Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycling in lanzarote

Options
  • 18-05-2014 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm heading to lanzarote last week in June. I'm looking for any advice,, routes ?, where to rent a bike ? and any other tips anyone would like to add

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

Most of the Hotels will be able to supply info on local Bike hire. And in most cases the rental company will deliver the bikes to the hotel for you.

There is a cycle track along the coast from Del Carmen to Arrecife and will take you a few hours. It goes by the Airport too and you get real close to the runway for great views of planes landing.

There are loads of places to stop off and get a bite to eat or refreshments, much much cheaper the the main resorts.

Bring sunscreen for your cycle trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Get In There

Going there in a fortnights time. Staying at PDC. Gonna hire a bike from Revolution Bikes so will be happy to let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Going there in a fortnights time. Staying at PDC. Gonna hire a bike from Revolution Bikes so will be happy to let you know how I get on.

Heading in July, love to hear what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

There are loads of threads on boards about cycling in Lanzarote. Use the search thingie.

Renners always seem to get good reviews for bike hire.
    There's one between PDC and Mata Gorda, BH, that is very good.
    There's a very good one in Playa Blanca and another one in La Santa.

The roads are very good, and there are some great climbs. The one from Tabyesco springs to mind, 10k with ave. gradient of 5%.
    The road through the wine growing area is lovely, quite hilly.

Beware of the wind. It's nearly always quite windy, usually NE. I was there in March, and it was particularly draughty.

The cycle track from PDC to Arrecife is glorious, as a warm up. It goes right along the coast. But, sometimes there is a lot of sand on it. It's directly beside the sea.
    There are are quite a number of walkers, roller bladers and those 4 wheeled pedal abominations, that use it.

Drivers in Lanzarote are very good, when dealing with cyclists. They always seem to give lots of space, when overtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Doc07

edbyrne127 wrote: »
    I'm heading to lanzarote last week in June. I'm looking for any advice,, routes ?, where to rent a bike ? and any other tips anyone would like to add

If you are staying near Playa Blanca I recommend Papagayo Bike for rental. I went on a group ride with them, fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Eamonnator wrote: »
    There are loads of threads on boards about cycling in Lanzarote. Use the search thingie.

Renners always seem to get good reviews for bike hire.
    There's one between PDC and Mata Gorda, BH, that is very good.
    There's a very good one in Playa Blanca and another one in La Santa.

The roads are very good, and there are some great climbs. The one from Tabyesco springs to mind, 10k with ave. gradient of 5%.
    The road through the wine growing area is lovely, quite hilly.

Beware of the wind. It's nearly always quite windy, usually NE. I was there in March, and it was particularly draughty.

The cycle track from PDC to Arrecife is glorious, as a warm up. It goes right along the coast. But, sometimes there is a lot of sand on it. It's directly beside the sea.
    There are are quite a number of walkers, roller bladers and those 4 wheeled pedal abominations, that use it.

Drivers in Lanzarote are very good, when dealing with cyclists. They always seem to give lots of space, when overtaking.

Would you recommend any particular time of day to go out. I've been to PDC a few times and midday to 5 can reach 30+ degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

I rented from Revolution and Flinstons in March. Revolution are really good and I rented a lovely Specialized Tarmac. The only issue I found was they were really busy so I found it hard to get a bike after my initial hire that I booked for two days. Then I went to Flinstons. There is an irish guy working there who does guides spins, nice guy too. They rented me a Bottechnia but it was a double so I couldn't get up hills. I brought it back and they changed it but the bike was very racy and low in the front.
    I did a nice route over towards El Golfo. Nice spin. The cycle path to Arricife is very busy with walkers and it's very sandy.
    My advice is to book a good few days in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I go in March and October, so not as hot. Even so, I always cycle there in the mornings. Gets very hot, although the wind helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭macbane66

Prepare for wind - great cycling : was there two week ago : rented from bh concept store in porta del Carmen : nice crowd : good hardy rental bikes well maintained

• Registered Users Posts: 48 apm0003

Where in Lanzarote are you staying ? I usually stay near Puerto Callero which is just up from Puerto Del Carmen and I rent from Revolution bikes in PDC. They will deliver to your hotel/apartment and are very helpful.

As others have said ..do a search on this forum for Lanzarote and you will find quite a few posts with helpful info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭ericzeking

What do people bring with them? How far do you go like, shoes, kit, helmet, garmin? I'm going with the missus and only meant to be bringing carry on luggage....I've no concrete plans to ride (the bike!!) over there but you never know I might do a day or 2......

• Registered Users Posts: 3 edbyrne127

Hey thanks for your reply, ive sent revolution an email.. ill wait for there reply..

thanks Ed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I'm just back from 2 weeks there. I stayed in Costa Teguise (again) and rented from Tommys Bikes. Great couple with good knowledge of the area and anything cycle related.
    Only got out for 2 spins but headed north towards Orzola and back, via the hilly bit towards Haria. Great roads and good weather, really enjoyed it.
    I saw a few good rental shops around, the BH one in PDC looks good.
    Great Indian in PDC btw, Taste of India on the sea front, or Navarro in Costa Teguise ( need to book this). Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 3 edbyrne127

Hi folks,,

I know this post is a bit old,,, i hired a bike last year in flistone bikes,,, i got a really nice deal so ill be back again this year.

Now im looking for some company, ill be on the bike from the 5th of july for a week, staying in pdc..

Also ill be doing a bit of swimming,,,, (Training for an ironman) Anyone interested ??

Advertisement