Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Binge watching Vs weekly viewing: how do you consume TV? Whats your binging record?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Watched all 7 episodes of Derek on Netflix last night.

Incredible stuff. Gervais gets a lot of stick but he's finally made that third really great show following The Office and Extras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I've a stockpile of shows that I'm waiting to attack, 2 episodes at a time where possible:

1) Mad Men S6

2) Boardwalk Empire S4

3) Band of Brothers

4) True Detective

5) Sherlock

6) Smiley's People

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Watched ep 4 of True Detective last night, is promising to be a great series

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I generally prefer to record a show week by week and then binge on it as the end of the series approaches. The one time I really binged though was on the Alias Series 1 boxset - 24 episodes in 2 days! Funny thing is, I lent it to several friends, and always had it back within a few days. Most addictive show ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

bogmanfan wrote: »
    I generally prefer to record a show week by week and then binge on it as the end of the series approaches. The one time I really binged though was on the Alias Series 1 boxset - 24 episodes in 2 days! Funny thing is, I lent it to several friends, and always had it back within a few days. Most addictive show ever.

Alias was such a good show. I used to watch it every week. Used to be torture waiting for the next episdoe, though that was before I learnt how to obtain shows from my American cousins :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

We tend to save shows up, and would have one saved show on the go where we watch a couple of episodes a day either from Netlfix or on Sky. Currently watching House of Cards, will be all caught up by Friday. Recently finished all of Damages in that way.
    Got bored of The Following after about 5 eps, does it get any better?

No, it gets quite a bit worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

House of Cards S2 out now. I'm sorted for the rest of the night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I have got bored of binging on TV shows. Prob shouldn't have watched all 9 seasons of the X Files in less than 5 months.

Once a week maybe not a live broadcast but definitely catch up, as I used to with VCRs back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Have binged on 3 seasons of Boardwalk Empire this week, but fourth is going to have to wait for now, gonna get started on House of Cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Just finished season 2 of House of Cards. No I have to stay away from normal people for at least a week lest I spoil it for them. Bugger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Just finished season 2 of House of Cards. No I have to stay away from normal people for at least a week lest I spoil it for them. Bugger.
    As good as season 1? Feel free to limit yourself to yes or no, or 5 words, or some restriction that prevents spoilers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Pushtrak wrote: »
    As good as season 1? Feel free to limit yourself to yes or no, or 5 words, or some restriction that prevents spoilers.

As good as - yes
    Faster paced - yes

If you've already seen the UK version, you know where the general plotline is going...but there are a few surprises along the way.

As good as season 1?

4 episodes in and in short:

Nowhere as near as good as last year

• Registered Users Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Watched about 22/23 seasons of Survivor continuously over a period of 6/7 weeks a few years ago. That's probably my record.

Depends on the show for me, I prefer weekly viewing but I'm well capable of binging on something straight through e.g House of Cards season 2, last night and today, all of The League was last week. Going to do Archer next week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    4 episodes in and in short:

Nowhere as near as good as last year

Have to disagree! I finished it in the one go on friday night and it was FANTASTIC!

The absolute pain of having to wait so long for another season. It actually makes me want to cry :mad:

tusk wrote: »
    Have to disagree! I finished it in the one go on friday night and it was FANTASTIC!

The absolute pain of having to wait so long for another season. It actually makes me want to cry :mad:

Could be a reason not to binge.

Elmo wrote: »
    Could be a reason not to binge.
    No, if anything its a reason to wait till a show is just completely done.

No, if anything its a reason to wait till a show is just completely done.

But then your not up to date. and all the internet spoilers. e.g. I now know from the House of Cards clip that
    kevin spacey character becomes vp

Though after 8 episodes I am still not convinced. It is good but ...

Damn that was close. I almost read the spoiler. I quoted your post, but obviously you can see what is written then. I read the first 3 words and stopped myself. Not being up to date is fine. I've left Game of Thrones off... Was thinking I'd get around to reading the books first, but I don't know when I'd get to that, so might just catch up on all that is done so far in the summer. Not a thing has been 'spoiled' on me. I do see this brace yourself meme, and know it has some connection to Game of Thrones, and lots of people die... That's what I know. And that's a pretty popular show to talk about. I watch The Walking Dead on a by season basis, and have had some close calls there on facebook, but never actually saw a full spoiler, just character names, and get myself to stop reading.

There are some shows that are better to watch week to week. Something you wouldn't exactly watch back to back, for instance. For me, some shows I leave to watch when the season would be because I'm not going to want to wait a week between episodes. Then, with new shows, it's a 'is this going to be canned?' and if it is, I try to find out whether it is worth watching despite the fact it was canned or not to waste my time. Everyone has to wait a year anyway, so while yes, the season by season does have that, it doesn't seem as bad as the alternative to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

Pushtrak, you should ask your brother about the spoiler I dropped on him a few months back. He was nine too pleased. Still brings it up. Haha. Obviously it wasn't intentional.

• Advertisement

pajopearl wrote: »
    Pushtrak, you should ask your brother about the spoiler I dropped on him a few months back. He was nine too pleased. Still brings it up. Haha. Obviously it wasn't intentional.
    I would if I knew who you were :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Damn that was close. I almost read the spoiler. I quoted your post, but obviously you can see what is written then. I read the first 3 words and stopped myself. Not being up to date is fine. I've left Game of Thrones off... Was thinking I'd get around to reading the books first, but I don't know when I'd get to that, so might just catch up on all that is done so far in the summer. Not a thing has been 'spoiled' on me. I do see this brace yourself meme, and know it has some connection to Game of Thrones, and lots of people die... That's what I know. And that's a pretty popular show to talk about. I watch The Walking Dead on a by season basis, and have had some close calls there on facebook, but never actually saw a full spoiler, just character names, and get myself to stop reading.

There are some shows that are better to watch week to week. Something you wouldn't exactly watch back to back, for instance. For me, some shows I leave to watch when the season would be because I'm not going to want to wait a week between episodes. Then, with new shows, it's a 'is this going to be canned?' and if it is, I try to find out whether it is worth watching despite the fact it was canned or not to waste my time. Everyone has to wait a year anyway, so while yes, the season by season does have that, it doesn't seem as bad as the alternative to me.

I bought the set of 7 books on Amazon last week for EUR50 including delivery, all the Irish sites were EUR80 at least, well any that I tried

• Registered Users Posts: 26,318 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I go for the one a day philosophy as well.

Some days you want have time, on a Sunday you might watch two, so it evens itself out to 7 eps a week.

Basically I have been getting through alot of these 13-episode series in two weeks.

I bought the set of 7 books on Amazon last week for EUR50 including delivery, all the Irish sites were EUR80 at least, well any that I tried
    Whereas I used to be very good for getting around to reading books, I'm not like that now, or the last year pretty much. Instead of reading before going to sleep its more of a 'its too late to now' thing. And I can't really see myself getting in to them before not just the season that'll be starting soon is done, but next season either.

Most recent binge was Scandal.

Season two was like TV Crack, however Ive slowed down with season three as the overall arc is nowhere near as strong

Almost 4 seasons of Parks & Recreation watched in as many weeks. Bearing in mind that 3 episodes can be watched in an hour the seasons fly by.

A show that has an ok season one but well worth sticking with for what comes after. If you liked the US version of the Office you'll love this.

Oh and I'll just leave this here

3821.jpg

All 6 seasons of Parks And Recreation eaten up in about 5 weeks.

What a show! :)

The first 3 seasons of Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia watched in 4 days.

Think I'll slow down a bit now though as there's so much good stuff added to Netflix recently.

Advertisement