Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinkaware.ie is a charade

Options
  • 27-04-2014 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭

OK first up just in case anyone wasn't 'aware' of the fact drinkaware.ie is a website that many may have believed was an independent (or government) funded information website on the subject of alcohol consumption. However it's entirely funded by the alcoholic drinks industry in this country.

It's basically a marketing ploy that the drinks industry can point to whenever they're accused of having an adverse affect on he health of this country. If there was a slogan to describe the tone of their website and TV ads then it'd be something like "Drinking is great craic. Drinking a lash of pints is totally normal...oh yeah but don't drink too much ;) "

The website includes sections on "Low alcoholic cocktail recipes", "The secret to sobering up", "The 'why' and 'how' of pacing" and "The morning after -Time is the Only Cure". Nowhere does it mention the number of deaths in Ireland from alcohol-related diseases every year, the effect of alcohol abuse on A&E rooms around the country every week-end or how some individuals end up becoming alcoholics. The whole website is basically a watered down version of a real independent information website.

Imagine for a second if, instead of all of the stark factual warnings on cigarette boxes like "Smoking causes cancer" we instead had messages that read "Smoking may give you unpleasant breath" or "Falling asleep whilst smoking may lead to house fires". That's essentially the equivalent of the waning messages that drinkaware.ie is putting out.

Look I don't expect the drinks industry to damage their brand by choice by revealing the true dangers of consuming their product. However, surely we can bring in some sort of regulations that require them to reference a government supported website at the end of their commercials rather than their own creation. Drinkaware.ie is masquerading as a website with the people's best interests at heart rather than the drinks industry's.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

bad time of night to start this thread

too drunk

but your probably right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Zed Bank

I don't read into that much.

Honestly, how many people in this country do you think have ever even visited drinkaware.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Mutha

Hic.......whaa?........"falls down"...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

too many words

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Perhaps we can spend say 50 million on consultants to find out ? :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Why doesn't a net of brussel sprouts have a warning on them?

Something like: "may taste like dog faeces"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

BNMC wrote: »

Thought they were renamed "little cabbage Bast*rds" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

I'll have another... wha, heh....

degsie wrote: »
    I'll have another... wha, heh....

have a glass of jameson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

have a glass of jameson.

And a pint of wine when your ready.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

A big congratulations to the the organisers of this year's Alcohol Awareness Week who saw drinkaware.ie for the wolf in sheep's clothing that they are. They banned them from taking part due to their connection with the alcohol industry. This decision did not go down well with its chief executive Fionnuala Sheehan who responded:
    The organisers of this event, the Alcohol Forum and its supporting organisations, the HSE, Drugs.ie, Alcohol Action Ireland and the Royal College of Physicians have declared that participants in Alcohol Awareness Week ‘should have no connection with or receive funding/support in any form from the drinks industry’. I believe this approach to be totally misguided, counter-productive and contradictory”, she states and reminiscent of the ‘no Irish, no blacks need apply’ message of another era.

link

wazky wrote: »
    And a pint of wine when your ready.

One hit wonder boy hit me again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

*hic*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

the thing.is unlike smoking damages your health no matter how.little you smoke, alcohol.in moderation has a positive to neutral.effect on.life expextancy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

the thing.is unlike smoking damages your health no matter how.little you smoke, alcohol.in moderation has a positive to neutral.effect on.life expextancy

Negative effect on typing though. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Like Big Tobacco and the medical papers they released in the 50s that stated that smoking can improve respiratory function.

The proposed slogan for a Philip Morris ad campaign in the 90s was apparently, Marlboro! Who want's to be 90 anyway? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Negative effect on typing though. :p

smoking area of a pub on mobile, i am a very healthy conscious man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Because, apart from the few of you who eat dog faeces and know what they taste like, it would have no use to the rest of the world who dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,486 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

because that's like saying smoking is good for you, it's a blatant lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

I wasn't even aware that drinkaware.ie was on the internet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Yeah, if drinkaware really cared they'd have stuff like this on their site. An in depth look at how alcohol effects the body.

Why isn't this in our schools / colleges?Oh , thats right, because we're irish and love ignoring things!!

http://youtu.be/VHVd_ydoG8s

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I blame Des Bishop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

I try to always drink responsibly, but after a few, It goes out the window, usually along with the furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

'Dr sears - "you may wake up ...... Dead".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I was so angry when I read this I punched a kitten the shat myself. Damn you drinkaware.ie .......or the OP...... someone is to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

'Dr sears - "you may wake up ...... Dead".

Hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The Union of Students in Ireland are another body who should be commended for distancing themselves from drinkaware. They had this to say to them last November:
    “It is felt that we are best placed to develop a student alcohol awareness campaign independently through working with other bodies that are not funded by a self-regulating drinks industry,” wrote USI president Joe O’Connor and deputy Denise McCarthy.
    “It may be important to note for your own internal purposes that the continued promotion of the Arthur’s Day festival by Diageo further deepened our concerns regarding the credibility of your alcohol awareness campaign.”

link

Advertisement