Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Practice The Truth

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

I barely get time to play once a week never mind practice, that doesnt even change during the summer as I have a long work commute which really interferes with my golf. The sooner the better I win the Lotto.................

I was always bouncing around the 18-20 hc mark until I got a couple of cuts which took me to 13 in mid 2012, I've crept back up to 15 but am generally playing steadier golf and my practice levels have stayed the same, virtually nil.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

18 holes a week competition = 4 hours
    9 holes practice a week = 2 hours
    4 holes practice every 2 weeks = 1 hour

I reckon 6.5 hours a week. Handicap improving from 18.4 to 16.6 at present but scope for a lot more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,997 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

It has often been said to me - that golfers have unrealistic expectations of where there game is and where it is going.

I think we will see a bit of a picture here.

I think the game is enjoyable as it is - but the real killer of the game for some - is unrealistic expectations.
    But for some this is part of the fun. Like a gambler losing in a way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

1 round a week 4 hours.
    1 practice round a week 4 hours.
    4 range visits 3 hours.
    1 pitch and putt game every two weeks 1 hour (per week)
    2 Chipping sessions 1.5 hour
    2 Putting before rounds 1 hour
    2 Home indoor putting and chipping 1 hour
    3 Home indoor swinging 1 hour

16.5 hours a week. Need to spend more time putting I think.

Progress http://golfshot.com/members/0492182300

Wow. Wombat.

so that is the most. Some weeks I wouldn't be far off that.

I know from endurance sports . 20 hours + is out there.

Golf is s little different.
    But a feeling there is one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I thought I was playing/practicing a good bit but this thread has shown me the errors of my ways - need more practice/playing time. Average summer sessions below (a lot less in winter)

Playing 6 hrs (1 competition game a week but occasionally 2 or 3 if playing a scratch cup, open or work society)
    Long game session 1.5hrs (either practice range or playing a few holes)
    Short game session 1.5hrs (generally before and after competition rounds)
    Putting 1hrs (putting mat at home)
    Total 10.0 hrs
    Handicap 9 - dis-improving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Playing in a competitive round is not practice as you would not be actively working on anything. Non-competitive rounds you can work on course management/recovery shots etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

6-8 hours of practice a week, then play a round on the weekend, might get on a few holes after work during the summer nights

Improving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Gone a bit mad the last 7 days now that I look at it.

5 Games. (20 hours)

About 6 on the range/putting green/chipping area

More because the weather I couldn't resist. Had one of my worst rounds yesterday then one of my best 9 today on a course I never played before.

• Advertisement

Playing in a competitive round is not practice as you would not be actively working on anything. Non-competitive rounds you can work on course management/recovery shots etc...

But is it not practice / experience for a competitive round.

This is something people need to practice and get experience at.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Usually play 18 holes at least 3 times a week, some times 4.
    2 of those would be competition. Although I managed to play 5 days in row from last Thursday (3 competitive rounds). Might spend 20 minutes on putting green before starting a round.
    I never go to the range but might spend 30 minutes chipping in the garden on the days I don't get to the course

Minimum for me is
    3 rounds x 4 = 12
    Putting green 3 x 20 = 1
    Chipping 4 x 30 = 2
    So a total of 15 hours
    Improving....................8 hc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

mafc wrote: »
    Usually play 18 holes at least 3 times a week, some times 4.
    2 of those would be competition. Although I managed to play 5 days in row from last Thursday (3 competitive rounds). Might spend 20 minutes on putting green before starting a round.
    I never go to the range but might spend 30 minutes chipping in the garden on the days I don't get to the course

Minimum for me is
    3 rounds x 4 = 12
    Putting green 3 x 20 = 1
    Chipping 4 x 30 = 2
    So a total of 15 hours
    Improving....................8 hc

Some life!

There you go mafc

We are beginning to see a picture of 12 to 15 for the improving mid to low handicap player,

This game is a disaster time wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 quinda

18 holes every weekend plus usually another during the week which is matchplay at this time of year (in too many match play competitions!). Try to get another 9 holes of practice early morning mid week and some time in the club short game area.

18*2 - 8
    9*1 - 2
    Range - 2
    Total - 12

7.8 currently and improving.

But is it not practice / experience for a competitive round.

This is something people need to practice and get experience at.

No you practice to learn/improve a skill in a controlled manor where there is no adverse outcome. It must have a purpose so you have confidence and trust when you compete.

Competition is all about getting the job done. Experience of a competitive round (or more likely rounds) is useless if you don't do anything with it afterwards. You should be using this experience to identify areas for practice in order to make you more competitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

No you practice to learn/improve a skill in a controlled manor where there is no adverse outcome. It must have a purpose so you have confidence and trust when you compete.

Competition is all about getting the job done. Experience of a competitive round (or more likely rounds) is useless if you don't do anything with it afterwards. You should be using this experience to identify areas for practice in order to make you more competitive.

but wouldn't most pros say that when practicing you should be creating a competitive scenario , as no pressure practice won't necessarily translate to the competitive round

Yes but you are getting feedback on your game. Without it you wouldn't know what to practice.
    It is still time spent at the activity. It provides confidence .

The best range player in the world can be poor at putting together a good round.

Also in a round. You are in deep rough, poor lies, divots , hanging lies.
    Very difficult or rare a person goes out to practice that.

You need experience.

but wouldn't most pros say that when practicing you should be creating a competitive scenario , as no pressure practice won't necessarily translate to the competitive round

No I didn't say practice should not be competitive....

Most amateurs practice is internal focused, by that I mean they work on swing mechanics, body position etc......

By rights they should be devoting the same, I spend more, amount of practice to working with an external focus of attention. Here you are forgetting about technique and focusing on the shot outcome. Drills, like most of the common putting drills, work like this but they also introduce the competitiveness to our practice routines.

Ultimately there is no adverse outcome as you can always restart the drill or practice routine. I'm not convinced that you can introduce the same pressure of completion into practice but that's my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Maybe in a practice round but when at the range or practice area I dont think you should bring competitive scenarios into it (unless you are making practice more fun)

Advertisement