Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10/22 Trigger Review: Timney Versus Kidd

Options
  • 27-04-2014 1:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

I finally had the opportunity the other day to head out to the range in order to do the long awaited test of the 10/22's as shown below.
    green1022s_zpsc4ddadd8.jpg

On top: Kidd Ultra Lightweight Barrel, Kidd Single Stage Trigger set to 1.5lbs, Boyd's Rimfire Thumbhole finished in Forest Camo Green, and a dedicated 22LR Nikon Prostaff scope with BDC 150 reticle.

On the bottom: Timney Trigger, 18", 1:16 twist, 0.920 Shaw Bull Barrel, Boyd's Tacticool stock in Forest Camo Green, and a Burris Droptine 3-9x40 22lr Ballistic Plex scope.

Both kit have Burris XTR Rings 1" Low, 15moa Tactical Solutions Base. Both triggers have the extended magazine release. Kidd calls their release the "speed" and Timney extended. Also, Timney refers to the actual trigger as a shoe whereas Kidd, a blade.

On the way to the range, I could not help but feel my car being pushed about by cross-winds. Thus, I held out little hope of any meaningful comparison of brand new barrels. I continued on as I would prefer to do a 22lr barrel comparison after a break in of about a thousand rounds. If nothing else, even a windy day would get me closer to that goal.

So I decided to review the triggers. As a disclaimer, I do have a new Timney 10/22 trigger for sale on this site. Also, when it comes to 700's I am a Timney guy. With that said, having both Timney and Kidd, I really have no affinity to either when it comes to the 10/22. To be honest, I will probably flog the lot to put a Voltsquartsen up against a Power Custom!

Below are the triggers tested.
    timney_kidd_d_zpseedd92f8.jpg

Concisely, for me, the determining factor comes down to price and adjustability.

If you are a dedicated benchrest shooter, never hunt, or otherwise demand a very low, adjustable trigger, the Kidd is the best choice.

If you are like me, more budget conscious, and do more field work with bunnies, but enjoy a day at the range, the Timney is the best choice.

Both the Timney and the Kidd offer extremely clean, crisp, trigger breaks with no creep or issues at all. When set at the same weight, I could not choose one over the other. Both break like glass.

The Kidd's adjustable trigger has a very light break at 1.5lbs. A bit too light for field work, but essential for competition, I am told.

The Timney's 2.75lb break is not light nor heavy. It is what I have referred to as purposefully light. It is about the lightest you can have a trigger yet still consciously have to pull.

I would not hesitate to go in to competition with the Timney and plan to do so after the barrel is broken in. I would be more worried about an unintended trigger pull from the low weight settings than a draw off target due to a heavier pull.

Both installed easily, no problems, special tools, or issues. Both fit snug.

I prefer the shape of the Timney trigger shoe/blade as shown below.

Both Timney and Kidd offer a nice but not too wide shoe/blade on which the finger rests. However, the angle of the Kidd shoe was not as comfortable as the Timney. It is not a big deal, but something you may wish to consider. To be honest, I probably would not have noticed unless I had them both here, side by side. With gloves on, the Timney offered a more comfortable finger seat.
    timney_kidd_a_zpsd3d5b7b6.jpg

Aesthetically, the Timney has a cleaner finish. If you look in the above image, you may notice tooling marks around the magazine release. Also, in the same area, you may see concentric circles that Interpol may attempt to run as my fingerprints :cool:. They are not! They are again, tooling marks.

So what, who cares, the marks are mostly hidden by the stock. However, considering the prices paid for these triggers, I do not think it is too much to ask for a better finish, free of tool marks. Again, it is superficial and personally, it is not a deal breaker or buying point for me.

Kidd is the clear winner when it comes to trigger weight adjustability. The Kidd's trigger is adjustable from 1.5 to 5.0lb. The Timney is not. If you demand an adjustable trigger weight, the Kidd is your choice.

Adjustability comes with two costs. First, is money and second is mechanical. With adjustability comes a more complex trigger design with more bits and pieces. That is, more stuff to break down, fail, or wear. When it comes to machines, to me, simplicity is elegant.

In the cocked position, the extra internals are apparent in the Kidd (right hand side).
    timney_kidd_b_zps3ffb0d57.jpg

When fired (not dry!), even more internals are exposed. For those that are recocking the Kidd, ensure that you seat the metal enclosed by the spring properly.
    timney_kidd_c_zps93e2d615.jpg

The extra internals are a small price to pay if you want adjustability. For my needs, I prefer the more simple Timney design. With all of this said, I have no data or feedback to say that either design is better in the long run.

Releasing the magazine is simple, fast, and intuitive with the use of one finger. Both levers are easy to find and require no conscious effort. Both drop magazines literally free and fast. Timney may have a slight advantage with the slight loop on the release when wearing thicker winter gloves. With gloves on, it was easier to find the Timney release, but not by much. Without gloves, I really had no preference. If I did have a preference, it would be based on looks alone.

Not much to add on the topic of safety switches. Neither engage on a fired pin. Both are simple to use and effective.

Lastly, I prefer the design of the Timney ejector. The Kidd uses another punch pin to hold in their ejector whereas the Timney uses an existing pin.

In the end, the Kidd wins on adjustability whereas Timney wins on simplicity and price.

As for price, I will leave that up to ye. The triggers' American prices are close enough, depending on options, to be considered the same. However, in Ireland, that's another story. Personally, I would not pay 50% more for the adjustability of the Kidd. But, if you are in to competition...

I hope I did not bore anyone with superficial or minute differences. However, the two triggers are that close.

Feel free to ask any questions or request more images.

Thanks for reading, I will post the range report probably this summer and keep an eye out for the 700 SPS vs Howa 1500 223 shoot-off!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Thats the only fault I could find with my Kidd single stage! The tool marks, Then again its mostly hidden by the action its not an issue but thats all I could find fault with !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

cw67irl wrote: »
    Thats the only fault I could find with my Kidd single stage! The tool marks, Then again its mostly hidden by the action its not an issue but thats all I could find fault with !

They are both great triggers. I hope to test them over time to see how they fare. Ever notice that some cars run better after 50,000 or more miles (Irish roads not included!).

I would also really like to test the Power Custom and Voltsquartsen - maybe if the Timney sells. Otherwise, my bog bunny bashing 10/22 is going to get a nice treat:D!

Comparing the €325 Kidd to the €200 Timney, the Kidd would be out of my reach.

Adjustability is not worth the extra €125 to me. I would rather have the Timney and a Boyd's Stock than the Kidd trigger alone.

I think I will have to head to the Harbor House some day and meet up with a few of the Kidds.:p

I have Timney #510's in my 700's and never bothered adjusting them. Adjustability is something that I have paid for, but never really use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Im about to rebuild my 10/22 as a 100% kidd build it will be interesting to see just how accurate I can get it

If you are around in July the Gallery Internationals are on in HH you will see 10/22s of all shapes and sizes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭clivej

FISMA wrote: »
    I think I will have to head to the Harbor House some day and meet up with a few of the Kidds.:p

You know your always welcome here

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭adrian5765

HI all must say i have only used the kidd and the standard ruger but the 1lb consistantcy of the ruger is amazing for gallery comps. i had a standard re-polished to 3lb and could not feel the triigger. After advise from my piers went will single stage 1lb weight balanced by rude fat dog in the uk amazing feel...

• Advertisement

My first 10/22 was already customised with a 2 stage Kidd trigger. After a year I changed it out to a single stage and is better for the type of comp. shooting I do.
    Now any time a shoot a standard Ruger trigger I keep having to check the safety is not on as it's so heavy to pull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

clivej wrote: »
    My first 10/22 was already customised with a 2 stage Kidd trigger. After a year I changed it out to a single stage and is better for the type of comp. shooting I do.
    Now any time a shoot a standard Ruger trigger I keep having to check the safety is not on as it's so heavy to pull

Will have to get you to try the 10/22. Would be interested in your feedback. Of course it will be heavier, but would like to hear your comments on the break and feel.

Also, CliveJ, as the local Kidd expert :-), how easy is it to adjust the Kidd trigger?

Seems pretty easy, however, the Kidd site states that "The weight is preset at the factory for optimum performance and should only be adjusted by KIDD or a knowledgeable gunsmith." They then go on to explain that you need to have the competence of being able to rotate a hex wrench clockwise or counter clockwise.

Sounds more like Kidd is saying that it is really easy, however, we have to cover our @$$€;$ by telling you to have a gunsmith adjust the trigger so that when you sue us, we can claim you failed to follow instructions.

Sound right?

FISMA wrote: »
    Will have to get you to try the 10/22. Would be interested in your feedback. Of course it will be heavier, but would like to hear your comments on the break and feel.

Also, CliveJ, as the local Kidd expert :-), how easy is it to adjust the Kidd trigger?

Seems pretty easy, however, the Kidd site states that "The weight is preset at the factory for optimum performance and should only be adjusted by KIDD or a knowledgeable gunsmith." They then go on to explain that you need to have the competence of being able to rotate a hex wrench clockwise or counter clockwise.

Sounds more like Kidd is saying that it is really easy, however, we have to cover our @$$€;$ by telling you to have a gunsmith adjust the trigger so that when you sue us, we can claim you failed to follow instructions.

Sound right?

Fisma
    To be honest I have never even looked at setting the trigger as it came pre-set at the lightest setting. I must have a look next time I have it apart.
    But as you say it's only an allen key required to adjust it.
    I did fiddle with the 2 stage and that was easy enough to adjust.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭adrian5765

I know when I ordered my single stage I could have requested a custom weight from 1-3+ lbs

Advertisement