Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Thomson TWG-870U & Technicolor TC7200 - Enabling "Cable modem" mode - basic guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sammyano

Hello Karsini, any idea as to what casing this warning message from upc tc7200-

[Warn] Map Reject - Not Authorized for Requested Downstream Traffic ...

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭ondafly

sammyano wrote: »
    Hello Karsini, any idea as to what casing this warning message from upc tc7200-

[Warn] Map Reject - Not Authorized for Requested Downstream Traffic ...

Cheers

the mac address presented to them isn't valid for authorization onto the network - however I got this error all the time prior to "converting my thomson" - had a quick look through my logs now on the Thomson and there is no sign of it.

Have you switched to modem only mode or is this prior ?

ondafly wrote: »
    the mac address presented to them isn't valid for authorization onto the network - however I got this error all the time prior to "converting my thomson" - had a quick look through my logs now on the Thomson and there is no sign of it.

Have you switched to modem only mode or is this prior ?

Nope did not switch to modem only mode, connected another router tc7200 via wan port

I finally put the TC7200 into bridge mode, but first disabled wireless on both 2.4/5ghz and then turned firewall off.When the TC7200 came back it was in bridge mode. I then connected to the TC7200 using my router WAN port which has DHCP enabled and firewall enabled, however, am seeing these errors - can someone advise if it really mean anything in terms to my setup -

2014-04-21 21:19:02: [Warn] Dynamic Range Window violation
    2014-04-21 20:47:38: [Warn] Map Reject - Not Authorized for Requested Downstream Traffic ...
    2014-04-21 20:47:35: [Warn] Dynamic Range Window violation

cheers -

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

This is really strange, as my TWG870 is on 1.75 and it did dropped of the inet on 17/18th of April. As for today I wasn't able to get it up and running.

Exactly same thing happening - network access denied, only one channel upstream etc.

I rang UPC and they told me it is my modem, I played the "I'm an alien in Eire, it is Easter, please mister upc-man let me use my backup EPC3925". I should have it live today or tomorrow.

did a bit more tinkering, there was no chance of me reverting my changes :) IT people go forward, not backward :)

Anyway, I've removed the 2 way splitter from the UPC connection to the modem & tvbox and wired straight to the modem, and I'm back online.

My SNR and power stats :

Downstream Channels
    Channel Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Symbol rate Frequency Power SNR
    1 Locked QAM256 10 6952000 -0.7 dBmV 39.0 dB
    2 Locked QAM256 9 6952000 -0.7 dBmV 39.0 dB
    3 Locked QAM256 11 6952000 -0.5 dBmV 39.0 dB
    4 Locked QAM256 12 6952000 -0.4 dBmV 37.6 dB
    5 Locked QAM256 5 6952000 1.0 dBmV 39.9 dB
    6 Locked QAM256 6 6952000 1.5 dBmV 40.3 dB
    7 Locked QAM256 7 6952000 1.6 dBmV 40.3 dB
    8 Locked QAM256 8 6952000 1.3 dBmV 39.0 dB

Upstream Channels
    Channel Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Symbol Rate Frequency Power
    1 Locked QAM16 6 5120 Ksym/sec 34.9 dBmV
    2 Locked QAM16 5 5120 Ksym/sec 32.6 dBmV
    3 Locked QAM16 7 5120 Ksym/sec 35.8 dBmV
    4 Locked QAM16 8 5120 Ksym/sec 36.8 dBmV

• Advertisement

docentore wrote: »
    This is really strange, as my TWG870 is on 1.75 and it did dropped of the inet on 17/18th of April. As for today I wasn't able to get it up and running.

Exactly same thing happening - network access denied, only one channel upstream etc.

I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it all down to the cabling at this point. If the splitter box, or any of the co-ax cables move about, it drops the connection to both internet and tv.

The coax port on my wall, is also very old, and was installed by Cablelink, who were bought by NTL, who became UPC.

I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it all down to the cabling at this point. If the splitter box, or any of the co-ax cables move about, it drops the connection to both internet and tv.

The coax port on my wall, is also very old, and was installed by Cablelink, who were bought by NTL, who became UPC.

Did you see any of these listed warning messages in you log ?

2014-04-21 20:47:38: [Warn] Map Reject - Not Authorized for Requested Downstream Traffic ...

"Map Reject - Not Authorized for Requested Downstream Traffic .."

I've regularly seen that warning for the last 2 years

Mentioned it to UPC plenty of times, and they didn't seem to bothered, as long as I was connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

sammyano wrote: »
    Did you see any of these listed warning messages in you log ?

Hers my logs for today,so far,
    using TC7200 as modem/router
    2014-04-22 15:38:00: [Warn] Map Reject - Not Authorized for Requested Downstream Traffic ...
    2014-04-22 03:17:02: [Info] DHCP Renew - lease parameters Time Protocol Servers modified;...
    2014-04-22 03:17:02: [Minor] DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-M...
    2014-04-22 01:00:10: [Warn] Map Reject - Not Authorized for Requested Downstream Traffic

Think its fair to say you are OK :)

I came back home today just to find out that the EPC3925 was reactivated for me. I know speedtest.net tests mean nothing, but I'm getting defo better results than with Thomson. Just to be sure I have activated bridge mode before getting the modem online and I have made config backup.

So bye Thomson, it was fun hacking you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

Tried this on my tc7200 today.

STD6.01.27

Unfortunately the oid isnt present any more, tried private strings also, no difference. Tried setting the oid regardless but it didn't take.

dB3vZq3.jpg

Lol - new hidden url

http://192.168.0.1/system/switch-mode.asp

This gives you menu to switch modes .......:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

dolallyoh wrote: »
    Lol - new hidden url

How did you find that lol

wiz569 wrote: »
    How did you find that lol

Went googling when I coudln't get the hack working. Look at the date!

http://www.chelloo.com/upc/index.php?topic=49455.0

Went googling when I coudln't get the hack working. Look at the date!

http://www.chelloo.com/upc/index.php?topic=49455.0

Jeez that's from a year ago,well found m8 :)

Have you actually tried it and were you able to switch back and forth?

wiz569 wrote: »
    Jeez that's from a year ago,well found m8 :)

Have you actually tried it and were you able to switch back and forth?

It works fine. You still get wifi options even when in bridge mode but I have disabled mine.

Nice find. I guess the hack is somewhat redundant so. :)

Karsini wrote: »
    Nice find. I guess the hack is somewhat redundant so. :)

Twas fun though, and guys like you helped a lot of people.

Wonder what the next challenge will be.

Quick follow up to this. Since I made the change internet has been dropping out for no good reason. Couldn't diagnose the issue. Eventually dropped back to router mode. Continued to drop. So have popped the rest button which did indeed reset back to original settings ssids etc.

So monitoring at moment, its undeniably a totally **** device. Wifi speeds are laughable and cannot appear to have dual band (ie at same time).

Can we just go out and buy a modem and if so which one ?

Cheers.

Edit: More reliable since the reset. No drops since so far 3 hrs later.

No, you can't replace the modem. UPC have to provision the MAC address of the device and won't provision a device they didn't provide, unless you're on a business package.

• Advertisement

Might try a business package so. If it was just a mac address they can be faked.

Edit: More reliable since the reset. No drops since so far 3 hrs later.

In modem or router mode?

Its currently in router mode. Don't trust it at all in bridge mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

Its currently in router mode. Don't trust it at all in bridge mode.

Is anyone having issues with the 7200 in bridge mode?

fguinan wrote: »
    Is anyone having issues with the 7200 in bridge mode?

In the other thread there's some users with Asus routers reporting problems with bridge mode; one seems to have worked around it by changing the router's subnet. Not a bother for me here, been bridged for 4 months now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

Karsini wrote: »
    In the other thread there's some users with Asus routers reporting problems with bridge mode; one seems to have worked around it by changing the router's subnet. Not a bother for me here, been bridged for 4 months now. :)

Thanks, just going to buy a decent router.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 brainzina

Hello everybody!

Thanks for the great discussion!

Unfortunately nothing of all that worked for me. If I change the MIB it switches back again and I also cannot open the hacked switching site in the webUI.

I have the TC 7200 and really need to find a way of getting it into bridged mode.

Is there any Austrian user (client of UPC Austria) who has had success in doing so? Unfortunately my router is 1 o2 weeks old because I had to change it due to connection problems. So I defenitely have the newest version.

Thanks in advance!

If the MIB changes back by itself then UPC Austria have blocked it. There's actually nothing you can do on your side.

brainzina wrote: »
    Hello everybody!

Thanks for the great discussion!

Unfortunately nothing of all that worked for me. If I change the MIB it switches back again and I also cannot open the hacked switching site in the webUI.

I have the TC 7200 and really need to find a way of getting it into bridged mode.

Is there any Austrian user (client of UPC Austria) who has had success in doing so? Unfortunately my router is 1 o2 weeks old because I had to change it due to connection problems. So I defenitely have the newest version.

Thanks in advance!

Does this url work for you? Obviously use your router's ip

http://x.x.x.x/system/switch-mode.asp

• Advertisement

Lol - new hidden url

jeeez, spent hours looking for this while back. Ah well, I've learned a lot about SMNP etc. Handy to know.

Nice find!

Advertisement