Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hanson marathon plan for a first marathon

• 23-05-2014 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭

Anyone use the Hanson Beginner Training Plan for their first marathon and if so how did you find it?
    A few of the folks over on the novices thread are considering it for their first marathon so experiences of this method appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

This?
    http://www.hansons-running.com/training-plans/beginner-training-plan/
    16 mile longest run? I would have thought its a bit short even for a beginner plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Big jump in intensity in week 6 and only 16 mile LSR. I wouldn't....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Think its a cool approach but as I said in the newbies thread- imo NOT a good idea for your first marathon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

gerard_65 wrote: »
    This?
    http://www.hansons-running.com/training-plans/beginner-training-plan/
    16 mile longest run? I would have thought its a bit short even for a beginner plan.

Yep that's the one. I know the merits or otherwise of this plan have been debated a few times already on this forum so we don't need to do that again but I'd love to know if anyone has done it for their first marathon and how they found it and what the end result was.

Ososlo wrote: »
    Yep that's the one. I know the merits or otherwise of this plan have been debated a few times already on this forum so we don't need to do that again but I'd love to know if anyone has done it for their first marathon and how they found it and what the end result was.

AFAIK Ososlo- no one I know who posts on this forum has used it for their 1st- tbh can't remember a poster who's used it and posted in any detail about it....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

I ran a marathon with 17 milers as my longest runs a few years ago. Looking back my training wouldn't have been a million miles from this program. BIG mistake, really hurt from 20 miles on and was suffering for weeks after. I wouldn't repeat that experiment in a hurry. But everyone's different so maybe it would work for some. If it goes wrong though, it'll go very wrong.

FWIW if I didn't have a grudge match coming up in DCM w/ Tbb I'd give this a whirl- for science and all that. I like what the Hansons are doing with their sub-elite group in the US and can see the reasoning behind the plan.... Any boardsies w/out a grudge match coming up wanna be a guinea pig?

drquirky wrote: »
    FWIW if I didn't have a grudge match coming up in DCM w/ Tbb I'd give this a whirl- for science and all that. I like what the Hansons are doing with their sub-elite group in the US and can see the reasoning behind the plan.... Any boardsies w/out a grudge match coming up wanna be a guinea pig?
    We've got a few novices interested! They just need a little encouragement;)

We've got a few novices interested! They just need a little encouragement;)

Hahahah- like I said Ososlo- probably not advisable for novices. On the other hand- any chance we could get you to trade in the "Stazza System" for this? :D:D:D

drquirky wrote: »
    Hahahah- like I said Ososlo- probably not advisable for novices. On the other hand- any chance we could get you to trade in the "Stazza System" for this? :D:D:D

**** off:)

• Advertisement

**** off:)

A woman after my own heart. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Tbh, to me it looks like a great half marathon plan for a reasonably experienced runner. I would be wanting to go to 20 miles/30km/3+ hours in training a few times before a marathon for my longest runs and 16 miles just really doesn't feel like enough. For a first-timer, having 10 miles as an unknown quantity at the end of the race is way too much if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

We used Hanson in our club as our training plan for last years dublin city marathon. I can't remember if for some it was their first Marathon (for me, it was my sixth I think). The length of the runs themselves wasn't an issue... And we were ALL very skeptical about a 16 mile max run but to be fair it worked very well for all of us. I think nearly all of the 10 or so runners that used the plan had good PB's.

For me, The hardest part of the plan was not the distances, or the pacing. It was moving from running from 4 days per week to 6 days per week. I suspect the club will be using it again this year come July.

Like all training plans though, you have to be honest with yourself. For first timers, I think the idea would be to tailor the pace to suit....

Muppet man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

While the plan has no long run over 16 miles. All the 16 mile runs have 6-8 miles the day before and 4-5 the day after. Compare this with Rest-20-Cross in Hal's Novice plan, I think a novice would be physically better prepared under this plan, but maybe mentally not having done 20 miles might have an effect on the day.

Advertisement