But liveable with. Cant completely void. Dry ejac., (when situation arises) (no pun).

Weepy all the time (show me a puppy or the 6.1 news) and Im off. Apparently this is the tablets messing with hormones.

Got a call on Friday for a biopsy have to contact hospital today.

Just an update,

Since August I been in hospital 5 times five days at a time (bar the last visit in November where I had a full TURP.

6 catheters fitted in the most awkward situations. The pain was so bad on two occasions nurses had to lie on top of my legs to keep them still.

Ive had weeks of oral cipro, in addition to antibiotics by IV. Had flow tests done and DREs not to mention a cysto.

The final operation 7 weeks ago I was given no choice but to go for surgery. I ignored the advice, had to go get a cathather wnd was admitted within 2 days for prostate surgery.

I had full trans urethal resecton. I was told that most of the prostate had been removed.
    Dry ejaculations, if my libido did not disappear. Some bladder damage causing partial incontinence. Lost a lot of blood and came home anemic. Ive spent the last 10 weeks out of work, no income - self employed. Deep anxiety and depression. Trying to hold on but its difficult.

I rationalize that my kids and wife are still here and love me, however I now dont have the money to go to a doctor for a review.

I cant ask anyone for help. Right now I have an infection, extreme burning / spasm pain when peeing. Chills and shakes and fatigued in the afternoon. Cloudy piss. Original uriologist said that i may have this forever

I think the only option for me is to close my business.
    dont know what to do next - any one have any ideas?

:(:( ah jesus man, I dunno what to say. All I can give you is my sympathy, which I realise is about as much use at teats on a bull. I'd stall the ball on closing your business just yet though. If you've built up a good and loyal customer base you might be surprised with how many will stick with you even with your hiatus and on this score at least I can vouch for that. I'd wait and see how that aspect of your life pans out. You may find it's more of a lifeline than you think. I did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

sserdda wrote: »
    I now dont have the money to go to a doctor for a review.
    Sorry to hear that. That's an awful situation. Saint Vincent de Paul may be able to help with a doctor. That's all I can think of at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭kilk

sserdda wrote: »
    Just an update,

Since August I been in hospital 5 times five days at a time (bar the last visit in November where I had a full TURP.

6 catheters fitted in the most awkward situations. The pain was so bad on two occasions nurses had to lie on top of my legs to keep them still.

Ive had weeks of oral cipro, in addition to antibiotics by IV. Had flow tests done and DREs not to mention a cysto.

The final operation 7 weeks ago I was given no choice but to go for surgery. I ignored the advice, had to go get a cathather wnd was admitted within 2 days for prostate surgery.

I had full trans urethal resecton. I was told that most of the prostate had been removed.
    Dry ejaculations, if my libido did not disappear. Some bladder damage causing partial incontinence. Lost a lot of blood and came home anemic. Ive spent the last 10 weeks out of work, no income - self employed. Deep anxiety and depression. Trying to hold on but its difficult.

I rationalize that my kids and wife are still here and love me, however I now dont have the money to go to a doctor for a review.

I cant ask anyone for help. Right now I have an infection, extreme burning / spasm pain when peeing. Chills and shakes and fatigued in the afternoon. Cloudy piss. Original uriologist said that i may have this forever

I think the only option for me is to close my business.
    dont know what to do next - any one have any ideas?

Sorry I have only come across this thread now. you have been through the mill sserdda! How are you doing since?

Advertisement