Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver shaft length

Options
  • 25-04-2014 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

As above lads. I am 5"7 in height and have a TaylorMade Burner 860 with graphite shaft and 8.5 loft. Length is around 44 to 45inches. Anyway, at the range I hit a mixed bag of shots with it. Some decent and some not so good. I took a few swings with my cousins driver, a brand called 'Regal' which has a steel shaft, 10.5 loft and is around 42.5 inches in length. Its club head was also smaller than my TM.

Now the poor TaylorMade got murdered in the drive comparisons. The regal hit bang on line shot after shot and carried far more than the Burner. The burner I have had for a long time, but it feels awkward, or certainly the regal club feels more comfortable. I find the lie angle of the burner is best suited for a taller person......or perhaps the shaft is just too long?

I dont feel I can hit the burner consistantly and am considering either getting the shaft cut, replaced or even replace the club itself.

I will try get a video of me swinging the driver up tomorrow onto this post.

Opinions in the meantime, are welcome.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Standard length steel shafts are about an inch shorter than the equivalent graphite one, so that sounds about right. Standard length for a graphite driver shaft is 45", steel is 44".

At 5' 7" you're in and around the standard length for golf club shafts. You might be able to lose a half inch or so, but it's not significant. I'm about the same height and use standard length shafts.

Your loft is quite low at 8.5 degrees and you haven't said what the flex of your shaft is which could also be a factor. A quick rule of thumb on flex would be the length of your drives. If you carry 200-230 yards then a regular flex, less than that and it would be a softer flex etc. It might be worth your while to get a hold of one of the newer breed of Taylormade drivers such as the R11 which can be adjusted for loft and lie. I think they come with a standard loft of 10.5 but are adjustable 1 degree up or down. Useful to find out what loft suits you best.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

honestly, 8.5 degree head is madness for our level of ability. I had one years ago and 5 out of 10 shots it would go miles but the other 5 - anywhere!! Its too low a loft.
    I'd advise to try out a few more with higher lofts and see, i actually adjusted my R11 up from 10.5 to 11.5 and even that slight change has made a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

charlieIRL wrote: »
    honestly, 8.5 degree head is madness for our level of ability. I had one years ago and 5 out of 10 shots it would go miles but the other 5 - anywhere!! Its too low a loft.
    I'd advise to try out a few more with higher lofts and see, i actually adjusted my R11 up from 10.5 to 11.5 and even that slight change has made a huge difference.

Don't get this. Are you saying the loft has some major bearing on the direction?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Wombatman wrote: »
    Don't get this. Are you saying the loft has some major bearing on the direction?

from my experience and what i've been told by the pro i got my lessons of is that the lower the loft - the harder it is to hit the ball consistently. Poor hit = poor direction etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Carpo86

charlieIRL wrote: »
    from my experience and what i've been told by the pro i got my lessons of is that the lower the loft - the harder it is to hit the ball consistently. Poor hit = poor direction etc.

One caveat I would add to that is that it does depend on how you hit the ball. I don't have any problem getting my driver up in the air but I do have an issue keeping it straight (I lose a lot of drives out right).

I found that by going down from 10.5 to 9.5 I was able to keep my drives lower and straighter and reduce the number of times the dreaded high slice reared its ugly head...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

One of the more annoying aspects of golf manufacturers now, really no benefit but a lot of downside.

I grip down two and a half inches, no distance lost, way more control

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Your driver is more like the head of a 3 wood, spend 50 quid and buy any 4 year old driver like the Taylormade r9, ping g5 and the difference will be huge if u hit your 9 iron over 135 get a stiff shaft

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Carpo86 wrote: »
    One caveat I would add to that is that it does depend on how you hit the ball. I don't have any problem getting my driver up in the air but I do have an issue keeping it straight (I lose a lot of drives out right).

I found that by going down from 10.5 to 9.5 I was able to keep my drives lower and straighter and reduce the number of times the dreaded high slice reared its ugly head...

I had the exact same problem, I even went to an 8.5 loft at one time, I found it was because I had the face open pointing right. It ment I hit a lot of high slices even with an 8.5 head. Got (getting) the face square now and I have a 11.5 that hits the ball a lot lower.
    Loft was just compensating for my problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭newport2

Wombatman wrote: »

More loft will generate more backspin. Generally, the more backspin you generate, the straighter your drive will be.

Obviously there is an optimal amount, too much backspin and you'll balloon it. But the slower your swingspeed, the more loft (along with more flexible shaft) you need to get the optimal backspin. The faster your swing, less loft and stiffer shaft combination required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

My loft is 8.5! Actually have it adjusted to 7.5 at the moment cause last 2 rounds there was a lot of wind so wanted to keep the ball down that bit more!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭gonko

Picked up a 2012 cobra amp today, shaft length approx 43.5 inches - 9.5 loft and I hit way more consistent with it. I tried a TM Rockerballs or RBZ (can't remember extactly) and it felt like my current burner 860...offered no distance and certainly was worse in accuracy, shaft lengths were the same.

I was also on a golf tracker thingy, and with my current TM which had 8.5 loft, I was getting a trajectory of 4.5 degrees as the ball was leaving the face. Swing speed was 86mph and ball faded a little. No one spanner in the works, my wrist is in bits so I couldnt swing properly, was very painful, but beared it, in order to try out new gear :p , so needless to say my statistics were likely to be off a little.

One thing, my bad shot (drive) is a high slice....this new cobra has the club set to the open position (adjustable). I was thinking of putting it back to neutral but need to know if a torx screw will be ok. And also how tight does it need to be put back on. I got the club used and there was no tool with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Don't use a torx tool. Go into any driving range and ask to borrow the right tool they use for the demo clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

gonko wrote: »
    Picked up a 2012 cobra amp today, shaft length approx 43.5 inches - 9.5 loft and I hit way more consistent with it. I tried a TM Rockerballs or RBZ (can't remember extactly) and it felt like my current burner 860...offered no distance and certainly was worse in accuracy, shaft lengths were the same.

I was also on a golf tracker thingy, and with my current TM which had 8.5 loft, I was getting a trajectory of 4.5 degrees as the ball was leaving the face. Swing speed was 86mph and ball faded a little. No one spanner in the works, my wrist is in bits so I couldnt swing properly, was very painful, but beared it, in order to try out new gear :p , so needless to say my statistics were likely to be off a little.

One thing, my bad shot (drive) is a high slice....this new cobra has the club set to the open position (adjustable). I was thinking of putting it back to neutral but need to know if a torx screw will be ok. And also how tight does it need to be put back on. I got the club used and there was no tool with it.

If you put it back to neutral you will increase loft. Might cure your slice but will probably make it launch higher!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Oilbeefhooked!

gonko wrote: »
    As above lads. I am 5"7 in height and have a TaylorMade Burner 860 with graphite shaft and 8.5 loft. Length is around 44 to 45inches. Anyway, at the range I hit a mixed bag of shots with it. Some decent and some not so good. I took a few swings with my cousins driver, a brand called 'Regal' which has a steel shaft, 10.5 loft and is around 42.5 inches in length. Its club head was also smaller than my TM.

Now the poor TaylorMade got murdered in the drive comparisons. The regal hit bang on line shot after shot and carried far more than the Burner. The burner I have had for a long time, but it feels awkward, or certainly the regal club feels more comfortable. I find the lie angle of the burner is best suited for a taller person......or perhaps the shaft is just too long?

I dont feel I can hit the burner consistantly and am considering either getting the shaft cut, replaced or even replace the club itself.

I will try get a video of me swinging the driver up tomorrow onto this post.

Opinions in the meantime, are welcome.:)

Tiger Woods is over 6ft tall and has swung a 43.5 inch driver most of his career!!
    All new off the shelf drivers are too long for the majority of average height golfers, but the manufacturers know all amateur golfers are obsessed with distance ,
    so therefore we all sacrifice accuracy for the odd one that bombs off the middle of the clubface!?
    I got a new shaft off ebay and cut it down to 43.25 inches (im 5ft 10)
    and its the best thing i ever did - i feel so much more in control of the clubface, which results in so many more drives coming right off the sweetspot
    and going as far if not further than my old 44.5 inch shaft.
    My Confidence with the driver has soared , meaning i feel i can now swing harder knowing that i will find sweetspot.
    I Can genuinely say i have not lost any length off the tee, if anything i have gained distance from my old shaft!
    Might not be for everyone but it worked a treat for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Anybody ever trim their driver? Tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭the greatest game

I have nike 5900 squearehead, few years old, but its like goalies hurley behind a ball.
    Now I got the shaft shortened too, its about 43.5 also, and I am just 6 foot,
    I find I can can control the club much better and it just feels a lot better.

Tiger Woods is over 6ft tall and has swung a 43.5 inch driver most of his career!!
    All new off the shelf drivers are too long for the majority of average height golfers, but the manufacturers know all amateur golfers are obsessed with distance ,
    so therefore we all sacrifice accuracy for the odd one that bombs off the middle of the clubface!?
    I got a new shaft off ebay and cut it down to 43.25 inches (im 5ft 10)
    and its the best thing i ever did - i feel so much more in control of the clubface, which results in so many more drives coming right off the sweetspot
    and going as far if not further than my old 44.5 inch shaft.
    My Confidence with the driver has soared , meaning i feel i can now swing harder knowing that i will find sweetspot.
    I Can genuinely say i have not lost any length off the tee, if anything i have gained distance from my old shaft!
    Might not be for everyone but it worked a treat for me :D

Advertisement