Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poolbeg chimneys to be knocked down?

• 11-07-2014 7:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/famous-poolbeg-chimneys-face-being-knocked-down-1.1862406
    The ESB has warned it may not “be possible at all” to leave the famous Poolbeg chimneys in Dublin standing, and will decide by the end of the year whether to knock them down.

ESB chief executive Pat O’Doherty said carrying out the structural and repair works needed to keep the 680ft high twin stacks may not be the best use of resources.

The old power station in Poolbeg ceased operation in 2010 and, in a letter to Minister for Tourism Leo Varadkar, Mr O’Doherty said a review of the site, currently under way, will be completed by the end of the year.

What do ye reckon?

Would be horrific IMO

Should the Poolbeg chimneys be demolished? 472 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    33% 157 votes
    I've never been to Dublin
    66% 315 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

They are only Chimneys no loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Dartz

I like them.

They're a landmark. Shame to see them go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭SweetChaos

I would not like to see them go they are a instantly recognizable part of Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Dartz wrote: »
    I like them.

They're a landmark. Shame to see them go.

Just throw up 2 more red and white spires.

They would be missed from the skyline alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

They really are a Dublin landmark. They're usually how I know I'm over Dublin when in a plane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

A bloke in the pub once told me that, with 'special permission', one could get granted access to the tippy top. Most probably bs, unless by 'special' he meant employed to maintain them.

Eitherway it was always kinda on my bucket list. While I'm terrified of heights, just imagine the views from up there!

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Dartz wrote: »
    They're a landmark.
    SweetChaos wrote: »
    I would not like to see them go they are a instantly recognizable part of Dublin

The gasometer on Sir John Rogerson's Quay was also a instantly recognisable landmark in its day, but lots of people don't even remember it now.

For better or worse, landmarks come and go.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Zulu wrote: »
    While I'm terrified of heights, just imagine the views from up there!

I'm the same with heights, but yeah the views would be absolutely amazing! Be like the Hurakan Condor tower in Portaventura. Amazing views across Salou!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭bnt

This isn't London, and that's not the Battersea Power Station. I say remove them and build something better in their place, like a 300m tall statue of my middle finger.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

While they are a recognizable land mark for the Irish, I dont think its worth spending a lot of public money keeping two defuct industrial chimney standing forever more. I can't see them being much of a tourist draw either, they probably belong more in an Al Gore video than a failte Ireland one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I remember talking walks along the Royal Canal and seeing Croke Park with the chimneys beside them at a distance. I know they're just chimneys but that view was really nice, especially at dusk. It's also a part of most views of Dublin Bay. No, tourists may not even be interested in it but it's still a landmark.

If it doesn't cost too much to keep them, then we should. If it's too large of a sum, I'd definitely be sad to see them go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Great Pyramid of Giza
    Hanging Gardens of Babylon
    Statue of Zeus at Olympia
    Poolbeg Chimneys
    Mausoleum at Halicarnassus
    Colossus of Rhodes
    Lighthouse of Alexandria

we can hardly have six wonders of the world now can we?

leave them alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

They look like a bloody eyesore. Sorry folks but they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

you can see them all the way from Canada?

what a true marvel they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I had no idea poolbeg wasn't generating power?

Where does Dublin get its electricity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Well close your eyes:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Change resistance is a pretty natural reaction to anything like this, the thing to ask yourself is would you do it in reverse? If they didn't exist, and somebody proposed building two giant red and white chimneys for no reason than to add to the Dublin skyline, would you be in favour?

Having said that, I will miss them if they go, they were the only landmark I could see from my bedroom window growing up in a nondescript Dublin suburb, and I've always looked out for them the times I've been on a ferry back to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I'm torn on this one tbh.

They are a major landmark for the city, but they are also a serious eyesore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

From the sun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Very familiar landmark to many, but Christ is it ugly as sin...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Did you just look up images of 'Poolbeg chimneys'? :p

Noo, you gotta see them from the Lighthouse or Dollymount Strand. The bay just won't look the same without them. It's not beautiful, no, but it's a landmark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

We want to avoid a second twin towers catastrophe. The nordies might try to spoil our glorious centenary celebration of 1916.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I think what gets missed is that not all parts of a city must be pretty. They aren't pretty, but neither are they ugly. However, they certainly are dublin. They are the single most distinctive feature of dublin bay. When you tear stuff down because someone declares it ugly and an eyesore, and you replace it with pretty glass and steel, yeah, you get rid of some grittyness. But it's a city with history, it's supposed to be gritty in parts. When you take away all that is old and gritty (and often definitive of the city) and replace it with new and shiney, you gradually tear the soul out of the place. Look at the docklands, you could be ANYWHERE. But the towers are distinctly Dublin. I hope they don't go. Hopefully the letter is just trying to hit the state up for some cash for repairs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Knock them down and extend the incinerator and The John Gormley Memorial Sewage Plant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I am fond of them, but I don't think it's worth throwing money at them to keep them. They're not exactly Christ the Redeamer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

It would be an awful shame to see them go. Somebody already mentioned the Gasometer, I think that was a great loss to the history and fabric of the city.
    I have very old memories as a young child of the chimneys and see them as intrinsically Dublin.
    I would be interested to see what the actual cost is, we spend a lot of money on stupid and pointless stuff we should be able to examine the possibility of spending to keep an actual landmark..

The years have made me bitter, the gargle dims my brain
    'Cause Dublin keeps on changing & nothing stays the same
    The Pillar & the Met have gone, the Royal long since pulled down
    As the grey unyielding concrete makes a city of my town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Knock em down replace with a giant statue of our holy lord mr garth brooks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Sure they're recognisable, but you could say the same about Chernobyl or Garth Brooks, and we'd still like to get rid of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

From any generator connected to the grid, anywhere in Ireland (or the UK since we now have interconnectors). There are other large generators operating in Dublin, the biggest being in Huntstown and another in Ringsend. There is also some generation in Poolbeg still (the smaller four chimneys east of the big ones).

The truth is we don't need generators in Dublin though it's generally more efficient to generate locally to where you consume.

Personally I think the chimneys could be replaced with a couple of large wind turbines, to show how environmentally aware we have become.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭mobby

No way they should be knocked, they are part of the Dublin skyline.
    A little bit of imagination for that area is all that's required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

Knock them down quick, before somebody declares they are national monument and then it'll cost taxpayers 1 million Euro year to maintain the flipping things.

Just keep their image on the flight simulator programs, it is great craic flying your Learjet between the two chimneys.

As for knocking them down, you wouldn't be able to blow them up because there are too many buildings close by. You would have to do it the hard way :eek:

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/328127/314177.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Turn them into 2 giant syringes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

They harvest all the hot air from $hoite spoken ;)

I'd love to see the government turning them into a tourist site. Buy them, build an observation deck on the top, with a lift up. Could have a simple deck on one and then in a few year, if it was turning a profit, build a revolving restaurant on the other?

...but that would involve forward thinking, and considering it would be a public company - spiraling prohibitive costs. ...spending 5 years in planning and political doldrums, until it's made a private/public enterprise where the government pay a some of their cozy friends in the private sector to come in and run the project keeping all profits forever, and having any losses insured at tax payers expense.

Scratch that. We simply can't have nice things can we. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Do people like them that much? Special breed there, remember when they were claiming that Liberty Hall was a national treasure :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I'm surprised by the fact that they are only 40 years old (built in the 70's), can't recall seeing/hearing anything about them being built while I lived in Dublin back then. Retain them, they are the only architectural item of size/stature down that part of Dublin, it's version of that statue outside NYC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

mobby wrote: »
    No way they should be knocked, they are part of the Dublin skyline.
    A little bit of imagination for that area is all that's required.

Quality should trump nostalgia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

A bloke in the pub once told me that, with 'special permission', one could get granted access to the tippy top. Most probably bs, unless by 'special' he meant employed to maintain them.

Eitherway it was always kinda on my bucket list. While I'm terrified of heights, just imagine the views from up there!
    I'd love to see the government turning them into a tourist site. Buy them, build an observation deck on the top, with a lift up. Could have a simple deck on one and then in a few year, if it was turning a profit, build a revolving restaurant on the other?

...but that would involve forward thinking, and considering it would be a public company - spiraling prohibitive costs. ...spending 5 years in planning and political doldrums, until it's made a private/public enterprise where the government pay a some of their cozy friends in the private sector to come in and run the project keeping all profits forever, and having any losses insured at tax payers expense.

Exactly this, I've never been close to them, so don't know how big they are, and whether it would be feasible, but this would be great.

I love seeing them, I was born in Dublin but grew up in England, would come home every summer on the ferry, so I guess they mean a lot to me, I still go over to England regularly, and always look out for them as we come into Dublin.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Yeah, let's get rid of the chimneys and replace them with some more five storey buildings. That'll be exciting to look at. I say keep the chimneys. Dublin's skyline is monotonous enough as it is.
    c_man wrote: »
    Do people like them that much? Special breed there, remember when they were claiming that Liberty Hall was a national treasure :eek:
    Liberty Hall would be grand if it was transparent the way it was designed to be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Put a couple of wind turbines up in their place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I think because of the location it just wouldn't make money. Would be cool to have an viewing point there though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Isn't there a Dublin forum on Boards?

Cienciano wrote: »
    I think because of the location it just wouldn't make money. Would be cool to have an viewing point there though.
    You'd think that, but the tourist would go for the view. People head up to the guinness for the view - and thats out of the bloody way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Xcellor

They are two chimney stacks from an old power plant? I'd expect most people to be happy to see them go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭Drop the Ball

Recognisable Landmark…Yes.
    Aesthetic value…None

Blow them up or known them down IMO. Do in a dramatic fashion and turn it into a big even/day-out for the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Zen65 wrote: »
    Personally I think the chimneys could be replaced with a couple of large wind turbines, to show how environmentally aware we have become.

I was just about to suggest this. Put up 2 red and white wind turbines which will be an instantly recognisable landmark, an eyesore, and also generate electricity.

Everybody wins!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

I think they have served their purpose.

I mean, Ireland is paying a fair bit already with this debt nonsense.

Sell them to the Germans.. Germans love brick.

No wait... The Danish do. Send it to them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

On one hand I couldn't care less because i don't live in Dublin.

On the other hand I couldn't give a **** what goes on in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Yes, I would go along and get some good action shots!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement