Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to wire money to Ireland?

Options
  • 02-07-2014 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

I'm heading over to Ireland next month. Normally I put everything on the credit/debit card, but this time I will need cash to handle a couple of big transactions.....notably accomadation

Anyone know the best away to wire money over to Ireland. I can have my brother receive or pick it up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

xoom.com

You can transfer upto $3000 for $5 - a lot cheaper than the banks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

xoom.com

You can transfer upto $3000 for $5 - a lot cheaper than the banks

The exchange rate is what matters, not the fixed charge. This is like telling people to do FX in the post office purely because it's 'commission free' with no reference to the exchange rate which is usually worse than the Irish banks.

xoom.com is currently offering €710.65 for $1,005 whereas if you walk into a Bank of Ireland with 1,000 US Dolllars they will give you €715.60 (net of commission) - a marginally better net rate (1.3974 vs. 1.4142) for cash than an electronic transfer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

But then banks such as Bank of America charge you a fee as well as an exchange rate, if you wire - so xoom you usually end up on top anyway.

However you're right - the best exchange rate is going to be walking into a bank in Ireland and changing there, however I'm never comfortable travelling with a lot of cash (moved to the US with 10000 on me...never doing that again)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Another vote for Xoom. Download the app and you'll make the transfer in under a minute. Also when transferring from USa to Ireland you'll see the money in the Irish account in under an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I've heard good things about Currencyfair too and their rates are better than Xoom. Used Xoom myself but might try Currency fair next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

I use xe.com and found their rates very cheap and usually no service fees

Advertisement