Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hybrid Golf Club

• 19-06-2013 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any advice. What loft should I be looking at. I would be a high handicapper at 18. So I guess the bigger the loft the better for me.

Any views on the this club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

It depends what club you are replacing. I presume you are getting it to replace one of your irons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Hi,
    All high hadicappers should have 2 hybrids at least. I would say 22 and 18 degrees and even a 26 degree one if you struggle with your 5 iron.
    What do you currently have in your set. I would suggest getting rid of the 3 and 4 iron and even the 5 wood if you carry one and going with the 22 and 18. All the Taylormade Hybrids are good, stay away for titleist they are hard to hit.
    Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

I'm finding it hard to control my iron play from 5 and up.
    From the reviews on you tube etc these clubs seem to be a must for all golfers.
    I don't play with any woods. So par 5's are a challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Get a 22 first and see how you go it is around the middle of the bunch then you can get a higher or lower loft if/when you get on with it.
    Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I'm just starting out and have a 4 and 5 hybrid in the bag. Use the 4 off the tee a lot at the moment as the bigger clubs are swinging off left.
    Find them quite useful and easy enough to hit with a good lie. Have to say I'd reach for an iron first but that's just a comfort thing for me and with practice can see the hybrids becoming my favourite clubs in the bag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I really don't think any golfer should be without them at this stage.

Look at the likes of Y. E. Yang on tour, he doesn't carry anything higher than a 6 iron in the bag, rest are hybrids. So don't just think they are a club for high handicappers

I think maybe some purists would say they'd rather hit a 3 iron, but screw purists :D , you want the clubs in the bag that will get you there in the fewest shots possible, and for me at least, I wouldn't contemplate not having my 18 & 22 degree in the bag

I also think they are a must, I hit my 3 Wilson hybrid 200-205 yards consistently. Don't even know where I got the club found it in the house. Much easier to hit than a 3 iron with similar distance.

sorry to reopen this discussion but looking to replace my Titleist 3 iron with a hybrid over the summer, just wondering what is best loft for replacing this with? also is there any leading brands with regards hybrids, my clubs at moment are Cobra driver, Wilson 3 wood, Callaway 7 wood, and Titleist iorns would I be safe to go with any of these brands or should i look at alternatives,

Cheers

ronnoco13 wrote: »
    sorry to reopen this discussion but looking to replace my Titleist 3 iron with a hybrid over the summer, just wondering what is best loft for replacing this with? also is there any leading brands with regards hybrids, my clubs at moment are Cobra driver, Wilson 3 wood, Callaway 7 wood, and Titleist iorns would I be safe to go with any of these brands or should i look at alternatives,

Cheers

Look up online and see what loft your 3 iron is and replace it with a hybrid of that loft to keep consistent gapping. I have the new wilson fg tour hybrid and it's fantastic. Great club and easy to hit. Adjustability aswell to get desired loft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

I have a 19 deg and and a 23 deg. Great clubs for me ...... at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Cheers

I'm confused, surely your 3 iron is longer than a 7 wood? In my case a 3 hybrid is in roughly around the 5 wood distance (probably a bit less roll) but allows more shot choices than a 5 wood; that's why I carry one. I've never really seen the need for a 3 iron, it's a world of pain I'd prefer to stay away from ;)

hey bustercherry, yeah my 3 iorn when i hit it well is longer than my 7 wood, but infortunately i hit it well 1/2 out of 10 i.e the world of pain i only have the 3 iorn becasue it came with set when i got it as hand me down, really looking at hybrid for more consistency over my 3 iorn

hey bustercherry, yeah my 3 iorn when i hit it well is longer than my 7 wood, but infortunately i hit it well 1/2 out of 10 i.e the world of pain i only have the 3 iorn becasue it came with set when i got it as hand me down, really looking at hybrid for more consistency over my 3 iorn

yeah so where does the 7 fit in? 4 iron distance?

I have sldr 4 hybrid in the bag at the moment, loft lowered 1 degree as the 3 wouldn't fit the gap between my 4 iron and 3 wood. Nice looking club at address and can keep the ball flight down.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

I'm confused, surely your 3 iron is longer than a 7 wood? In my case a 3 hybrid is in roughly around the 5 wood distance (probably a bit less roll) but allows more shot choices than a 5 wood; that's why I carry one. I've never really seen the need for a 3 iron, it's a world of pain I'd prefer to stay away from ;)

I don't see how this could be the case, a 7 wood would be around 23 degrees which is what 2 degree weaker than a 3 iron but with a longer shaft, so I would expect them to be about the same distance wise. A 1 iron would be seen as a 5 wood equivalent but I suppose I'm working on the old standard lofts but the way taylor made and the like have gone with irons I'm sure 23 degrees would be a 4/5 iron loft in there money :rolleyes: Anyways I've a 20 degree callaway xhot pro which I can carry about 210 yards were my 3 iron off a tee would never carry more than 200 at my very best strike.

So, to the original question I think somewhere around a 22-24 degree would be a good place to start as it's going to be a good bit easier to hit that a 3 or 4 iron, but I would make sure to go to somewhere with a range so you can see how you hit a few different model, as I've had some massive differences in performance with hybrids with the same basic specs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

mike12 wrote: »
    Hi,
    All high hadicappers should have 2 hybrids at least. I would say 22 and 18 degrees and even a 26 degree one if you struggle with your 5 iron.
    What do you currently have in your set. I would suggest getting rid of the 3 and 4 iron and even the 5 wood if you carry one and going with the 22 and 18. All the Taylormade Hybrids are good, stay away for titleist they are hard to hit.
    Mike

Titleist hard to hit.... Is this an opinion or is there some documented facts

The reason I ask is that I 'm currently looking at adding a Titleist 910 Hybrid to the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Macker1 wrote: »
    Titleist hard to hit.... Is this an opinion of is there some documented facts

The reason I ask is that I 'm currently looking at adding a Titleist 910 Hybrid to the bag.

I hit the Cobra Amp (current) , Wilson Fybrid, Taylormade R9, Cobra Baffler and the 910 hybrid, all pretty much the same to hit.

yeah so where does the 7 fit in? 4 iron distance?

I have sldr 4 hybrid in the bag at the moment, loft lowered 1 degree as the 3 wouldn't fit the gap between my 4 iron and 3 wood. Nice looking club at address and can keep the ball flight down.

to break it down a bit more i hit 4i roughly 170-180, 7 wood 180-190 but is poor from an rough without a good lie, can hit 3i 190-205 but not consistently as i said earlier around 2/10 shots, essentially the reason i am looking at hybrid/rescue is for additional options from bit tee, fairway and rough with confidence that i may strike it more consistently than my 3i from either

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Ping G15's
    17degree ~190yards
    23degree ~165yards
    27degree ~155yards

to break it down a bit more i hit 4i roughly 170-180, 7 wood 180-190 but is poor from an rough without a good lie, can hit 3i 190-205 but not consistently as i said earlier around 2/10 shots, essentially the reason i am looking at hybrid/rescue is for additional options from bit tee, fairway and rough with confidence that i may strike it more consistently than my 3i from either

Yeah to be honest i'd dump the 3 iron. 2/10 shots is a long way from being consistent. :)

I'd be looking at a Cobra Baffler, Adams Idea, Callaway Xhot. They are designed to get the ball in the air easier and much more forgiving from a a variety of lies/off centre hits etc...

Titliest/SLDR are very less forgiving when you don't hit the ball clean and lower launching. The Titliest leading edge is very square which makes it a bit more harder to hit out of bad lies too.

Macker1 wrote: »
    Titleist hard to hit.... Is this an opinion or is there some documented facts

Read the reviews. If that doesn't convince you, hit some bad shots with one and from a variety of lies.

Don't get me wrong it's a cracking club when you hit the ball clean but ultimately golf is about shooting low scores and not hitting good shots occasionally. For me I wouldn't be as confident hitting it from bad lies compared to my old baffler/new Sldr, leaving me with less shot choices. Just my opinion though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭dazcush

I'm intrigued by this thread. The only hybrid I own is one of those crappy Dunlop yokes you pick up for 15 quid up in Sportsworld/Heatons, the shaft bends too much during my swing so I stopped using it. There's a massive gap in my clubs, I go from driver (titleist 910 d3), which I hit about 240 when I get it to go straight, to my iron set 4-PW (Wilson DI9s). I'm happy enough with all of my irons, I would consistently get 175-185 out of the 4I.

I'd be interested if any of your opinions on what I should to do to plug that gap in my clubs? Add a Hybrid 3-iron equivalent, and/or a 3W? I don't have an official handicap, but I play off about 19-20 generally.

thanks

Daz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

I left out my 3 iron and 5 wood as they were two clubs I very seldom/never used and replaced them with a 21 deg and 24 deg hybrids I got from my brother when he went travelling.

I find the 21 deg very good and although I don't get massive distance out of it (that's as a result of the swing, not the club), I seem to find the accuracy good. On most long par 4/par 5's it is always the club I take for the second shot, depending on lie of course. Borrow one for a round or two or even hit the range and see what the feel of it is like before you splash the cash

dazcush wrote: »
    I'm intrigued by this thread. The only hybrid I own is one of those crappy Dunlop yokes you pick up for 15 quid up in Sportsworld/Heatons, the shaft bends too much during my swing so I stopped using it. There's a massive gap in my clubs, I go from driver (titleist 910 d3), which I hit about 240 when I get it to go straight, to my iron set 4-PW (Wilson DI9s). I'm happy enough with all of my irons, I would consistently get 175-185 out of the 4I.

I'd be interested if any of your opinions on what I should to do to plug that gap in my clubs? Add a Hybrid 3-iron equivalent, and/or a 3W? I don't have an official handicap, but I play off about 19-20 generally.

thanks

Daz

i would think fill the gap with a 3 wood and a hybrid thrown in, possibly a 5 wood depends on your preference, any iron lower than a four can be hard to hit consistently well in my experience, hence why i will defo be losing the 3 iorn and bringing in a hybrid

Advertisement